EA noob questions

mraschko

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring; Audi Q7
I finally had the opportunity to try out EA charging (prior to this, I've almost always just charged at home) and I have a few questions for those of you more experienced.

The first charger I tried seemed broken. It said charging unavailable on the screen. Should I assume EA knows or should I have contacted their support somehow?

The next charger had someone already charging on one of the two cables. I plugged the other cable in and all I got was "cable connected". I checked the Lucid app to see if I needed to do anything, but nope. This might have been my fault though. On the way to the charger, I started pre-conditioning but only had 11 minutes until I arrived at the charger. Does charging not start until pre-conditioning is complete? If I had stopped it, would it have started charging? Or would it not charge because the other cable was in-use?

This was all on the 350kw chargers, so I moved to the last open charger (150kw). As I was moving the car, I spotted the cancel pre-conditioning button and pressed it. I plugged in and had to click the Electrify America button in the app to get it to start. Is this a one-time thing or will I have to do it other times?

Overall, it was a good experience. I was in a bit of a hurry so I couldn't spend too much time debugging the issues but got about 100m of range added from the 150kw charger in only 20 minutes or so. I was definitely satisfied with that.

Thx in advance for the advice!

The first charger I tried seemed broken. It said charging unavailable on the screen. Should I assume EA knows or should I have contacted their support somehow?
It never hurts to report a broken charger. It's likely that someone else already reported it, but maybe more complaints will make them fix it faster (HA!).

The next charger had someone already charging on one of the two cables. I plugged the other cable in and all I got was "cable connected". I checked the Lucid app to see if I needed to do anything, but nope. This might have been my fault though. On the way to the charger, I started pre-conditioning but only had 11 minutes until I arrived at the charger. Does charging not start until pre-conditioning is complete? If I had stopped it, would it have started charging? Or would it not charge because the other cable was in-use?
Only one plug works per charger. The older chargers have 2 plugs because the cables are short, so that way it should fit any charger port because of the variability between manufacturers. It'll never work to plug the 2nd plug into a car when the other plug is already in use. You can always tell an EA noob when you see some try (no offense 😜).

Regarding preconditioning, the car will charge no matter how long it has been preconditioning. No need to hit the stop button.

This was all on the 350kw chargers, so I moved to the last open charger (150kw). As I was moving the car, I spotted the cancel pre-conditioning button and pressed it. I plugged in and had to click the Electrify America button in the app to get it to start. Is this a one-time thing or will I have to do it other times?
This issue occurs rarely. It just means the handshake wasn't fully successful, so you have to initiate the charge. Most of the time, the charge will start automatically once you plug into the car.

I assume @Bobby's site has an FAQ about charging, but I haven't looked at it in a while (sorry Bobby).

Thanks and I totally deserve the noob joke. I mean, I owned it the title!

It is a natural mistake due to the design choice made by EA to have two plugs on a singe charger and not providing instructions to new owners.
There actually is/was a mention of the two cable thing on EA's website, but I didn't read it until too late either 😉

Back