EA charger information for those who have charging issues

When you say "Issues" which of the several issues do you feel Signet chargers help address?
  1. Having to Plug twice every time due to "Authorization Failure"?
  2. Broken / Inoperable equipment?
  3. Poor flow rates ?
Personally, I would really appreciate a solution to #1 because it requires me to have to plug in twice every time AND I must authenticate using my Lucid App, which was an issue the last time.

Thanks
I have issue #1 every time.

When you say "Issues" which of the several issues do you feel Signet chargers help address?
  3. Poor flow rates ?
Personally, I would really appreciate a solution to #1 because it requires me to have to plug in twice every time AND I must authenticate using my Lucid App, which was an issue the last time.

Thanks
Please add 4: charging failure when initiating after successful authentication. This happens to me 100% if the time at my local EA, and it does for 2 other lucid owners in the state. I’ve heard of a site in Connecticut and also one in North Carolina that have a similar problem. This is something Lucid should be able to fix or at least influence a fix with EA because other cars will charge at that site ok. It seems specific to ABB units. I’ve never had a problem using Signet or BTC chargers.

Let me know if you find out, if you don't mind. I'll do the same. Thanks
Of course I will. I'm rather curious now.

Anyone know what type these are at my local EA station?
Those are EA's newest charging stations, single-cable 350kW "balanced". EA is replacing most of their existing stations with these, on a whole-site basis, as the older units fail or become problematic.

Those are EA's newest charging stations, single-cable 350kW "balanced". EA is replacing most of their existing stations with these, on a whole-site basis, as the older units fail or become problematic.
Thanks.

3. Poor flow rates ?

Thanks
One possible solution to #1 is slightly lifting up on the cable/plug during the initiation phase. The top round part of the CCS combo is the communication link to your car. EA has said in the past that the older plugs need this lift because the cable is heavy and the clip to your car may be worn out. Thus resulting in some of the contacts not being made on the first plug in. May work. May not. But, it’s worth a shot to relieve any additional stress of charging at EA.

One possible solution to #1 is slightly lifting up on the cable/plug during the initiation phase. The top round part of the CCS combo is the communication link to your car. EA has said in the past that the older plugs need this lift because the cable is heavy and the clip to your car may be worn out. Thus resulting in some of the contacts not being made on the first plug in. May work. May not. But, it’s worth a shot to relieve any additional stress of charging at EA.
Thanks. I've tried that a few times but no success. I hope others have better luck.

Please add 4: charging failure when initiating after successful authentication. This happens to me 100% if the time at my local EA, and it does for 2 other lucid owners in the state. I’ve heard of a site in Connecticut and also one in North Carolina that have a similar problem. This is something Lucid should be able to fix or at least influence a fix with EA because other cars will charge at that site ok. It seems specific to ABB units. I’ve never had a problem using Signet or BTC chargers.
Apparently, I can't edit my post after 15 minutes or so. Otherwise, I'd be happy to add that #4 of yours.

I'm still interested in understanding which of the several issues the original poster is hinting at, that may be resolved by using Signet devices.

Please add 4: charging failure when initiating after successful authentication. This happens to me 100% if the time at my local EA, and it does for 2 other lucid owners in the state.

It has also happened to me several times at EA chargers in Florida, Georgia, North and South Carolina.

I have issue #1 every time.
I have issue #1 all the time except once. Issue #4 charging failure when initiating after successful authentication. For Issue 4 I had to call EA to initiate charge.

Happy to find 2 of these in Buffalo
20230226_113307.jpg
Happy

On the new single-cable 350s, I noticed that that CCS connector fit was quite tight, in fact occasionally tight enough that the latch didn't latch and I had to try again. Once mated there was no free play. So the tip about holding the connector up would not seem to be applicable to those.

On the new single-cable 350s, I noticed that that CCS connector fit was quite tight, in fact occasionally tight enough that the latch didn't latch and I had to try again. Once mated there was no free play. So the tip about holding the connector up would not seem to be applicable to those.
I've experienced with only one other EV, but I wish the Lucid's charge port were a bit higher so I wouldn't have to bend over. Plus, because of that, I'm never sure if I plug the CCS connector in at perfect 90 degree angle.

I've experienced with only one other EV, but I wish the Lucid's charge port were a bit higher so I wouldn't have to bend over. Plus, because of that, I'm never sure if I plug the CCS connector in at perfect 90 degree angle.
I had the same thought on a recent long road trip. It's a little more challenging to plug in than our other four EVs have been. But a minor inconvenience.

If that's the case, it is a great example of why you shouldn't accept quantity over quality. Nationwide crappy coverage isn't helping us, Lucid, or EA's reputation.

There I go spouting off as if I even have a car to charge yet 😂

I admire your verve!

The EA station in Palm Desert, CA, is Signet. I've easily charged there but had to authenticate it with the Lucid app.

I also use the EA (Target) station in Palm Desert. Two chargers there and 100% success at one of the 150’s so far.

I also use the EA (Target) station in Palm Desert. Two chargers there and 100% success at one of the 150’s so far.
did you have to authenticate with the Lucid app ?

To state the obvious: the fact that there are different manufacturers for the EA chargers does a lot to explain all the different problems and behaviors we have all experienced at EA. Each charger obviously has different a OS and different firmware, so we are probably dealing with at least eight different "configurations" for otherwise "should-be-the-same EA chargers". On top of that, you have 150's vs 350's, older generation chargers from some of the manufacturers, differences in how the stations are provisioned for power, there is probably some Time of Use load shedding going on, load sharing with other vehicles, broken hardware, and outright bugs or corner cases in the charger protocol.

Then there is the issue of how the vehicle "wants" power: SOC at the start of charging, pre-conditioning effects (or lack thereof), outside air temp, Lucid charging firmware, and un-revealed differences between either Lucid models or even within a model, etc. Plus OTA updates that change vehicle behavior over time.

It is going to be very, very difficult for end users to experience predictable behavior in that environment, even if EA manages to "fix" all their broken chargers.

As an early adopter of Teslas, I knew that their investment in their own charging network made a lot of engineering and business sense. Sitting on both ends of the wire, having a uniform(-ish) fleet to charge, all of the vehicles being able to draw 100kW and up (compared to many vehicles with 15kW draw sitting at EA 150s), and not having to respond to bugs from other vehicles: all of these things make the job for Tesla charging infrastructure much, much simpler than that for EA.

Previously, I figured that by now, the power of the market would have created some serious competition. I was wrong.

Back