Drive 200+ miles to Chicago for pickup or have car delivered?

codys21

Verified Owner
How helpful is picking up the vehicle in person? I know a Lucid rep would help with setting up the car and walk through the various settings and all of that, but is it worth it when it would consume a whole day, if not more? My wife and I would have to drive 4 hours (each way) or fly there so that would be extra cost as well. We also want to get PPF on the car right away so if we had it delivered, we'd have it arrive at a shop in town. If we picked it up in Chicago, we'd probably find a place there to have the PPF done the same day.

So, overall, just thoughts on having the car delivered vs picking up in person.

How helpful is picking up the vehicle in person? I know a Lucid rep would help with setting up the car and walk through the various settings and all of that, but is it worth it when it would consume a whole day, if not more? My wife and I would have to drive 4 hours (each way) or fly there so that would be extra cost as well. We also want to get PPF on the car right away so if we had it delivered, we'd have it arrive at a shop in town. If we picked it up in Chicago, we'd probably find a place there to have the PPF done the same day.

I’m 90 miles from Chicago and have done both ways (2 different cars). The first time I took a Lyft down and there and then drove it back. It was probably only 30 minutes to go through the whole process at Goose Island.

Most recently I elected for home drop off. I will say the home drop off was really nice. Enclosed transport. They offered to do a phone call to walk through the car setup, which I elected to skip.
If I were you I’d choose home delivery and take advantage of a phone call or 2 with the delivery team to make sure you are comfortable with everything.

I’m 90 miles from Chicago and have done both ways (2 different cars). The first time I took a Lyft down and there and then drove it back. It was probably only 30 minutes to go through the whole process at Goose Island.

Most recently I elected for home drop off. I will say the home drop off was really nice. Enclosed transport. They offered to do a phone call to walk through the car setup, which I elected to skip.
If I were you I’d choose home delivery and take advantage of a phone call or 2 with the delivery team to make sure you are comfortable with everything.
Thanks, that's helpful. I'm sure we'll do a couple of phone calls then. The enclosed transport is especially nice. Wouldn't make a ton of sense to send directly to a PPF place if it was on an open semi for hours.

Not sure how they do it now, but when my GT was delivered last November, they offered to fly my wife and I to Scottsdale from Tucson to pick it up. I opted for the trailer delivery which was excellent. Could not see flying such a short distance.

Not sure how they do it now, but when my GT was delivered last November, they offered to fly my wife and I to Scottsdale from Tucson to pick it up. I opted for the trailer delivery which was excellent. Could not see flying such a short distance.
Wow that is a short flight. Having us flown out to Chicago would help but it still would be a day-long thing. And we're "only" getting a Pure so I wonder if that would be an option for us vs when you two got a GT.

Good to hear the trailer delivery was excellent, though.

They also offered me to fly to Houston from Austin last Nov. I opted to take delivery at our PPF shop rather than drive it back. The enclosed trailer delivery was great, and the Lucid rep that was there for delivery was awesome and helped get everything set up.

Wouldn't you guys want to inspect the vehicle before taking delivery? Do you still do the inspection at home or at the PPF shop?

@codys21 and @Tay Chi - Please be advised of the following....

If you have the car shipped to you, as I did, I had to take delivery from the transport service *at my house*. Please confirm with Lucid whether delivery to an address other than what's on the Bill of Sale might present an issue.

Details: I don't live somewhere where a semi sized transport could offload my car. So, I picked a suitable spot 1/4 mile away. Everything went fine until I had to sign with the transport company that I received delivery of the vehicle. Because the GPS position of the semi was not at my home, the transport company's system wouldn't allow me to e-sign delivery. I believe this is a security precaution of the transport company used in my case. To resolve, I had the driver join me in my car and we drove to my house to perform the delivery e-signature.

So, please confirm with Lucid in the case your shipping address (e.g. wherever you are getting PPF) is different from your bill of sale address (your home) whether that presents an issue or not to the transport company.

To your more general question - I would have the car shipped instead of taking a 4 hour trip to pick it up. They can perform remote delivery services over video conferencing on your phone which will get you sufficiently familiar with the car. Then, just use this site for everything else.

Wouldn't you guys want to inspect the vehicle before taking delivery? Do you still do the inspection at home or at the PPF shop?
That's a good point. I know Lucid does a pre-delivery inspection as well. Hypothetically, if we were to find something wrong and it's already at my house, how would Lucid handle it?

@codys21 and @Tay Chi - Please be advised of the following....

If you have the car shipped to you, as I did, I had to take delivery from the transport service *at my house*. Please confirm with Lucid whether delivery to an address other than what's on the Bill of Sale might present an issue.

Details: I don't live somewhere where a semi sized transport could offload my car. So, I picked a suitable spot 1/4 mile away. Everything went fine until I had to sign with the transport company that I received delivery of the vehicle. Because the GPS position of the semi was not at my home, the transport company's system wouldn't allow me to e-sign delivery. I believe this is a security precaution of the transport company used in my case. To resolve, I had the driver join me in my car and we drove to my house to perform the delivery e-signature.

So, please confirm with Lucid in the case your shipping address (e.g. wherever you are getting PPF) is different from your bill of sale address (your home) whether that presents an issue or not to the transport company.

To your more general question - I would have the car shipped instead of taking a 4 hour trip to pick it up. They can perform remote delivery services over video conferencing on your phone which will get you sufficiently familiar with the car. Then, just use this site for everything else.
Thank you so much for bringing that up. We will definitely ask Lucid about the delivery point then. And thanks for your input about getting it shipped instead of taking the trip to Chicago.

That's a good point. I know Lucid does a pre-delivery inspection as well. Hypothetically, if we were to find something wrong and it's already at my house, how would Lucid handle it?
I am assuming you can still refuse delivery (Hopefully it doesn't happen to anyone) . But I would definitely check.

I am assuming you can still refuse delivery (Hopefully it doesn't happen to anyone) . But I would definitely check.
You can refuse delivery. But for most minor issues, they usually work with you to make a punch list that can be banged out at a later date. Usually by mobile service or by taking it to a service center.

Back