Enhanced Vehicle Wireless Connectivity

EVhound

Cars
future Grand Touring
I was recently invited to finalize and confirm my AGT reservation (Reservation was made Sept 2, 2021). Upon reviewing the order I noticed the attached "fine print" regarding the need for "enhanced wireless connectivity" for "some infotainment or connectivity features" to be functional. It said that the connectivity was included for the 1st year. I emailed my sales advisor asking two questions: 1) Which features depend on the enhanced wireless connectivity? and 2) What is the cost of the enhanced connectivity after the 1 year? Normally they get back to me in less than one business day. It's now been 3 days and no response. Does anyone have any information on this?

For a $139,000 vehicle, I would have thought that full connectivity would be included throughout the vehicle ownership. For example, my 1st and 2nd Tesla Model S (2013 and 2016) included both premium connectivity and unlimited supercharging for the life of the car. My most recent 2020 Model S does not include it but that's understandable. In my opinion it just seems like Lucid is nickel-and-diming early adopters that are taking a risk with a completely new product and company.
Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 1.56.00 PM.png

Purely a guess, but I would think it is referring to free mobile wireless connectivity in the car for the first year. After that, you need to use your own cellular carrier.

Wouldn't sweat it, agree on early adoption, equally such a small amount. Audi charges $49/mo after the first 6 months, which is outrageous. Tesla reduced to 6m on M3/Y after that $10, only 1yr on MS. Yes they make small money on their connectivity services.
BMW doesn't charge per se but after first 3gb, you need to add to your At&T plan for $10, so all same same
I just look at it the same way than cellular plans and move on.
Look at it this way, drop in the ocean vs $139k;)

Totally agree, I really don't care about the money. It's just the idea that after paying that kind of money for the car, you're hit up again with an unknown charge. The other part is Lucid not providing any details. It's not clear that tethering to your phone is an alternative for the lost functionality (functionally that's not yet defined). They could easily hit us up for $49/mo and you basically have no alternative. I'm just curious if anyone else has gotten official word from Lucid about it. Thanks.

Lucid, short on details, surely not:cool:
When I went for a studio visit in NYC, I was told the connectivity will eventually provide google maps etc and it was included for an initial period if I recall correctly...For now, navigation doesn't seem to have that so we will have to wait and see.
They also told me CarPlay would be on the right cluster ie where navigation is. No more mention of that anywhere although I recall seeing somewhere CarPlay when they introduced the UI.
If it is anything like Tesla, Audi etc, connecting your phone won't help but Lucid might take a different approach
Still waiting for my DE which I have been told is due by end of year, I will believe it when I see it
Early adopters so we are definitely taking a bet

I was recently invited to finalize and confirm my AGT reservation (Reservation was made Sept 2, 2021). Upon reviewing the order I noticed the attached "fine print" regarding the need for "enhanced wireless connectivity" for "some infotainment or connectivity features" to be functional. It said that the connectivity was included for the 1st year. I emailed my sales advisor asking two questions: 1) Which features depend on the enhanced wireless connectivity? and 2) What is the cost of the enhanced connectivity after the 1 year? Normally they get back to me in less than one business day. It's now been 3 days and no response. Does anyone have any information on this?

For a $139,000 vehicle, I would have thought that full connectivity would be included throughout the vehicle ownership. For example, my 1st and 2nd Tesla Model S (2013 and 2016) included both premium connectivity and unlimited supercharging for the life of the car. My most recent 2020 Model S does not include it but that's understandable. In my opinion it just seems like Lucid is nickel-and-diming early adopters that are taking a risk with a completely new product and company.View attachment 294
I’m coming to learn that price and what we think we have a right to expect for that price are two different things. If I forget, my wife reminds me every time we get into her $36,000 Sonata Hybrid Limited. It can be a bit embarrassing.

Well, the nav right now includes traffic. Connectivity features also include the real time charging status for Chargers. Basically anything that needs to use cell service. Can't comment in CarPlay since I'm android, but right now Android Auto is not available.

Well, the nav right now includes traffic. Connectivity features also include the real time charging status for Chargers. Basically anything that needs to use cell service. Can't comment in CarPlay since I'm android, but right now Android Auto is not available.

Wife's Lexus came with 1 year of free things like traffic as mentioned earlier and real time weather/satellite.

Wife's Lexus came with 1 year of free things like traffic as mentioned earlier and real time weather/satellite.
Hate to say it but my wife’s Sonata hybrid came with free unlimited weather/satellite & traffic. As I said previously, embarrassing.

It’s just the point that some of these cheaper cars come with more ‘stuff’ than cars that are far pricier. It makes you wonder why that’s the case.

Because they are from established manufacturers who can cut much better deals with other service providers. If Lucid had 10k cars on the road with $10/mo cell service, one year alone would cost them $1.2 million in service fees. Though, it's a drop in the bucket really. But probably the main reason like many other premium products is that the people who can afford the product can also afford the service. I doubt anyone here or a customer will see the possibility of an extra service charge as a deal breaker for the car.

Also, it's not industry standard to include connectivity for life. If it was they probably would as well.

Of course an extra service charge won’t send anyone here running for the exits. However it doesn’t explain cars from even established manufacturers who could cut those same data deals based on volume, but will still charge customers for trivial things like cell plans. It’s can’t be explained simply by production volume of lack thereof. I’m charged for cell plans with my Audi, yet they produce exponentially more cars than Lucid.

I think some will just bilk customers where they can. Even when you can afford a product, it doesn’t mean you can’t recognize when you’re being ‘nickeled & dimed’. As someone previously mentioned, a company like Porsche has that down to a science.

BMW is not offering free charging like Lucid, which is worth a lot more than a cheap cell subscription service. Yet they’ll give you free data services where Lucid won’t. I don’t think BMW customers will run for the exits either as a result of not getting free charging.

My point is that when you spend this kind of money on a car, I don’t believe it reflects well on a manufacturer to take advantage of a customer just because they can. Despite the fact that I wouldn’t choose or rule out a car based on these factors, it has always left a bad taste in my mouth when a manufacturer plays those games. You’re more tolerant & forgiving than I am. ;)

Let's not overlook the elephant in the room. Some of these connected companies may "give" their services away free to be in a Mercedes or Hyundai due to volume of users. It's not a one way street.

Lucid is too new to get that perk.

Of course an extra service charge won’t send anyone here running for the exits. However it doesn’t explain cars from even established manufacturers who could cut those same data deals based on volume, but will still charge customers for trivial things like cell plans. It’s can’t be explained simply by production volume of lack thereof. I’m charged for cell plans with my Audi, yet they produce exponentially more cars than Lucid.

I think some will just bilk customers where they can. Even when you can afford a product, it doesn’t mean you can’t recognize when you’re being ‘nickeled & dimed’. As someone previously mentioned, a company like Porsche has that down to a science.

BMW is not offering free charging like Lucid, which is worth a lot more than a cheap cell subscription service. Yet they’ll give you free data services where Lucid won’t. I don’t think BMW customers will run for the exits either as a result of not getting free charging.

My point is that when you spend this kind of money on a car, I don’t believe it reflects well on a manufacturer to take advantage of a customer just because they can. Despite the fact that I wouldn’t choose or rule out a car based on these factors, it has always left a bad taste in my mouth when a manufacturer plays those games. You’re more tolerant & forgiving than I am. ;)

But BMW does give you free maintenance for the first 3 years.

I would argue, if we're just talking about cellular data, that the cost to maintain "enhanced connectivity" for Lucid is extremely small or zero. Wireless data has become extraordinarily cheap especially when purchased in bulk. Consider that anyone can walk off the street and add a $10/mo (last time I checked) data plan for their iPad from a carrier. If a company buys 10,000 to 20,000 of those plans, they probably only cost $1 - $3/mon. Making it even cheaper, Lucid already has to maintain a cellular connection to the car for OTA updates, data collection, etc. so, in the end, the incremental cost must be zero or close to nothing.

As other posters have indicated, just because you can charge extra for something doesn't mean you should. We are paying a steep price for a car and I am happy to pay. Lucid promises a "luxury experience" for their product. Don't annoy the customers with surcharges to detract from that experience. An apt analogy would be booking a nice/expensive hotel room for $2,500 a night and then being told that WIFI is $25/night extra. The hotel owner would be very short sighted to do so.

I would argue, if we're just talking about cellular data, that the cost to maintain "enhanced connectivity" for Lucid is extremely small or zero. Wireless data has become extraordinarily cheap especially when purchased in bulk. Consider that anyone can walk off the street and add a $10/mo (last time I checked) data plan for their iPad from a carrier. If a company buys 10,000 to 20,000 of those plans, they probably only cost $1 - $3/mon. Making it even cheaper, Lucid already has to maintain a cellular connection to the car for OTA updates, data collection, etc. so, in the end, the incremental cost must be zero or close to nothing.

As other posters have indicated, just because you can charge extra for something doesn't mean you should. We are paying a steep price for a car and I am happy to pay. Lucid promises a "luxury experience" for their product. Don't annoy the customers with surcharges to detract from that experience. An apt analogy would be booking a nice/expensive hotel room for $2,500 a night and then being told that WIFI is $25/night extra. The hotel owner would be very short sighted to do so.

I take it you've never stayed at the Ritz Carlton.

"Resort fees" has entered the discussion.

I've attached the amenities for the Ritz Carlton room on Central Park. That room is only $1200/night and they include EVERYTHING. They know how to do the luxury experience right!! ;)

Attachments

• room-details.pdf
    584.4 KB · Views: 216
Complimentary high speed Wi-Fi for "Marriott Bonvoy members." I'm Titanium Elite.

I've seen $18.95 at some properties for non members.

Back