Drive System Failure out of nowhere

zhanovich

Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
Air Pure
Was going for a roadtrip on a loaner to pick up my air from service and 2000 feet away from home before I enter a major street car started to suddenly break showing rear emergency break failure followed by Drive System Fault. Rear right wheel was locked and made it very hard to drive to the side of the road. Had to cancel 4 hour road trip. Customer service representative power cycled the vehicle and it put it in limited speed mode (turtle icon).
Great thing that it didn’t happen on high way. Looking for any explanation from lucid side + trip interruption reimbursement for hotel reservation. I hope this is due to poor maintenance of a loaner (or older model) rather than a wider issue in lucid air. Will keep this post updated.

Attachments

• 1d1822eb-bb24-4b9d-b454-be3422f00bb2.webp
    1d1822eb-bb24-4b9d-b454-be3422f00bb2.webp
    386.5 KB · Views: 69
Sounds like your loaner’s main battery has given up the ghost. This is sort of the reverse of what has already happened to a few us owners.

A few months ago I got a message similar to what you got, in my own car. Fortunately I was only a few hundred feet away from my house. I drove back home and parked my car back in the garage. My car did not move again until a tow truck lifted my car onto its flatbed and drove it to the nearest Lucid service centre. There, and in a matter of eight days or so, my car’s main battery was replaced.

If anyone had an experience with trip interruption reimbursement please share. Planning to go on a week long road trip during summer

Was going for a roadtrip on a loaner to pick up my air from service and 2000 feet away from home before I enter a major street car started to suddenly break showing rear emergency break failure followed by Drive System Fault. Rear right wheel was locked and made it very hard to drive to the side of the road. Had to cancel 4 hour road trip. Customer service representative power cycled the vehicle and it put it in limited speed mode (turtle icon).
Great thing that it didn’t happen on high way. Looking for any explanation from lucid side + trip interruption reimbursement for hotel reservation. I hope this is due to poor maintenance of a loaner (or older model) rather than a wider issue in lucid air. Will keep this post updated.
What maintenance would they have done? Sometimes, the battery simply breaks. It sounds like this happened to you. There is no preventative sequence or predictive model for that in some cases. Other times, the car does evaluate the battery and can warn the driver prior to a battery problem. Even in the absence of symptoms.

As far as trip reimbursement goes, that’s going to be an uphill climb for you. If every time a vehicle broke down, Lucid or not, the company had to give the owner money based on his concurrent plans, there would be a free-for-all in the market. It’s up to you to find alternative transportation and complete your trip. Not trying to be harsh here, just realistic.

As far as trip reimbursement goes, that’s going to be an uphill climb for you. If every time a vehicle broke down, Lucid or not, the company had to give the owner money based on his concurrent plans, there would be a free-for-all in the market. It’s up to you to find alternative transportation and complete your trip. Not trying to be harsh here, just realistic.
But, if you have and used certain credit cards for booking the travel, you may be able to use their trip interruption insurance, depending on the Terms.

What maintenance would they have done? Sometimes, the battery simply breaks. It sounds like this happened to you. There is no preventative sequence or predictive model for that in some cases. Other times, the car does evaluate the battery and can warn the driver prior to a battery problem. Even in the absence of symptoms.

Got it in terms of maintenance and what is the root cause.

In terms of trip interruption, I was going from the side of car breaking down in the middle of the trip and getting reimbursement for the rental + night in the hotel if needed. In comparison BMW Trip Interruption Assistance (https://www.bmwusa.com/explore/bmw-value/roadside-assistance.html) or Mercedes Trip Interruption (https://www.mbusa.com/en/owners/roadside-assistance)

But, if you have and used certain credit cards for booking the travel, you may be able to use their trip interruption insurance, depending on the Terms.
Fortunately car broke down near home, but any of my credit cards exclude any transportation you did not buy a ticket for (Example: taxis, rental cars, personal car, etc.)

Zhanovich
Looks like your battery was at 100%?
Do you charge to 100 often?
What is the manufacture date of your car?
So you have a GT , Touring , or Pure?

Zhanovich
This was a loaner car. It was 2022 GT. I charged it for the first time and I charged it to 100 in preparation for 300 miles road trip.

Zhanovich

It’s not his car, it’s a loaner. He was on his way to pick up his car, in the loaner.

This was a loaner car. It was 2022 GT. I charged it for the first time and I charged it to 100 in preparation for 300 miles road trip.
Drivetrain faults seem to happen more frequently to Dream and early GT cars. So far my 2022 GT has been fine, knocking on wood.

Update: my car was delivered on a flat bed. Loaner hasn’t been picked up. That’s a crazy fast turn around for car delivery taking in account it was 300 miles away and was delivered same day!

Back