• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Dual MagSafe phone charging

Any chance you can snap a photo of the correct placement?
Also, sorry for the dumb questions but disclaimer I have an iPhone so I am not so familiar with the Samsung:
1. Does the Samsung natively come with MagSafe support, or it's some sort of conversion via a MagSafe case?
2. At the placement you described, do the magnets stick to each other so the phone doesn't wiggle around?
3. If the answer to (2) was YES, then how is it possible to have any other placement? (for instance, on iPhones there is only one way you can place it for the magnets to work and that's the way it works)

Also just to clarify - the 2 layer design is mostly to accommodate the big camera bump on the recent iPhones + about 1/8" room below it for future generations iPhones, if Apple continues to make this thing bigger 😃
Sure, I can snap a photo, will update this post in a little when I do.

1. No magsafe, but that's that's just to make the connection more secure. Behind it all it's the same wireless charger, so if you have proper placement it will do just fine.
2. Again, no magsafe, so the phone might wiggle. Probably will wiggle with the car vibrations, but I ordered the leather skin so hopefully it will keep it steady.
3. Answer was to #1 and #2 is no!

Good design, works great! I would probably add some guides to place my phone in the future, but I understand that sizes of phones can differ. Maybe in a future revision, a middle line between pucks, at least that's universal?

Sure, I can snap a photo, will update this post in a little when I do.

1. No magsafe, but that's that's just to make the connection more secure. Behind it all it's the same wireless charger, so if you have proper placement it will do just fine.
2. Again, no magsafe, so the phone might wiggle.
3. Answer was to #1 and #2 is no!

Good design, works great! I would probably add some guides to place my phone in the future, but I understand that sizes of phones can differ. Maybe in a future revision, a middle line between pucks, at least that's universal?
Thanks so much for the information! Okay how about something like this (link below)...do you think putting one of these on your phone (it has to be on the right spot though) would help, so that it's always consistently aligned, just like a MagSafe?

Thanks so much for the information! Okay how about something like this (link below)...do you think putting one of these on your phone (it has to be on the right spot though) would help, so that it's always consistently aligned, just like a MagSafe?
Yes, that would essentially give magsafe functionality!
I personally choose not to use it because I have a leather case, and I don't think it works if you put it between the phone and the case. You need to put it on the exterior of the case, so it shows the ring.

Yes, that would essentially give magsafe functionality!
I personally choose not to use it I have a leather case, and I don't think it works if you put it between the phone and the case. You need to put it on the exterior of the case, so it shows the ring.
Noted...so all of that comes to show that I need to make a version that works with Androids, universally. It's a head scratcher but I will do some head scratching, see if I come up with anything.

Noted...so all of that comes to show that I need to make a version that works with Androids, universally. It's a head scratcher but I will do some head scratching, see if I come up with anything.
I really appreciate the thought, and would love if a universal version came to fruition!

A few suggestions towards that idea:
1. An adjustable slider on the bottom to guide the phone. I'm actually going to add a makeshift rubber bottom using something like this, so when I insert my phone, it will stop at the guide.
2. A static guide on the bottom, with adjustable wireless pad. Something like this.
Just food for thought...

And here is the picture of placement for a Samsung S23 Ultra! Note how the top of phone lines up with top of charger. It's very reproducible, using my finger as a stop when I'm putting the phone down.

Attachments

• Lucid Charger with Samsung.jpg
    Lucid Charger with Samsung.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 140
I really appreciate the thought, and would love if a universal version came to fruition!

1. An adjustable slider on the bottom to guide the phone. I'm actually going to add a makeshift rubber bottom using something like this, so when I insert my phone, it will stop at the guide.
2. A static guide on the bottom, with adjustable wireless pad. Something like this.
Just food for thought...

And here is the picture of placement for a Samsung S23 Ultra! Note how the top of phone lines up with top of charger. It's very reproducible, using my finger as a stop when I'm putting the phone down.
Those are some great ideas! Will have to experiment a little to see if I can actually make it happen reliably and without making this more expensive than it already is (since we manufacture everything ourselves, things tend to get expensive with California leases, bills, salaries, benefits etc).

Also two more questions:
1. How is that phone going to stay in place when the car is in motion, if the magnets don't stick?
2. Out of curiosity - any idea what power are you able to draw? Can you get to 15W? iOS restricts non-certified chargers to 7.5W and we're too small yet to walk down the certification path (hopefully one day), but these pucks are rated 15W each and I am curious if it's real or not.

Those are some great ideas! Will have to experiment a little to see if I can actually make it happen reliably and without making this more expensive than it already is (since we manufacture everything ourselves, things tend to get expensive with California leases, bills, salaries, benefits etc).

Also two more questions:
1. How is that phone going to stay in place when the car is in motion, if the magnets don't stick?
2. Out of curiosity - any idea what power are you able to draw? Can you get to 15W? iOS restricts non-certified chargers to 7.5W and we're too small yet to walk down the certification path (hopefully one day), but these pucks are rated 15W each and I am curious if it's real or not.
While I can't speak for others, I do think that this community is in a more fortunate financial situation than many others, and I would gladly pay the difference. In fact, I think your prices are more than reasonable, given that there are 2 (albeit unofficial) magsafe pucks. You could totally save some cost by just adding in holes, and giving the customer the option to add their own puck. That's what our previous solution used to be with the "Bobby charger"

To answer your questions...
1. I'm not sure yet, I'm hoping that the leather skin I bought + the rubber stopper that I will add will create enough friction to keep it relatively stable. I can't answer that until I've driven a while! But that actually gives me another idea for the universal version. Maybe make the chargers a little slanted toward the bottom so gravity will stabilize the phone + add a bottom guide/stopper. This is the charger for a Bolt EUV, which I think is surprisingly well executed.
2. I unfortunately can't test if I can draw 15W simultaneously, but I'm able to get 15 watts individually! My phone says Fast Wireless Charging when it's in use, which equates to 15W. My picture above says Wireless Charging, but that's because I just put it on the pad. It switches to 15W charging after a few seconds.

Yes, not a problem if a box that big exists. But it doesn’t 😀 The big screen protector is very big! I can theoretically fold it a bit and just put it in an Amazon style box but it may get damaged :( so I have custom boxes ordered but because they are humongous the factory that makes them had to order and wait for a new size of cardboard sheets which are used for the rigid structure 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edit: just checked - the boxes I ordered are approximately 34”x14”x0.6”.
I wish I learned about you guys earlier, but I've ordered and received a 3 piece screen protector set from another company recently already.
I would suggest shipping in cylindrical mailing tubes rather than boxes and roll up screen protectors like a poster. It would be cheaper, ships easier, and protects the product better.

I wish I learned about you guys earlier, but I've ordered and received a 3 piece screen protector set from another company recently already.
I would suggest shipping in cylindrical mailing tubes rather than boxes and roll up screen protectors like a poster. It would be cheaper, ships easier, and protects the product better.
Problem is, these protectors are thicker; not really suited for rolling per se. At least, that’s my understanding.

While I can't speak for others, I do think that this community is in a more fortunate financial situation than many others, and I would gladly pay the difference. In fact, I think your prices are more than reasonable, given that there are 2 (albeit unofficial) magsafe pucks. You could totally save some cost by just adding in holes, and giving the customer the option to add their own puck. That's what our previous solution used to be with the "Bobby charger"

To answer your questions...
1. I'm not sure yet, I'm hoping that the leather skin I bought + the rubber stopper that I will add will create enough friction to keep it relatively stable. I can't answer that until I've driven a while! But that actually gives me another idea for the universal version. Maybe make the chargers a little slanted toward the bottom so gravity will stabilize the phone + add a bottom guide/stopper. This is the charger for a Bolt EUV, which I think is surprisingly well executed.
2. I unfortunately can't test if I can draw 15W simultaneously, but I'm able to get 15 watts individually! My phone says Fast Wireless Charging when it's in use, which equates to 15W. My picture above says Wireless Charging, but that's because I just put it on the pad. It switches to 15W charging after a few seconds.
Thanks! Great that it works at 15W...should be able to do with with 2 phones at the same time too (i.e. total of 30W power draw). As for the inclined design - this actually makes sense, will incorporate it in my experiments.

unless they're a sort of tempered glass screen protector, they should be rollable
We use PET (which is essentially plastic, but we use the kind that's suitable for screen protectors), so while it's possible to roll it a little bit you can't roll it too much without causing damage. The ones that are fully rollable are usually either made out of super thin PET (ours is not) or TPU (PPF like material) that's installed wet...so either way, it doesn't really work for ours.

Here is what the box for these looks like, this one is a first prototype that isn't yet printed so no logo, the final version is the same but with logo...just to give you an idea of the size 😃

Got this reply, will test it tomorrow.

I see… this generally works for iPhones only due to firmware limitations but we can try one more thing before giving up (and if it doesn’t work you can just return it for a refund. And by the way it’s on my todo to explore how to make this compatible with wider range of phones).
So the thing I have in mind is this - do you have a usb C to usb A adapter? If yes try plugging it in and using the USB-A port on your lucid. If you don’t have one I can mail you one on Monday or you can try best buy or Amazon. Please let me know. We just released this product and I am still not aware of all the issues that would come up and how to handle them, but the usb A thing was the key to unlocking more phones on the Mach-E, so I hope it may be the same for Lucid. If so I will just start shipping an adapter with each charger.
Appreciate the help here @hydbob ...I'm still trying something to get it to work!!! hehe

Just food for thought...

So I'm trying desperately with or without the case to get our phones to charge. Not working! I have a Z Fold 3 and wife has a Note 20 Ultra

Hey there!
Can you try a USB-C to USB-A adapter and see if that makes it work with the Samsung? If you don't have one please let me know and I will ship you one on Monday or if you want to try it sooner you can probably fine one in BestBuy. Happy to reimburse you for the purchase of the adapter.
Morning Illya - Finally caught up on all the comments here on the Android issue and your email. Thanks again for that. I tried aligning our phones (with and without our case) with the top of the bottom layer of the wireless charging pad and it just does not want to show even a slight chance of charging.
With regards to an adapter, can you post an Amazon link or BestBuy link just to I can see if we have any of these lying around in our drawers at home?
I appreciate the gesture of shipping over the adapter but hoping we don't have to get to that stage. :)

Also two more questions:
Is there a way I can “work around” mine to draw the full 15W or can I somehow swap out the MagSafe pucks for official ones? I’d love the faster speed…

Morning Illya - Finally caught up on all the comments here on the Android issue and your email. Thanks again for that. I tried aligning our phones (with and without our case) with the top of the bottom layer of the wireless charging pad and it just does not want to show even a slight chance of charging.
With regards to an adapter, can you post an Amazon link or BestBuy link just to I can see if we have any of these lying around in our drawers at home?
I appreciate the gesture of shipping over the adapter but hoping we don't have to get to that stage. :)
You can use any of these (or similar):

PS Just for the record - if this doesn't end up working, you can always return for a refund 👍

Is there a way I can “work around” mine to draw the full 15W or can I somehow swap out the MagSafe pucks for official ones? I’d love the faster speed…
P.S. @TWRAPS if you want to grab lunch or a drink/coffee sometime, I’d love to chat through other possible ideas and improvements; I’m a founder (now “funemployed” while I figure out what’s next after my last acq) and happy to help. :) Just DM me.

Not really as it's an iOS limitation. Only certified pucks would do it, with that said last I checked I think the only certified ones are Apple's own, Belkin and Nomad.
As for using Apple pucks - I can make you the plates only so you put your own pucks but there will be a few issues with that:
* You need to use both ports and you'd still need a USB-C to USB-A adapter
* You will need to glue the plates by yourself. We do it with casts which assure perfect fit every time, doing it by hand without a cast may cause misalignment
* You'd need to buy WELD-ON 3 or other acrylic cement. It technically works with superglue too, but in my experiments it's very risk prone for spillovers in the visible surface

P.S. @TWRAPS if you want to grab lunch or a drink/coffee sometime, I’d love to chat through other possible ideas and improvements; I’m a founder (now “funemployed” while I figure out what’s next after my last acq) and happy to help. :) Just DM me.
Absolutely! 5 times software founder myself, 3 exits, 1 miserable fail and 1 is still ongoing (www.wiz.money). TWRAPS started out of my long standing desire to manufacture physical products, started more as a joke than anything and then one thing led to another 😃 Are you in the Bay Area?

Back