EA charger information for those who have charging issues

I also charged well in Palm Desert. A couple production-prototype Fisker Reveros pulled in after I'd plugged in. The dispenser I'm plugged into gave me something over 100kW, but the one the red Revero is on only gave me about 50kW so I switched stalls.

@mcr16 I've obtained only 50kW on an EA stall that an Ioniq 5 was able to pull 200+kW from a few minutes later, and on a long road trip had several instances of only getting about 50kW at other EA locations. I'm wondering if a software/etc issue could be causing the Wunderbox to sometimes switch into voltage-doubling mode, limiting charging power to about 50kW. It might be worth floating the thought past engineering to see if they think it is at all plausible. I'm a career electrical engineer and thought it could explain what I saw.

Lucid and two Reveros.jpg

Well, both 350kW EA Signet chargers in Prescott AZ have issues. Starts to charger, then after 5 seconds shuts down due to “charging station error”. The 150s work. This site came online Feb 2023. Latest equipment.

Attachments

• EB399976-A4A6-4808-A119-C242B56E33E7.jpeg
    EB399976-A4A6-4808-A119-C242B56E33E7.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 61
Happy to report that I had no problem with the Signet 350kw charger on Walden Ave in Buffalo today. I realize that most of you will never see it. But it's there and worked great for anyone passing through on the NYS Thruway. Exit 52E ✅👍

Happy to report that I had no problem with the Signet 350kw charger on Walden Ave in Buffalo today. I realize that most of you will never see it. But it's there and worked great for anyone passing through on the NYS Thruway. Exit 52E ✅👍
How many Kw was it putting into the car?

I can report that the following 2 locations in Las Vegas have Signet chargers:
  1. 7400 Las Vegas Blvd
    1. 6 stations @ 350kW max - "balanced" architecture
    2. I've charged at this station 6 times
    3. Max kW I pulled at station #1 after half dozen visits was 147 kW.
    4. Average 75 kW (twice over 100kW)
  2. 7200 Arroyo Crossing
    1. 4 stations @ 150 kW max chargers - "balanced" architecture
    2. I've charged at this station 2 times
    3. Max kW I pulled at station #1 after half dozen visits was 97 kW.
    4. Average 90 kW
I am hopeful 2.0.56 resolves the "double plug-in" issue that I have to endure each time I use EA.

I've never had an issue where once it starts charging, it then stops with a failure.

One thing to keep in mind when looking at charging curves - they are controlled by the car's software, and may be changed any time by OTA. This is commonly done as the car's manufacturer refines its engineering knowledge.

One thing to keep in mind when looking at charging curves - they are controlled by the car's software, and may be changed any time by OTA. This is commonly done as the car's manufacturer refines its engineering knowledge.
Therefore, there is no point in us complaining that others cars seem to be charging faster at the same station with the same SoC. Lucid is aware of the charging curves if we are aware. They chose the curves which they believe are the best for now. I am fine with the charging curves if we get what we are supposed to get for now. That is all I plan to complain about. The current charge curve of Lucid vs what we are getting.

The curve below explains why ioniq 5 seems to charge faster than Lucid. They decided to keep it high for a long time and then abruptly taper down. Who knows how long the battery will last and how much the range suffers as a result? Also see https://conormclaughlin.net/2023/02/visualizing-electric-vehicle-ev-charging-curves/
tzqkc8wd10g91.jpg
I think the Ioniq's charging curve makes a lot of sense. Most people charge to 80% and the curve shows you're getting a high rate of charge at a 150kW charging station right up to that 80% point. In terms of battery longevity, I can't imagine their approach is going to be so detrimental that they'll be fulfilling numerous early battery degradation claims. I don't think that's what Hyundai would be striving for.

I imagine that all EV's charging curves are the result of a tug-of-war between marketing and engineering.

I imagine that all EV's charging curves are the result of a tug-of-war between marketing and engineering.
Yes. We will see lot of experimenting by all the automakers as they see more real world data and get feedback.

Back