EV storage maintenance

Coho

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Grand Touring, Mach E
Is there any consensus regarding seasonal storage of an EV, any EV? Looking for advice that results in preservation of battery health. Of course there are other issues with EV's such as weight and effects on tires. But mostly concerned about not damaging batteries and systems. Of course I would try to take the Lucid with me but then that brings up the reliability issue. We are specifically dealing with a Lucid and a Mach E.

If you can maintain a charge level of 60-65% from what I remember is the best way to store the L-ion batteries.

If you can maintain a charge level of 60-65% from what I remember is the best way to store the L-ion batteries.
I kept my Tesla in CT for 6 months at a time for 5 years and just plugged into my 50 amp outlet. Only had one issue when 12V battery died and that was easy to remedy. I spoke to several people at Lucid and they agreed that was the right approach and I agree with @hydbob that 60 ish % is a good number. I might do that with my Lucid this winter or might ship it down. Haven’t decided yet.

I’ve been told to just keep it plugged in so it can maintain optimal battery temperature and charge.

I’ve been told to just keep it plugged in so it can maintain optimal battery temperature and charge.
Since I don't own ANY ev yet, will that automatically keep the battery charged at whatever you set things up at or will it require some manipulation via the app or whatever since you are away?

Since I don't own ANY ev yet, will that automatically keep the battery charged at whatever you set things up at or will it require some manipulation via the app or whatever since you are away?
The former. Set it and forget it.

I just back from from a two week trip out of town. Before leaving, I set the Lucid's charge limit to 70% and left the car plugged in. I woke the car up using the app every 3 or 4 days and each time it charged back from 69% to 70% in less than 10 minutes. With no one home and the car not waking up from my cell phone, the phantom battery drain is not an issue. During this time the garage temperature ranged from 89 to 91 degrees. Based on this, I don't think there is an issue leaving the car for a month without plugging it in. Other than curiosity, there was no reason for me to wake the car up every 3 to 4 days.

Getting ready to store my new AGT for the summer in Tucson (I don’t think it would like the 6 mile dirt road to my Colorado cabin) and have a questions related to the information above.
1. Sounds like keeping it plugged in and setting a 60% limit will keep the main battery happy and healthy. However, will this also keep the 12V battery charged too or do I need to add a trickle charger? Also how much drain is there for the 12V during summer storage, is it just running the computer to control the charger?
2. I assume that for a 6000 lb car, the tires will not be happy parked in one position. Should I have a neighbor run it around the block periodically or think about jacking it up and put on blocks take the weight off the tires all together?

Getting ready to store my new AGT for the summer in Tucson (I don’t think it would like the 6 mile dirt road to my Colorado cabin) and have a questions related to the information above.
1. Sounds like keeping it plugged in and setting a 60% limit will keep the main battery happy and healthy. However, will this also keep the 12V battery charged too or do I need to add a trickle charger? Also how much drain is there for the 12V during summer storage, is it just running the computer to control the charger?
2. I assume that for a 6000 lb car, the tires will not be happy parked in one position. Should I have a neighbor run it around the block periodically or think about jacking it up and put on blocks take the weight off the tires all together?
1. No need for a trickle charger. Unlike, say, the Ioniq 5 (at least in the past), the Lucid does charge the 12v when plugged in.

2. No idea, tbh.

I just back from from a two week trip out of town. Before leaving, I set the Lucid's charge limit to 70% and left the car plugged in. I woke the car up using the app every 3 or 4 days and each time it charged back from 69% to 70% in less than 10 minutes. With no one home and the car not waking up from my cell phone, the phantom battery drain is not an issue. During this time the garage temperature ranged from 89 to 91 degrees. Based on this, I don't think there is an issue leaving the car for a month without plugging it in. Other than curiosity, there was no reason for me to wake the car up every 3 to 4 days.

I think it might be best to leave a stored car plugged in, if possible. Even when plugged in, my car will drop a percentage point or two before it recharges back up to the limit. However, the battery management system will come on periodically to keep the battery pack at optimal temperature. An unplugged car will have to draw the power to do that from the pack itself, and you would likely see much more loss over time than 1-2%. By checking every 3-4 days, you might just not have been catching the car at the point it was recharging itself from deeper charge losses caused by battery management sessions.

There really is no downside to keeping a parked EV plugged in, as all of them are programmed to charge only as needed. There can, however, be downsides to leaving the car unplugged for long periods, especially when temperatures might require a lot of battery management cycles.

About to leave my 18 month old AGT in CT for 6 months. I assume nothing has changed in recommended course of action. I plan on setting a 60% limit in a heated garage, have someone move the car from time to time (hmp10 issue with his tires acknowledging that was probably heat related), and making sure I remotely accept all the software updates. Anything else? I'm really going to miss the Lucid.

But first a road trip to D.C. without any range anxiety!

I think it might be best to leave a stored car plugged in, if possible. Even when plugged in, my car will drop a percentage point or two before it recharges back up to the limit. However, the battery management system will come on periodically to keep the battery pack at optimal temperature. An unplugged car will have to draw the power to do that from the pack itself, and you would likely see much more loss over time than 1-2%. By checking every 3-4 days, you might just not have been catching the car at the point it was recharging itself from deeper charge losses caused by battery management sessions.

There really is no downside to keeping a parked EV plugged in, as all of them are programmed to charge only as needed. There can, however, be downsides to leaving the car unplugged for long periods, especially when temperatures might require a lot of battery management cycles.
This winter we are planning to got to Palm Desert/Scottsdale for 5 weeks.

I planned to leave our cars 80% unplugged. (AGT and i4)

Even if they lose 50% while we are gone, I don't see the downside. What am I missing here.

Nervous if there is a power outage while our cars are plugged, that it could cause a problem when the power comes back on(power surges).

Comments and education on this are welcome.

This winter we are planning to got to Palm Desert/Scottsdale for 5 weeks.

I planned to leave our cars 80% unplugged. (AGT and i4)

Even if they lose 50% while we are gone, I don't see the downside. What am I missing here.

Nervous if there is a power outage while our cars are plugged, that it could cause a problem when the power comes back on(power surges).

Comments and education on this are welcome.
If you do not wake your AGT up, it will lose about 9% in those five weeks. I don't see any issues doing like you have planned.

If you do not wake your AGT up, it will lose about 9% in those five weeks. I don't see any issues doing like you have planned.
Thank you.

You confirmed my initial thoughts. Did not see a downside.

Will bump up my tire pressure to 48 lbs(21 inch) so as to help prevent any flat spots from occurring.

Thank you.

You confirmed my initial thoughts. Did not see a downside.

Will bump up my tire pressure to 48 lbs(21 inch) so as to help prevent any flat spots from occurring.
My only concern is what is if there a number of software updates. Difficult to know how much power they would drain(I suppose the length of time for the update would be a factor).

My only concern is what is if there a number of software updates. Difficult to know how much power they would drain(I suppose the length of time for the update would be a factor).
There’s also absolutely no downside in leaving it plugged in. It isn’t constantly drawing power, and it’s arguably better for the car in case there are SW updates or anything.

Back