Drive System Fault Megathread

I hope to be getting my car back this afternoon from the Houston Service Center... I started experiencing the same amber Drive System Warning when putting the car into gear after the last two OTAs. The warning cleared after 30 seconds and the car drove fine. After Engineering reviewed my data logs, they wanted to bring the car in for further analysis. My Service Advisor told me this morning "The recent software updates have been designed to be a little more sensitive to the battery so the alert picked up on something in there. Your tech had actually asked our engineering team about it because even he couldn’t see the blip when he ran his report. It looks like they’re wanting us to be safe and make sure we get this taken care of right away to prevent anything further." Looks like Lucid is starting to proactively replace the High Voltage Battery Pack to avoid more significant problems...
Well downside is it’s a service visit with you being without the car, upside is hey you get a free new hopefully problem free battery!

I had a “similar” warning, but not the same as yours. After a “Battery Failure - System will shut down in 2 minutes” warning (2 times), I got the following on the screen:
View attachment 9611

I didn’t drive it any more, having safely pulled over into a dirt lot off the highway exit. My HV battery pack is going to be replaced after they looked up the car VIN and battery serial number. Luckily I’m in Arizona and the HV battery pack is only a day or so away.
Today is Wednesday. The battery came in on Monday and they replaced the battery, wunderbox, harness, and charge unit. The battery pack is a newer version than the battery pack I originally got with the car, which necessitated the need to update more hardware. They had pre-drained the battery last week and were able to quickly get things installed.

The car is effectively ready, they are just going to drive to the closest EA station and test the charging on EA today to verify that "free" charging is active. They were charging the car on some kind of Level 3 DC charger at the service center, since it was charging at 80kW. Based on looking at the current charge level of the car and the percent charge it has, I can see that my car will have at least the "new car" 520 miles of range at 100% – this is a good sign that they probably installed the correct pack.

They also performed the tow hook recall and some rear hatch gasket repair. There was also a reload of the 2.0.50 software, maybe as a sanity check.

Today is Wednesday. The battery came in on Monday and they replaced the battery, wunderbox, harness, and charge unit. The battery pack is a newer version than the battery pack I originally got with the car, which necessitated the need to update more hardware. They had pre-drained the battery last week and were able to quickly get things installed.

The car is effectively ready, they are just going to drive to the closest EA station and test the charging on EA today to verify that "free" charging is active. They were charging the car on some kind of Level 3 DC charger at the service center, since it was charging at 80kW. Based on looking at the current charge level of the car and the percent charge it has, I can see that my car will have at least the "new car" 520 miles of range at 100% – this is a good sign that they probably installed the correct pack.

They also performed the tow hook recall and some rear hatch gasket repair. There was also a reload of the 2.0.50 software, maybe as a sanity check.
Glad to hear you're almost back on the road.

[RESOLVED]

I got my Lucid GT back today. All seems to be working great after my 20 mile drive home. I thought I would share the diagnosis and repair information for those who may experience this issue. See below.

Cause: Internal failure of Active Grille Shutter (AGS) actuator.
Corrections: Fault stored in VCU for
[U10AA 0x87 Communication with Active Grille Shutter Missing Message]
Performed tests in accordance with fault tree AGS DiagV2.2 (fault tree with annotations added to line for visibility). Checked power at Fuse 23, power at
connector, voltage drop and continuity/resistance test to ground and performed a visual inspection of the AGS and found the module to not be binding.
Performed scope test of AGS Local Interconnect Network (LIN) circuit and found communication to be adequate. Fault tree indicates replacing the AGS
once pin fit has been confirmed to be OK. Removed and reinstalled front fascia to replace AGS assembly. Performed ADAS calibration of Surround View
Cameras (SVC), LiDAR and Long Range Radar (LRR) in accordance with workshop instructions.

Overall, Lucid SC Costa Mesa did a great job and communicated with me regularly. It seems as if the Drive System Warning could be triggered by a lot of things. The most common I saw on the forum was from the high voltage battery, but this was a new one being the actuator not working for the active grille shutter.

[RESOLVED]

I got my Lucid GT back today. All seems to be working great after my 20 mile drive home. I thought I would share the diagnosis and repair information for those who may experience this issue. See below.

Cause: Internal failure of Active Grille Shutter (AGS) actuator.
Corrections: Fault stored in VCU for
[U10AA 0x87 Communication with Active Grille Shutter Missing Message]
Performed tests in accordance with fault tree AGS DiagV2.2 (fault tree with annotations added to line for visibility). Checked power at Fuse 23, power at
connector, voltage drop and continuity/resistance test to ground and performed a visual inspection of the AGS and found the module to not be binding.
Performed scope test of AGS Local Interconnect Network (LIN) circuit and found communication to be adequate. Fault tree indicates replacing the AGS
once pin fit has been confirmed to be OK. Removed and reinstalled front fascia to replace AGS assembly. Performed ADAS calibration of Surround View
Cameras (SVC), LiDAR and Long Range Radar (LRR) in accordance with workshop instructions.

Overall, Lucid SC Costa Mesa did a great job and communicated with me regularly. It seems as if the Drive System Warning could be triggered by a lot of things. The most common I saw on the forum was from the high voltage battery, but this was a new one being the actuator not working for the active grille shutter.
Glad you got your car back and thank you for posting this. It seems the multitude of possibly causes for the drive fault error is what causes some diagnostic delays.

Took my first real road trip today in my Touring, 140 miles roundtrip from Phoenix to Superior, AZ. Driving down US60, about 30 minutes from my destination, I got the Drive System Warning - contact Customer Care. I was going about 75 at the time, in the dark, while my son and I kind of freaked out discussing what to do. After about 30-45 seconds, the message disappeared from the left side of the cockpit panel, replaced by the small amber warning in the lower right. Then that too went away after another 15-30 seconds.

I completed the trip without any further warnings and have reported the issue to Customer Care via email, with an approximate time range as to when it happened.

I'm not sure I'm cut out for this. The faults and warnings I read about on this forum really give me pause as to whether I made the right decision. If we had been stranded out there in the dark, not making our destination on time (a trail race we were all looking forward to), I know my wife would be telling me to sell it immediately. Fortunately she was asleep in the back at the time and doesn't know about it.

We'll see if Lucid is able to pull anything from the logs. Seems strange it just went away without any reboots/resets. I saw someone posted about getting the warning driving near a radar installation? But even in that case, I think it required a reset to make the warning go away.

Took my first real road trip today in my Touring, 140 miles roundtrip from Phoenix to Superior, AZ. Driving down US60, about 30 minutes from my destination, I got the Drive System Warning - contact Customer Care. I was going about 75 at the time, in the dark, while my son and I kind of freaked out discussing what to do. After about 30-45 seconds, the message disappeared from the left side of the cockpit panel, replaced by the small amber warning in the lower right. Then that too went away after another 15-30 seconds.

I completed the trip without any further warnings and have reported the issue to Customer Care via email, with an approximate time range as to when it happened.

I'm not sure I'm cut out for this. The faults and warnings I read about on this forum really give me pause as to whether I made the right decision. If we had been stranded out there in the dark, not making our destination on time (a trail race we were all looking forward to), I know my wife would be telling me to sell it immediately. Fortunately she was asleep in the back at the time and doesn't know about it.

We'll see if Lucid is able to pull anything from the logs. Seems strange it just went away without any reboots/resets. I saw someone posted about getting the warning driving near a radar installation? But even in that case, I think it required a reset to make the warning go away.
Yeah that was me that got that warning. Also very early on in ownership of the car I got severely reduced power at 30mph too, but then it fixed itself, no service required. I’ll be honest owning this early version of the car does require a bit of forgiveness, but then it’s just such a great thing to drive, that I often forget the car entirely and just fly on a cloud listening to music. There might be these stressors from time to time, I won’t deny it, but unless you get a Lexus or something you’re rolling the dice with any car these days, so why not drive something amazing and not boring (Lexus).

After having drive system fault twice and being stuck I unfortunately had to make the decision to trade my car for this bad boy..

Will I miss the car somewhat, yes! But this is just to early for me, they have a long way to go to be taken seriously IMO. Good luck everyone and maybe will see you in a couple of years. Peace ✌️!!!

Attachments

• DAAF51FD-43D0-49CB-8363-A5C6FCAA1080.jpeg
    DAAF51FD-43D0-49CB-8363-A5C6FCAA1080.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 207
  • 7BA1ED99-CA3A-4BBF-AAAB-9D0E42ED0493.jpeg
    7BA1ED99-CA3A-4BBF-AAAB-9D0E42ED0493.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 198
  • 4E9CDC67-9E78-4F7B-8CFA-A273A996A5BC.jpeg
    4E9CDC67-9E78-4F7B-8CFA-A273A996A5BC.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 196
After having drive system fault twice and being stuck I unfortunately had to make the decision to trade my car for this bad boy..

Will I miss the car somewhat, yes! But this is just to early for me, they have a long way to go to be taken seriously IMO. Good luck everyone and maybe will see you in a couple of years. Peace ✌️!!!
To each their own! Good luck on your motoring adventures!

Yeah sorry those bad experiences were too much for your situation.

I had a similar situation when I started getting the same DS Warning message around 800 miles every time I pull the car in gear. The Mobile Tech came out and uploaded my complete data logs to Engineering. To make a long story short, I was told some of the recent 2.5x OTA updates are "more sensitive" to variabilities in the High Voltage battery pack performance. The Service Center ended up replacing my HV Battery Pack and I haven't had any issues since.

As in your case, my car seemed to run fine other than the persistent amber warning. Could this have been a precursor to a more serious problem such as Turtle Mode? Don't know, but perhaps the latest HV Battery Pack version is improved... The good news is Lucid proactively took care of me..

I had a similar situation when I started getting the same DS Warning message around 800 miles every time I pull the car in gear. The Mobile Tech came out and uploaded my complete data logs to Engineering. To make a long story short, I was told some of the recent 2.5x OTA updates are "more sensitive" to variabilities in the High Voltage battery pack performance. The Service Center ended up replacing my HV Battery Pack and I haven't had any issues since.

As in your case, my car seemed to run fine other than the persistent amber warning. Could this have been a precursor to a more serious problem such as Turtle Mode? Don't know, but perhaps the latest HV Battery Pack version is improved... The good news is Lucid proactively took care of me..
Good to hear about the proactive replacement. Interesting thing about mine is it happened about 30 miles into a 140 roundtrip. Warning was only on for about a minute total. (First part was the large warning on the left of the cockpit panel, then that moved to small amber warning) After that minute, all warnings disappeared and I finished up about another 110 miles without it reappearing. Have driven the past couple of days with no further issues.
I already had a service scheduled for tomorrow for the rear deck creak (Please sweet baby Jesus, let them get that resolved). They're going to scan the logs to look for any codes too. (John was nice enough to call me from the service center late on Saturday to discuss. This was after I sent customer care an email describing the issue and with timestamps)
If it is the battery pack, I'd have hoped since I had a November 2022 build Touring I'd have v2 of that, but perhaps not. I'll report back on their findings.

Nice!

Hi, Isbuffs.

Thank you for sharing. I just dropped you a DM.

Marqie

Quick follow up to this. The Scottsdale Service Center worked with Lucid Engineering to review the logs. It took a couple of days as I believe the initial log review was sent to another group responsible for whatever component may have been flagged in the data. It was determined that the warning was nothing to be concerned with and we'd just keep an eye on it.

Thanks to Marqie for reaching out and to John at the Scottsdale SC for keeping me updated through the process.

Quick follow up to this. The Scottsdale Service Center worked with Lucid Engineering to review the logs. It took a couple of days as I believe the initial log review was sent to another group responsible for whatever component may have been flagged in the data. It was determined that the warning was nothing to be concerned with and we'd just keep an eye on it.

Thanks to Marqie for reaching out and to John at the Scottsdale SC for keeping me updated through the process.
This is similar to what I experienced at 800 miles upon start-up when putting the car in gear. The warning went away after about 30 seconds and car seemed to drive fine. After reviewing the logs (required the Mobile Technician to send to Engineering), they decided to replace my HV Battery pack. I was told the newer software (2.0.5x) was more sensitive to monitoring HV Battery performance resulting in intermittent warnings. Keep an eye on it!

Does anyone have any data on the number of Lucids that have had to go back for Drive System Faults?

I got my Air Touring a few weeks ago. Needless to say, the driving dynamics are amazing. For better or worse, there are very few where I live (Philadelphia local tv viewing radius), so lots of people have stopped to take pictures or to compliment it.

Two weeks in, the car flashed a driving system fault.

1680982160180.png

Thankfully, I was very close to home. Mobile tech came out within about two hours, which was impressive. Problem is a rear drive unit. Tech said someone else had the same problem earlier in the day. Manager called the next morning. Deeply apologetic. Said they'd get me a loaner the following week and that I could rent a car. Partly through random chance, I was able to rent two different Maseratis Quattroprte, which is great, and the Levante, which was sort of fun but somewhat uncomfortable), so it was all sort of fun in its own way.

Loaner arrived (a GT), and before I used it at all, I took the Maserati back. I went about two miles in the loaner and I got another Drive System Fault.

1680982415955.png

This one went away after I left the car and got back in, but the manager advised me not to drive it because it might happen again. Bear in mind, he answered his cell phone at, like, 7 pm on the Friday of Easter/Passover weekend. Again, was deeply apologetic and says he'll get me a new loaner soon. He said it was a horrible coincidence.

I fear that the self-selection of this forum (I only posted because of my issue) is making me think the problem is more endemic than it may be. Is that reasoned or wishful thinking? Would really appreciate some data to test either way. The closest thing I could find were NHTSA complaints, of which there are seemingly few:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2022/LUCID/AIR

Thanks for the moderators for all the effort.

1680982415955.png
1680982160180.png

Fixed typo: "I was able to rent two different Maseratis (a Quattroporte, which is great, and the Levante, which was sort of fun but somewhat uncomfortable)

When he was out to my house for a much more minor issue, I asked our local Philly-area tech about what faults he's seen much of so far, and this wasn't one of them. What an unfortunate coincidence.

~2300 miles on my Touring and no drive system faults. Fingers crossed. Glad to see at least Lucid takes this seriously.

Sorry to hear that! About 2500 miles on my Grand Touring so far, and no issues.

Back