Admin
Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Dream P
DE Number
Referral Code
R0YBCKIJ
Let's try and consolidate the EA information here with some tips and complaints instead of making new threads everytime.

If you are getting errors with a connection failure, try this first! Thanks to @yosh1993 for finding this out.

RESOLVED - Got a call from Costa Mesa Service Center and Will had me try something. He had me open the frunk and pull up, then down, then up, then down the "emergency release wire" right above the Charging Port. He said it's very sensitive and if it's not in the exact place it's supposed to be it'll likely throw an error. I did what he asked, closed the frunk, started to charge and BAM! It worked.

If you get a payment screen on the EA station after plugging in, you can have 2 options to try and initiate a charge.

1) After plugging in and payment screen pops up, open the Lucid App. Go to the charging tab and you will see a white EA button. Click the button and choose your station and initiate charging
2) After plugging in and payment screen pops up, go to the pilot panel and click on the charging tab. You will see a white EA button. Click the button and choose your station and initiate charging

Alternate problem and solution

Job: 1 Charging Products Pay Type: Warranty Concern: Per WO-010753 line 1. Vehicle not charging at Electrify America or any third party chargers. Vehicle also not charging on level 2 charger. Please check and advise Cause: Corrosion in electrical plug. Corrections: Found water ingress in electrical plug at charge cable behind fender causing intermittent communication issues while charging on level 2 and DC fast chargers. Removed and replaced entire charge cable assembly and performed wiring repair to body-side of harness to ensure no further problems persist. Tested all charging functions after repairs and found all systems to function normally. No further repairs are required at this time.

Alternate solution from @abbas2099

They had me open up the app. Goto the navigation screen. Pick the lightning bolt. Then click on the EA icon on the map which showed all the chargers were unavailable. With that screen open, I plugged in. Then and only then , the charging tab showed the electrify America tab which I chose and started charging .

Last edited:
Tried these solutions on two EA 350kw chargers. Neither worked. ☹️. I can’t try it on the 150kw ones cuz slow ass Kona EVs are plugged into those charging to 100% 🤦‍♂️

These may solve connection issues? My issue is it will start charging for like 2 seconds then say charging error. Authentication works fine, it’s after it tries to start charging that it fails.

On my polestar 2, ea recommended plugging in the car and starting the session from the app, which seemed to work more whenever I was having initiation issues.

These may solve connection issues? My issue is it will start charging for like 2 seconds then say charging error. Authentication works fine, it’s after it tries to start charging that it fails.
Same here, or after I plug in things chug for several seconds without charging, then the station tells me to unplug.

WOW - a second EA success!

Out for a ride today and decided to try out the last of the EA fast chargers in NH. So far Manchester (Mall of NH) works well (apparently has newer chargers) and the Seabrook (outside Walmart) one is a complete bust/joke and has very old equipment - at least 3+ years old. At the Rockingham Mall in Salem,NH, there were four brand new-looking chargers, and they worked great (ok, 150 kWh and max I drew was 84), but it got me from 59% to 81% in under 20 minutes. I plugged in the connector (very short cables), it recognized my car as a Lucid plan member and asked me to continue, and the charging started immediately with absolutely no other interaction on my part.

I also saw my first Lucid in the Wild today! A Lucid from MA stopped in while I was at the Salem charging station to see if the station was working for me. It did not for them when they tried it earlier. Judging by some comments, there may need to be some tweaking done by Lucid on their registration, but that is only my guess. I suggested they try the charger I was using successfully when I was done, but they opted to head out - so no empirical data to know if it is one side or both causing their issues.

MY FIRST EA CHARGE FAILURE! On 2.0.20 as of this morning.

I must admit I was feeling quite lucky reading about the various EA charge failures as I had charged at nearby EA many times with no issues. This afternoon I tried and failed to charge on two different EA chargers at a station near my house (pretty new ... 8 chargers) where I have had 100% success previously. Of course, this was my lowest battery percentage to date and was also going to be my first 100% charge-up in preparation for a longer road trip! Fortunately I have the luxury of a home charger that I will plug into later this evening. Thanks to all the other owners who have said there is the same or different bug that may prevent charging unless the car is plugged in and awake during the pre-set home charging time period. Fingers crossed Wallbox Pulsar Plus will work tonight.

(BTW, I did try some of the above workarounds. Didn't work. )

Hoping this is a priority for next Lucid update for sure.

WOW - a second EA success!

Out for a ride today and decided to try out the last of the EA fast chargers in NH. So far Manchester (Mall of NH) works well (apparently has newer chargers) and the Seabrook (outside Walmart) one is a complete bust/joke and has very old equipment - at least 3+ years old. At the Rockingham Mall in Salem,NH, there were four brand new-looking chargers, and they worked great (ok, 150 kWh and max I drew was 84), but it got me from 59% to 81% in under 20 minutes. I plugged in the connector (very short cables), it recognized my car as a Lucid plan member and asked me to continue, and the charging started immediately with absolutely no other interaction on my part.

I also saw my first Lucid in the Wild today! A Lucid from MA stopped in while I was at the Salem charging station to see if the station was working for me. It did not for them when they tried it earlier. Judging by some comments, there may need to be some tweaking done by Lucid on their registration, but that is only my guess. I suggested they try the charger I was using successfully when I was done, but they opted to head out - so no empirical data to know if it is one side or both causing their issues.
Your first paragraph reads like my numerous EA charging experiences up until I had my first failure today! Don't start feeling really lucky like me .... it may bring bad karma!

Here is the response I received last evening from Lucid CC when I inquired again about the status of EA charging failures.

Attachments

• B133D75A-798C-4562-A4F3-91D83EEFC5FA.png
    B133D75A-798C-4562-A4F3-91D83EEFC5FA.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 194
Here is the response I received last evening from Lucid CC when I inquired again about the status of EA charging failures.
Good to see that it's being worked on.

Good to see that it's being worked on.
Yeah after my issue at EA today, which an EA tech who was there in person witnessed and confirmed, it’s something with how Lucid/EA talk to eachother AFTER authentication. The handshake is not a problem whether it’s plug & charge or you do it via the Lucid app or EA app. The communication error happens as soon as charging is initiated, where EA says they’re seeing a “vehicle protocol error”. Lucid support told me they’re close to finding the culprit and will release an OTA update addressing it, and they said hearing that it was a “vehicle protocol error” would help them diagnose the problem.

I was unable to charge for free at EA today.

First time I tried, I got the "Authentication Failure" message. Which I've seen about 90% of the time.

Usually I just unplug and replug with the app open and use the magic "Electrify America" button to start charging.

This time, it it didn't give me the EA prompt on the app or in the car.

I called customer care and told them I'm just going to pay for this session and ask to be reimbursed.

Worked perfectly fine once I paid for it with my card.

AMAZINGLY - a third EA success (mostly)...

A road trip to Norwich, VT, from NH today and I stopped at the EA Charger in Lebanon, NH, going home. There was a Kona from Quebec connected to a different charger and the owners were trying to figure out why their charge had stopped with no notice. I connected with no issues on the 150 kWh charger at about 74 kW and added about 200 miles in @25 minutes. Then things took a U-turn, and I had to struggle to get the charging cable to disconnect. CS did some locks/unlocks and was concerned about the error about the charging port being blocked, but it finally released. Someone in a Volvo had connected with no apparent charging problems to the same charging station as the earlier Kona and watched my efforts to disconnect my car with some interest.

Question: The very small tab that people discuss pulling up on (as did the CS rep) - how the heck do you get a grip on it? I have added a pair of needle-nose pliers to my growing "portable automotive first aid kit".

The dark plastic rectangular surround comes right out and is the handle.

AMAZINGLY - a third EA success (mostly)...

A road trip to Norwich, VT, from NH today and I stopped at the EA Charger in Lebanon, NH, going home. There was a Kona from Quebec connected to a different charger and the owners were trying to figure out why their charge had stopped with no notice. I connected with no issues on the 150 kWh charger at about 74 kW and added about 200 miles in @25 minutes. Then things took a U-turn, and I had to struggle to get the charging cable to disconnect. CS did some locks/unlocks and was concerned about the error about the charging port being blocked, but it finally released. Someone in a Volvo had connected with no apparent charging problems to the same charging station as the earlier Kona and watched my efforts to disconnect my car with some interest.

Question: The very small tab that people discuss pulling up on (as did the CS rep) - how the heck do you get a grip on it? I have added a pair of needle-nose pliers to my growing "portable automotive first aid kit".
This happened to me at a Chargepoint charger. You need to pull the plastic tab that’s above the charger (you can’t see it unless you’ve opened the frunk) upwards and it will actually come out like it’s foiling to break, and it’s attached to a thin cable that will manually release the charging port. Then just push it back down into place.

The dark plastic rectangular surround comes right out and is the handle.
So, that IS supposed to detach and the thin "cable" I saw is connected to the release and should be used to pull it? I thought I had broken something and ripped out the plastic surround from the frame, the thin cable was to keep it from falling out, and I hesitated to do anything more. Thanks!

I have never had a charging problem, but then again I rarely charge outside my garage. If I am using Electrify America charging station and I am forced to pay for the charge will Electrify America reimburse me me later? Also, do I need to do anything special to ensure reimbursement?

I have never had a charging problem, but then again I rarely charge outside my garage. If I am using Electrify America charging station and I am forced to pay for the charge will Electrify America reimburse me me later? Also, do I need to do anything special to ensure reimbursement?
I know Lucid will reimburse you. Ideally get a paper receipt or make sure you know exactly which station you charged at and at what time and Lucid Customer Care can figure it out.

Reactions: Ned
I used this charger on Monday and also got 74kW from the 150kW. The 350kW on the right provides 150kW.

It’s a little disappointing how hard it is to get a good charge rate, and annoying that you often have to switch stalls and hope.

Back