EV Newb with GT on order and High Anxiety šŸ˜¬

I love the replies and the enthusiasm for the car from everyone. Iā€™m always hesitant with change in general, hence my anxiety. And by the way - I only wish premium gas was $2.50 in Texas - I pay on average about $3.60 for 93 and I have a 20 gallon tank, so about $75 gets me around 400 miles (and $300 oil changes arenā€™t fun either). Looking at my utility provider here, I think I get charged .075/kw if I am understanding this right:

MONTHLY BILL
Rate
$ 9.50 Service Availability Charge
Energy Charge
$ 0.07503 Per kWh for all kWh
Peak Capacity Charge*
$ 0.02150 Per kWh for all kWh in excess of 600 kWh
*Peak Capacity Charge is applicable only during the summer billing period (June - September).

Honestly Iā€™m not concerned about the delta in the ā€œfuelā€ costs as much as I am the hassle factor and the range anxiety, which probably isnā€™t warranted. I am looking for a pleasurable exciting experience without a lot of stress - but then I guess so is everyone else. šŸ˜œ
@Leftlane - you really donā€™t have to worry so much about it. With the range of an Air GT youā€™ll have no problem with finding sufficient chargers for road trips, but having a home charger is really the way to go for everyday driving.

We have an Air GT and it still makes me smile every time I drive it.

We bought our first EV back in 2016 and there has been no looking back since then. We had been ā€˜all inā€™ on Tesla until Elon started acting in ways that we found unsupportable, and then gave Lucid a try; and we found that Lucid takes everything that weā€™ve like about EVs to another level entirely. Super happy with our Air GT, canā€™t wait to add a Gravity to our other garage space!

Where can you get solar that pays off in a few years?

Using Ed's Mound math /s .... if I lived in a place as backwards as Texas, I would definitely get solar / battery back-up installed.

I think if you use practical math you won't see the pay-off so soon. That's because one doesn't consider the big picture.
Two conventionally equal homes. One has solar. Which one will you buy?
What is your comfort worth ?
What is the "cool factor" worth ?
How much do you value human civilization ?

My wife won't let me do it. She says we need to move to a condo in the city, because I'm getting too old to keep taking care of the house and yard.
I am not an inside person. I'd rather die than live in an urban environment. In the neighborhood they call me: " that guy who's always standing in his yard looking at his shrubberies." Or, " that creepy guy who's always out in his front yard at 3 am staring up at the stars."
I love Philadelphia...go there weekly if not more often. It's a small-town city; very walkable. But ... scares me. I grew up in rural NH ... next door neighbor was a mile down a dirt road...dairy farmer. Nobody locked doors or vehicles. Daughter lives in Manhattan, son in Chicago. Nope.

I might call a few contractors and do this behind her back, then tell her,
"Well sweetheart, we have to stay here now to make it economically sensible."

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.

@Leftlane - you really donā€™t have to worry so much about it. With the range of an Air GT youā€™ll have no problem with finding sufficient chargers for road trips, but having a home charger is really the way to go for everyday driving.

We have an Air GT and it still makes me smile every time I drive it.

We bought our first EV back in 2016 and there has been no looking back since then. We had been ā€˜all inā€™ on Tesla until Elon started acting in ways that we found unsupportable, and then gave Lucid a try; and we found that Lucid takes everything that weā€™ve like about EVs to another level entirely. Super happy with our Air GT, canā€™t wait to add a Gravity to our other garage space!
You could always get one of those bumper stickers for the Tesla saying "BOUGHT IT BEFORE I KNEW HOW AWFUL HE WAS". I saw it one a few days ago.

I'll add that I've had a GT for over a year, and it still makes me smile every time I drive it too.

Just because you mentioned shopping between a plaid and GT Iā€™ll throw in a shameless plug to a post I did about two weeks ago around the two cars after owning both:

Thanks koflo - I did indeed read your excellent comparison. I know plenty of people who absolutely love their Teslas, including Plaid and all the other models - now I can see that most of the Lucid owners are just as enchanted with their choice. I am hoping the Air scratches me right where I itch, but I gotta say, itā€™s hard to wait (even for the test drive) because I am impulsive and always want immediate gratification.

By the way - this forum rocks.

If you have a 911 ... I don't think the Model S is for you. You'd probably prefer something that is more unique and "car-like" with higher quality materials, engineering & workmanship. I considered other brands and models but Model S wasn't one of them ... there are just SO MANY of those in Southern CA. I had all intentions of going with the Touring, but all the incentives offered "made me" upgrade. :)

Is the NEMA charging cord for a 240 outlet included, or just the regular 120? With the current deal Iā€™ll get the level 2 charger for sure, but just wondering.
Youā€™ll get both connectors with the car. Enjoy! was hard to tell - have you locked in your config and do you have a delivery date?

Only other thing to consider is that since youā€™re particularly focused on range, you could get the 19ā€ wheels swapped in before taking delivery. Yes, the 21s look the sportiest and sexiest, but opting for 19s gets you:
  • significant range increase,
  • more comfortable ride especially over bumps,
  • longer tire life,
  • cheaper tire replacement when you finally do need them,
  • an upfront cost savings on the car (I think?),
  • and slightly quieter ride.
Not quite as sporty handling, but still very good and I think the design of Lucidā€™s 19s is not too bad, certainly better than many makersā€™ ugly ā€œaeroā€ wheel design. You can play with it in the configuration to see how theyā€™d look.

I do get the appeal of the sweet 21s from a design standpoint, but for me those trade offs pushed me to the 19s and I donā€™t regret it. Like you, iā€˜m lucky to have sports cars when that itch needs scratching so I didnā€™t need my Air to be as all-out sporty as possible.

Regardless, youā€™ll love the car and the helpful people on this forum. Enjoy!

Last edited:
If you get a '23, you get two years of free EA charging I'm fairly sure. I heard 24's come with just 1
it appears that with the latest changes in pricing the free EA charging has been eliminated

So if you can live with it, get into the right lane (ha ha), set the Adaptive Cruse to 75, and relax
But why? Why buy an expensive car like the Lucid Air and drive it like a Prius (and in Arizona even Prii go faster than 75 on the freeway)? If one is making a long distance trip, I understand the desire to maximize range. Otherwise, with a Lucid Air, drive it like you stole it. A few extra electrons from your home charger...no big deal. Just drive it and enjoy it. It is a "driver's" car.

But why? Why buy an expensive car like the Lucid Air and drive it like a Prius (and in Arizona even Prii go faster than 75 on the freeway)? If one is making a long distance trip, I understand the desire to maximize range. Otherwise, with a Lucid Air, drive it like you stole it. A few extra electrons from your home charger...no big deal. Just drive it and enjoy it. It is a "driver's" car.
I think that's part of the beauty of it all. You can take it easy and go 70-75 and get class-leading range and efficiency, or you can cruise at 80+ to get to your next stop quickly, take a 20-30 minute charging/pit stop, and then keep on cruising. The Lucid does both very well and makes either traveling style easy and pleasant.

I totally agree, but I'm scared. I got the car in Sept. '22, and have only been in Swift mode a few times for a few minutes. Never been in Sprint mode at all. In another month or two it should be warm enough to put the summer rubber back on and look for the Blue Bear...if I have the guts.

Which is weird. Had no problem with the 600hp/600 torques twin turbo V8 in the wagon. The Lucid is wicked quick...I feel more like I'm hanging on than driving.

I totally agree, but I'm scared. I got the car in Sept. '22, and have only been in Swift mode a few times for a few minutes. Never been in Sprint mode at all. In another month or two it should be warm enough to put the summer rubber back on and look for the Blue Bear...if I have the guts.

Which is weird. Had no problem with the 600hp/600 torques twin turbo V8 in the wagon. The Lucid is wicked quick...I feel more like I'm hanging on than driving.
The suspension tuning in Sprint is the best part. Itā€™s so firm and planted it feels more like youā€™re on rails than on rubber. Makes it much easier to let the speedo climb higher and higher.

Thanks all - right now my configuration is GT in Cosmos Silver w/Santa Cruz and the 20ā€ wheels. I know there is about 50 extra miles of range with the 19s and my delivery advisor is on alert that after my test drive I might change to the 19s as there werenā€™t any listed in inventory with the smaller wheels and SC interior. And yes, I will get a credit by dropping down - I just really donā€™t like Pirellis and much prefer the Michelins, which I would change to when the first set is shot anyway. I do think the 20s look better and probably have a little more meat to the width, so weā€™ll see - I thought it might be a good compromise between the other two sizes. The 21s are definitely gorgeous but they are out for me - way too many stories here and elsewhere about blowouts and I would prefer a smoother ride. The car is essentially available now but I have delayed it until after my test drive this week - I have the VIN etc but have to drive one first before I commit.

I am 100% certain that I will not be driving in a way that maximizes efficiency so maybe it is smarter to go 19s and the home charger and just not sweat it. Iā€™ll likely keep my Cayenne for the really long trips if Iā€™m nervous, since itā€˜s value is a direct inverse to the high mileage and itā€™s worth more to me than anyone else. Whatā€™s funny is how rarely I really get on it in my 911 - I drive that like a super scared 95 year old and only put about 1k miles a year on it.

Where can you get solar that pays off in a few years?
Some families near me that have multiple evs (6 teslas.. wtf) and huge solar arrays have paid their solar off in about 6-7 years with the help of the numerous credits and rebates you get on purchasing solar, which is admittedly more than ā€œa few years.ā€ Still a pretty short time, though!

The 21s are definitely gorgeous but they are out for me - way too many stories here and elsewhere about blowouts and I would prefer a smoother ride.
It is a shame that Michelin doesn't make its ultraperformance summer tires in the Lucid 21" size. My Genesis GV60P has 21" tires (255/40R21) and I have >13K miles on it and no blowouts. But my car came with Michelin Primacy A/S tires which I intend to replace with Michelin Pilot tires within a year or so (and they are made in my size). But when I go to TireRack or Discount Tire, I only see the Pirelli 21" tires in the Lucid size. My tires do have a tiny bit larger profile than the Lucid.

BINGO!
In short trips, I drive 2.5~3.1 mi/kWh on 21ā€. Just enjoy your GT, donā€™t bother compete with EPA #. Trying to drive to 3.8 mi/kWh on 21ā€ is just a torture. You can unintentionally achieve that in rush hour freeway traffic.

Hi all - totally new to even the idea of going EV, and appreciate all the great info on this site. My neighbor recently got his Rivian R1S delivered - after checking it out, not for me. Coworker took me around in his Model S Plaid - supreme fun, dated appearance, but strong charging network. I like different so I checked out Lucid and found their specials on 23s, devoured every review I could find, read a ton of threads on here, etc etc. Can I ask a few possibly ignorant questions? The ordering websites arenā€™t exactly filled with any details or many pictures, which didnā€™t stop me from ordering even though Iā€™ve never even driven one (test drive scheduled for 2/21).

1. The GT I ordered is Cosmos Silver with Santa Cruz, 20ā€ wheels, glass canopy. The special includes DD Pro and SS Pro - do I have to also pay a subscription, or is it like it either has it or it doesnā€™t?
2. I love the range but the threads about charging, especially at EA, has me nervous for road trips across Texas. I will get the home charger (now $1000 off!), but I do a lot of driving between SA-Dallas, SA-Houston, etc. so Iā€™ll need the charging infrastructure oftenā€¦.and Iā€™ve been told no free charging anymore. Is it gonna cost me more than gas when Iā€™m away from home?
3. I guess the delivery process has changed, because my options are to go to Dallas or Houston for delivery, or it will be dropped off at my house in San Antonio where Iā€™ll do a virtual delivery - not a huge fan of that. Seems like others had an at home delivery with a real person no matter where they were. Any experience with the virtual version?
4. SiriusXM- Iā€™m a little confused on what is in the car. I have had satellite radio since it started and donā€™t want to go without now - do I stream from the app on my phone or is it like any other (even low end) car that has Sirius as a source?
5. Service - there is a service center in Austin about an hour away - will the mobile service come to me? I honestly donā€™t have the time to take it to them and coordinate how Iā€™m getting home.
6. I went with the GT because I know my personality flaws and I get envious if I know there is a better version out there - Sapphire doesnā€™t count for me because I would never spend that much on a car. I like the range, power etc but is the GT overkill for my first foray into EV world? Itā€™s really the range more than the goodies that got me.
7. I found a 2022 Model S Plaid loaded up and low miles near me for half the price of when it was new - I couldnā€™t stop giggling the entire time I drove it. It is tempting to spend way less and have it today, hence all my questions right this minute before I do something stupid šŸ˜œ

Right now I daily drive a Cayenne GTS w/150k miles on it that has been rock solid, and I have a 911 Turbo cab as my fun car. Do I need the insane performance in an EV too? I think I do, but I think a lot of dumb things. My 911 is tuned and is very fast, but that Plaid was on another level. Taycan is a non starter due to price and range.

Overall I want to be excited about my car 100% of the time. Itā€™s a lot of money and I hate boring. Iā€™m asking on the Lucid forum and not on Tesla forums for a reason - I think this is the right car for me but have a few hangups that maybe shouldnā€™t be a big deal at all (charging, audio, software, etc). I promise I have searched and read everything on here for the last 2 weeks so please be gentle - I think my head is in the right place. Thanks for indulging me on my very first post.
My Lucid delivered to my home last month and just completed first roadtrip from SA/Boerne to Houston this weekend. Charged up at home to 100% and hit the road, driving very aggressively at 90 mph, here's what showed on arrival (attached). Also did some driving around Houston that evening before going to an EA charger, which was an easy experience. I have a Pure with 20s, I imagine yours will fare even better. Havenā€™t tried Dallas yet, but I consider the Houston drive an easy one so far.

Attachments

• IMG_8904.jpeg
    IMG_8904.jpeg
    956.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_8903.jpeg
    IMG_8903.jpeg
    947.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_8917.jpeg
    IMG_8917.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 63
Nice! Mitch Iā€™d love to check out your car if you are close by me - Iā€™m near Stone Oak - any chance you are in this area?

My friend also sent me this video, appears to be going through SA on way to Houston? Maybe one is yours @Leftlane šŸ˜Ž. Looks like thereā€™s a grey or silver one on the back. My friend said there were 7 to 8 on there today.

Attachments

• IMG_8969.png
    IMG_8969.png
    7.5 MB · Views: 36
Back