Debut of the Midnight Dream Edition

I'm not one to complain on internet forums (I guess other than the fact that I'm on my 8th tire...) but as one of the original Dream Edition pre-order folks, am I wrong to be a bit ticked that there are more Dream Editions in production?

In all markets, whether car, art, baseball cards, books, coins, or otherwise, there is a premium paid for "limited editions"- the reason being right there in the verbiage. They are limited, and, therefore, have an intangible value greater than an asset that is not limited in number. "X" (that is my Econ 101 supply and demand emoji).
And I am ego-aware enough to fully admit there is a certain cachet in owning a limited edition of something.

So, going back to my question- when an asset is sold with the understanding that it is a limited edition, and that the limited editions are capped at 520, and a purchase is made at a certain value taking into account that the asset being purchased is limited to only 520, am I wrong to be torqued off that there are suddenly an unknown number MORE "limited" editions suddenly appearing on the market?

I will caveat to say that it obviously does not diminish the pure joy I feel when driving my Lucid, limited edition or otherwise, and I do not regret, and I would not change anything going back. I love my Lucid.

I DO think there is a chilling effect for future purchasers.

And I DO think that it's a bit of a slap in the face of those of us who put out a large amount of cash on a gamble of a product with the (supposed) understanding that those of us that did would own one of only 520 Lucid Dream Editions.

And I WOULD be mollified if Lucid came and applied the Midnight Package to my current Midnight Black Dream Edition as a show of apology and support to the original 520... 😇

I think how much of an issue this becomes depends on whether this car has the powertrain of the original Dream Edition. Nothing I’ve found so far indicates this is anything more than a cosmetic redo of the Grand Touring, which woi’ll mean almost 300 less peak horsepower than an original Dream.

If that’s the case, a black Grand Touring with Mojave Interior and the Stealth Package will little differ from this Midnight Dream Edition, except for the Dream wheels with black satin inserts — something that could be had through the aftermarket.

I'm not one to complain on internet forums (I guess other than the fact that I'm on my 8th tire...) but as one of the original Dream Edition pre-order folks, am I wrong to be a bit ticked that there are more Dream Editions in production?

In all markets, whether car, art, baseball cards, books, coins, or otherwise, there is a premium paid for "limited editions"- the reason being right there in the verbiage. They are limited, and, therefore, have an intangible value greater than an asset that is not limited in number. "X" (that is my Econ 101 supply and demand emoji).
And I am ego-aware enough to fully admit there is a certain cachet in owning a limited edition of something.

So, going back to my question- when an asset is sold with the understanding that it is a limited edition, and that the limited editions are capped at 520, and a purchase is made at a certain value taking into account that the asset being purchased is limited to only 520, am I wrong to be torqued off that there are suddenly an unknown number MORE "limited" editions suddenly appearing on the market?

I will caveat to say that it obviously does not diminish the pure joy I feel when driving my Lucid, limited edition or otherwise, and I do not regret, and I would not change anything going back. I love my Lucid.

And I DO think that it's a bit of a slap in the face of those of us who put out a large amount of cash on a gamble of a product with the (supposed) understanding that those of us that did would own one of only 520 Lucid Dream Editions.

And I WOULD be mollified if Lucid came and applied the Midnight Package to my current Midnight Black Dream Edition as a show of apology and support to the original 520... 😇
I personally am not that bothered by it because it's on an entirely different continent. But I understand completely where you are coming from?

I personally am not that bothered by it because it's on an entirely different continent. But I understand completely where you are coming from?

I did not buy a Dream Edition on the premise that it would have particularly high collectible value. I bought it because I wanted the extra power it offered and as well as an earlier delivery date.

Electric cars are evolving so rapidly that I think few of the cars of this generation will become of high value to collectors, except for the truly extreme versions, such as a Sapphire or a Rimac.

The Dream Edition broke new ground in the existing EV space with efficiency, range, and space engineering, but the things that put cars in museums are not really present with the Air Dream: the first examples of a whole new technology, a whole new vehicle category, a whole new style idiom, or a storied race heritage. Lucid evolved within and grew an existing envelope; it did not create a new one.

It looks to be a non-US car and presumably can't be titled and registered in the US (though I welcome corrections on this point). This car doesn't increase the pool of DEs available in the US market.

I can see both sides of this. It's an issue with offering a "limited edition" of anything. There will always be those whose primary motivation was to be the owner of one of a very limited set of items. Increasing that pool decreases the value in their eyes.

Would it help if Lucid had called this something other than a "Dream Edition"? It's not like they were never going to make another exclusive version of any car ever again. So it's really just semantics.

You have one of 520 US Dream Editions. There will never be more of those.

Does anyone know if this Midnight Blue is a substitute for the Eureka Gold in other markets? Will gold be forever gone from the Air's palette? Or is this blue in addition to the gold as an option?

I can see both sides of this. It's an issue with offering a "limited edition" of anything. There will always be those whose primary motivation was to be the owner of one of a very limited set of items. Increasing that pool decreases the value in their eyes.

Would it help if Lucid had called this something other than a "Dream Edition"? It's not like they were never going to make another exclusive version of any car ever again. So it's really just semantics.

Does anyone know if this Midnight Blue is a substitute for the Eureka Gold in other markets? Will gold be forever gone from the Air's palette? Or is this blue in addition to the gold as an option?
I'm not sure but I have seen several pictures on Twitter of Eureka Gold's in Europe specifically photos taken in the Kingdom.

They were pretty clear that it was a limited edition for the US, but they announced very shortly a plan to do 520 in MEA and 520 in Europe; I don't feel too slighted by that. Basically nobody is gonna be shipping any cars across oceans, so I feel fairly safe my limited edition is still a limited edition in my market. :)

The car is called the “Midnight” edition, and marketing materials talk about its dark exterior and interior palette and how it evokes the desert at night and the Milky Way and other such gobbledygook. So I suspect that this is a one-color offering.

In fact, since not a word is said anywhere about its power, I think the whole shtick here is about the unique color, wheels, and other cosmetic flourishes. As this appears to me to be only a cosmetically tricked out Grand Touring car, I really don’t think it cannibalizes the value of U.S. Dream Editions with almost 300 more horsepower in any way.

The car is called the “Midnight” edition, and marketing materials talk about its dark exterior and interior palette and how it evokes the desert at night and the Milky Way and other such gobbledygook. So I suspect that this is a one-color offering.

In fact, since not a word is said anywhere about its power, I think the whole shtick here is about the unique color, wheels, and other cosmetic flourishes. As this appears to me to be only a cosmetically tricked out Grand Touring car, I really don’t think it cannibalizes the value of U.S. Dream Editions with almost 300 more horsepower in any way.
That would be an interesting thing to confirm. If they aren't using the different chemistry battery pack and metallurgy motors, then it really is, as you say, basically a GT-P with a different badge.

That would be an interesting thing to confirm. If they aren't using the different chemistry battery pack and metallurgy motors, then it really is, as you say, basically a GT-P with a different badge.

I’m wondering if it’s even a GT-P, as they could tout an additional 200+ hp for this special edition. European drivers aren’t as horsepower obsessed as American drivers. (I don’t know if it’s still the case, but some European countries used to levy addiitonal taxes and fees on high-power cars. And they drew acrimony from other drivers. That’s why owners often removed the badging from their cars.). I don’t know if Lucid thinks that means there’s no need for the higher power in this special edition or whether it’s there but they just don’t see a marketing imperative for mentioning it.

I just found an article that said some of the original 520 Dream Editions were delivered to Europe beginning in December 2022 and that the Midnight Dream Edition is the original Dream Edition but with a different Europe-only color theme:

I just found an article that said some of the original 520 Dream Editions were delivered to Europe beginning in December 2022 and that the Midnight Dream Edition is the original Dream Edition but with a different Europe-only color theme:

So it sounds like this is a second Europe-only run of Dream Editions, exclusively in this color combo, and that will cost more than the original Dream Editions. I actually think I'm fine with that. I don't think we'll ever see one of these in the US.

So it sounds like this is a second Europe-only run of Dream Editions, exclusively in this color combo, and that will cost more than the original Dream Editions. I actually think I'm fine with that. I don't think we'll ever see one of these in the US.

So it appears. Given that Europe and the U.S. now have divergent lighting standards, I don’t think European-spec cars manufactured after a certain date can be imported into the U.S. any longer.

I read all the other comments, and I generally agree with everyone here- it's not a HUGE deal. I did not buy my DE as a collectible. I don't collect anything, let alone expensive cars! (I wish!)
But again, any part of a "limited edition" is the cachet involved with it being LIMITED. And as @borski mentions, here, this is literally a second run of what was supposed to be limited. Only in Europe? OK. So?

I listen to a great podcast called "Business Wars" and just finished Louis Vuitton vs. Gucci, right after Marriott vs. Hilton. They both discuss, in detail, the intrinsic value of the cachet of limited editions. And not just the economic value. It's part of the FEEL of the object. It's intangible. Harkening back to my original post and some of the examples I gave, one was off-topically presented to me by my financially inept 14 year old son the other day. He loves shoes, and showed me the Nike Air 2 Eminem. Looking into it, 313 pairs were released (as a limited edition) in 2008 for $110, and my son told me he saw a pair for sale for over $13,000.00. Ouch.
When limited editions are run on other assets, there have literally been lawsuits filed when companies run another series.

I'll end my second tirade by circling back to my original plea and statement- I bought and drive the dang thing because it's awesome. It's not sitting in a glass garage on the 150th floor of my penthouse lair next to my nanobot flying armor.
But I am very disappointed that Lucid chose to do this. Someone remarked above about whether calling it something different would make a difference. The answer is "YES."

And for those of you who question why this is an issue, in response I will ask you why did Lucid bother engraving the edition number of each and every Dream Edition model on the doorstep of the vehicle? They know it holds cachet. And it's particularly grating because we are the ones who took the greatest risk on the unknown.

Again, very disappointing, but it won't change the ultimate joy I feel everytime I get in the car and fly down the highway surrounded by luxury, comfort, aesthetics, confidence, and 50-year-old-guy-with-two-kids-badassery.

But offering to retrofit my vehicle with either the Midnight aesthetics offered in the "A Little Less Limited Than You Thought" Edition in Europe, or the Stealth option offered here, would go a long way to assuage my disappointment with Lucid...

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Rawlinson?

Last edited:
I read all the other comments, and I generally agree with everyone here- it's not a HUGE deal. I did not buy my DE as a collectible. I don't collect anything, let alone expensive cars! (I wish!)
But again, any part of a "limited edition" is the cachet involved with it being LIMITED. And as @borski mentions, here, this is literally a second run of what was supposed to be limited. Only in Europe? OK. So?

I listen to a great podcast called "Business Wars" and just finished Louis Vuitton vs. Gucci, right after Marriott vs. Hilton. They both discuss, in detail, the intrinsic value of the cachet of limited editions. And not just the economic value. It's part of the FEEL of the object. It's intangible. Harkening back to my original post and some of the examples I gave, one was off-topically presented to me by my financially inept 14 year old son the other day. He loves shoes, and showed me the Nike Air 2 Eminem. Looking into it, 313 pairs were released (as a limited edition) in 2008 for $110, and my son told me he saw a pair for sale for over $13,000.00. Ouch.
When limited editions are run on other assets, there have literally been lawsuits filed when companies run another series.

I'll end my second tirade by circling back to my original plea and statement- I bought and drive the dang thing because it's awesome. It's not sitting in a glass garage on the 150th floor of my penthouse lair next to my nanobot flying armor.
But I am very disappointed that Lucid chose to do this. Someone remarked above about whether calling it something different would make a difference. The answer is "YES."

And for those of you who question why this is an issue, in response I will ask you why did Lucid bother engraving the edition number of each and every Dream Edition model on the doorstep of the vehicle? They know it holds cachet. And it's particularly grating because we are the ones who took the greatest risk on the unknown.

Again, very disappointing, but it won't change the ultimate joy I feel everytime I get in the car and fly down the highway surrounded by luxury, comfort, aesthetics, confidence, and 50-year-old-guy-with-two-kids-badassery.

But offering to retrofit my vehicle with either the Midnight aesthetics offered in the "A Little Less Limited Than You Thought" Edition in Europe, or the Stealth option offered here, would go a long way to assuage my disappointment with Lucid...

An example of this is the durango hellcat. Original 2021 run owners are suing now, as the 2022 model got unveiled as it wasnt supposed to.

Ugh, double-tap...

Here is Lucid's problem: https://www.lucidmotors.com/stories/dream-edition-production-run-final-details

"Final Details"
"To celebrate our record-breaking, EPA official 520-mile range achievement — we’re increasing total production of the fully-reserved Dream Edition to 520 vehicles. This means we’ll be able to custom build and deliver the world’s most advanced luxury EV to a limited number of customers on the Dream Edition waitlist." (emphasis added)

Ugh, double-tap...

Here is Lucid's problem: https://www.lucidmotors.com/stories/dream-edition-production-run-final-details

"Final Details"
"To celebrate our record-breaking, EPA official 520-mile range achievement — we’re increasing total production of the fully-reserved Dream Edition to 520 vehicles. This means we’ll be able to custom build and deliver the world’s most advanced luxury EV to a limited number of customers on the Dream Edition waitlist." (emphasis added)

Note that it said “increasing,” which literally nullifies your point.

Note that it said “increasing,” which literally nullifies your point.
Not trying to get into an argument about it, but that was the point of my posting the FIRST quote.

"Final Details"

Which was also was the TITLE OF THE PRESS RELEASE FROM LUCID linked:

Announcing final details of the limited production Lucid Air Dream Edition. (emphasis added for dramatic flair and further ado about nothing)

Also, this was when the option still existed to pull out, as it was still just a list. But after "final details" are announced, with a number of 520 as a cap on the number of "limited" editions, then production ensues, numbers 521-X,000 reservations remaining at the time get shifted to GT or other, it seems rather set in stone.
But now that stone turned into wet clay.

So, I suggest it literally supports the point of my post.

And still leaves open the question of why Lucid made such a hue and cry over the "520" limited number, to the point of laser-engraving it into my car.

Not trying to get into an argument about it, but that was the point of my posting the FIRST quote.

"Final Details"

Which was also was the TITLE OF THE PRESS RELEASE FROM LUCID linked:

Announcing final details of the limited production Lucid Air Dream Edition. (emphasis added for dramatic flair and further ado about nothing)

Also, this was when the option still existed to pull out, as it was still just a list. But after "final details" are announced, with a number of 520 as a cap on the number of "limited" editions, then production ensues, numbers 521-X,000 reservations remaining at the time get shifted to GT or other, it seems rather set in stone.
But now that stone turned into wet clay.

So, I suggest it literally supports the point of my post.

And still leaves open the question of why Lucid made such a hue and cry over the "520" limited number, to the point of laser-engraving it into my car.
Now I understand. However, isn't it 520 for every region, and not 520 for the entire world?

Now I understand. However, isn't it 520 for every region, and not 520 for the entire world?
I appreciate your response. It's nice on this cesspool we call the interwebs to have a genuine and mature disagreement that is respectful! So thank you!

As for the question you posed above, in order to be fully honest, my answer is "I don't know."

That said, I can tell you what my UNDERSTANDING was at the time I added my name to the list and put down my deposit, all the way through making full payment and receiving the car, and even up until this announcement about the Midnight.

I never saw, heard, or read anything indicating that the 520 "limited" Dream Editions were somehow limited to a geographic area, continent, country, or otherwise. By "saw, heard, or read" I mean everything from the prospectus of the SPAC that purchased what became Lucid (that's actually how I heard of the car; I was an early investor in CCIV or whatever it was called, the SPAC that brought Lucid public), to press releases, to statements by the company, to articles where the company, company execs, or others were interviewed, marketing materials, investor calls, quarterly earnings calls, and maybe I am missing something.

But throughout all of that, I never saw, heard, or read anything indicating that the "limitation" only applied to the US or otherwise.

So, @Lucid how about that proposal I keep making about Midnight-ing or Stealth-ing my Dream Edition in order for me to actually regain the intrinsic value of my car being limited as originally promised? 😇 🤷‍♂️

Back