Edmunds does another Lucid review..

"Edmunds" just posted its ratings of the 2024 Lucid Air. They're still saying the car is not up to class standards on handling and braking. WTF?

The car won the Goodwood Festival of Speed Hill Climb event -- a handling-focused venue. A wide array of serious auto reviewers, including race drivers such as Ben "The Stig" Collins from "Top Gear", have ranked it in the top tier of sedans in driving dynamics. The only other EV that most reviewers put in the same league as the Air is the Porsche Taycan.

Most reviewers almost hit the point of ridicule when it comes to MB EQS handling. In my own personal experience of owning a Tesla Model S Plaid and a Lucid Air Dream Performance, the Air's handling trounces the Tesla's. Some reviewers have gone as far as dubbing the Plaid almost unsafe in terms of high-speed braking and handling without the $20,000 Track Package upgrade and the optional steering wheel instead of the yoke.

We might never know why, but someone at Edmunds seems determined to do a hatchet job on Lucid. This is why they engage in such nonsense as putting a Lucid with the smallest wheels (19") wearing all-season rubber on a race track against an Acura NSX sports car on wide high-performance summer rubber in order to pronounce the Lucid deficient in handling and braking. They aren't even subtle in the absurdities in which they will engage to generate the pretense of an objective examination of the Lucid.
Do you have a link? I can’t seem to find it online yet.

Do you have a link? I can’t seem to find it online yet.
IMG_3018.png

Even the price is horribly exaggerated.. how ridiculous. It’s literally 70k!

Last edited:
View attachment 20183

Even the price is horribly exaggerated.. such idiots. It’s literally 70k!
Unless I’m missing something…they didn’t actually get to test a car. It looks like they copied and pasted their theories based on the review of their 2022. Which if correct, is absolute BS that they can publish that.

EQS being listed at “ great” by Edmunds is laughable. I spent over a month in the AMG model….. bottom line it’s average at best.
The GT is superior in every driving metric.
I take the review listed as who gives the most advertising dollars Mercedes- Porsche - BMW, rated one through three in their ratings, take it for what it’s worth

Last edited:
Unless I’m missing something…they didn’t actually get to test a car. It looks like they copied and pasted their theories based on the review of their 2022. Which if correct, is absolute BS that they can publish that.
This is correct. They are repeating their conclusions from the earlier cars, and even their opinion of software stayed the same from the UX 1.0 times. They have however driven the Sapphire, yet that article from a week ago seems "strangely" devoid of any references to software.

They don’t even have the starting price right - off by $20k in the headline. That seems pretty basic….

This is correct. They are repeating their conclusions from the earlier cars, and even their opinion of software stayed the same from the UX 1.0 times. They have however driven the Sapphire, yet that article from a week ago seems "strangely" devoid of any references to software.
“They” haven’t driven a Sapphire. A newer writer to them has in a “prior to working for Edmunds” role from what that Sapphire article looks like to me.

“They” haven’t driven a Sapphire. A newer writer to them has in a “prior to working for Edmunds” role from what that Sapphire article looks like to me.
Well, at least in this article, it doesn't look like that to me! By looking at his editing history, he has had many prior articles for edmunds. It is hard to imagine he did that many cars prior to working before Edmunds, if he did after all. I am curious though, what made you think that?

Well, at least in this article, it doesn't look like that to me! By looking at his editing history, he has had many prior articles for edmunds. It is hard to imagine he did that many cars prior to working before Edmunds, if he did after all. I am curious though, what made you think that?
“In my pre-Edmunds life, I got to take a Lucid Air Sapphirearound the notoriously tricky Sonoma Raceway in Northern California. The experience was eye-opening — and not just because stomping the throttle caused the skin on my face to warp around my skull à la Ren & Stimpy blasting off into outer space”

“In my pre-Edmunds life, I got to take a Lucid Air Sapphirearound the notoriously tricky Sonoma Raceway in Northern California. The experience was eye-opening — and not just because stomping the throttle caused the skin on my face to warp around my skull à la Ren & Stimpy blasting off into outer space”

Yes, it does say that. However, he later refers to Route 84:
California Route 84 between Woodside and La Honda isn't quite as hilarious/treacherous as Sonoma Raceway, but man, it's still one of the best roads the Golden State has to offer. And it's another place where the Sapphire can totally rip your face off, if you let it.
At least I read it this way: He previously tested the Sapphire at Sonoma (press day during the deliveries), and he just did a new test on Route 84 (for Edmunds). The rest of the article does not bring up Sonoma. His Linkedin also says he's been with Edmunds since November 2023.

Yes, it does say that. However, he later refers to Route 84:

At least I read it this way: He previously tested the Sapphire at Sonoma (press day during the deliveries), and he just did a new test on Route 84 (for Edmunds). The rest of the article does not bring up Sonoma. His Linkedin also says he's been with Edmunds since November 2023.
Honestly I stand by my feelings on Edmunds no matter what. If he’s driven it once or if it’s twice, doesn’t really matter to me.

this isn’t a review of the 2024, I wouldn’t read too much into this. This is probably just a copy of paste from 2022. I’ve seen a lot of errors on this part of Edmund’s site for many different models.

My guess is the not up to class standard on handling is objectively from the numbers. Skid pad performance and braking performance trails Tesla, Taycan, and bmw. (Especially on 19s). This is the problem from reviewers who aren’t actually car enthusiasts. Numbers only tell one part of the story.

this isn’t a review of the 2024, I wouldn’t read too much into this.

The problem is that "Edmunds" posted it as a review of the 2024 Air, and "Edmunds" is one of the most popular sources of car reviews consulted by car buyers, along with "Consumer Reports". "Edmunds" also has an agreement with "Autoweek" and "Automotive News Now" to carry its stories. And, as a recent thread brought up about an "Autoweek" article that inaccurately claimed Tesla sells 10 times as many Model S's as Lucid does Airs, "Autoweek" is already something of a dodgy source.

Edmunds doesn’t even seem like car enthusiasts to me. Or journalists. Either they have no editor or the editor is asleep at the wheel. They initially said the car had air suspension in one review. I’m still convinced they did their initial GT range test on underinflated tires as they got worse numbers than everyone else, then redid the test later for some undisclosed reason and got better numbers. They’re mega-sloppy.

Edmunds doesn’t even seem like car enthusiasts to me. Or journalists. Either they have no editor or the editor is asleep at the wheel. They initially said the car had air suspension in one review. I’m still convinced they did their initial GT range test on underinflated tires as they got worse numbers than everyone else, then redid the test later for some undisclosed reason and got better numbers. They’re mega-sloppy.
They’re Mega “something’s “ alright! I’ll keep it clean on here though 🤣

Back