EA Throttling Charge Speed

gmglass

Verified Owner
Cars
DE-R Zenith Red, 21"
DE Number
Referral Code
0FS9A9RW
For the first time ever, my local EA station in Raleigh, NC (Pleasant Valley shopping center) throttled my charging speed to 50kwh after about 5 minutes. Never happened before to me and it happened yesterday and today. Has this happened to anyone else?

For the first time ever, my local EA station in Raleigh, NC (Pleasant Valley shopping center) throttled my charging speed to 50kwh after about 5 minutes. Never happened before to me and it happened yesterday and today. Has this happened to anyone else?
To be clear, a message appeared on the screen of the car, “the charging station has reduced your charging speed.”

It happened to me today. I unplugged and reconnected and it went back up but after some minutes it did it again too.

@RichMalden hearing that this happened to you makes me very nervous that EA is throttling us because it’s free via the Lucid deal.
I have noticed it more at my "regular' location. Think I'll try other places that it hasn't been as bad at up to this point

I think it's a local issue and not a nationwide one. I was pulling 196kw earlier today.

I went to two different EA locations in South Florida yesterday. At a 350kw charging station in Fort Lauderdale, I could only draw 60 KW. At a 150kw station in Boca Raton, I could only draw about 55 kw. Any suggestions?

I went to two different EA locations in South Florida yesterday. At a 350kw charging station in Fort Lauderdale, I could only draw 60 KW. At a 150kw station in Boca Raton, I could only draw about 55 kw. Any suggestions?
@rlissak Unfortunately there's nothing to do. It's an EA issue and this is episodic to charging locations and indivdual chargers within a location. Best advice I have for you is to precondition your battery for 30 minutes before charging and then rotate chargers at a location until you get one that delivers the juice.

It’s just that the stations are partially broken. 50kw is better than zero, but it sucks. I can’t see how it’s in EA’s benefit to slow you down, it means fewer charges in the same amount of time for them.

@rlissak Unfortunately there's nothing to do. It's an EA issue and this is episodic to charging locations and indivdual chargers within a location. Best advice I have for you is to precondition your battery for 30 minutes before charging and then rotate chargers at a location until you get one that delivers the juice.
Than you gmglass. I'll try that.

What is your state of charge when you begin charging? The Kws your vehicle draws depends on that percentage. I draw 150Kw from both EA locations in Delray Beach and Boca if I am under 45% when I start charging. Search "charging curves" on this forum, or google it, to see the decline in Kws as the state of charge of the vehicle increases. As my SOC increases, the Kws the car draws, declines to about 56 at 80%

Thank you for your response. I was less than 20% on both attempts.

There's a number of factors around how much power goes to your battery, divided into two categories. Your car and the charging equipment negotiate a charge rate, so it depends on what your car wants, and what the charging equipment can provide. For EA, for example, it depends on the charging station itself and the power available to it, which depends on the physical capabilities and the current environment ... temperature of the wiring and transformers and converters, voltage drops, etc. that is affected by total demand at the site. The charging stall limits its output based on those sorts of factors. The car asks for as much as it can transfer to the batteries based on its own factors, including charging state, battery temperature, and probably sensors that tell it how badly you want to complete that charge. @Bobby was at a charging station the other day, getting a good rate as the only car there, and then another car pulled up and plugged in. Suddenly his charge rate dropped.
Moral of story: how fast you can actually charge in reality is similar to how much range you'll get on your batteries. You may be able to get the best numbers advertised under ideal conditions. But you might not often experience those ideal conditions.

Back