Ford patent regarding advertising in cars

Attachments

• 1726169678483.webp
    1726169678483.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
The most idiotic line in the article:

"There’s a recognition that an occupant’s 'natural inclination to seek minimal or no ads' should be balanced with 'maximum opportunity for ad-based monetization.'”

Really? Why the f*** should our cars provide anyone with "maximum opportunity for ad-based monetization"?

First our landlines and then our cell phones and email accounts became billboards forced into our homes and onto us by spammers with the government standing on the sideline and doing virtually nothing to stop it -- or rather actually cheering it on.

Next up: our cars.

Sadly, ads in everything has been normalized in society. With streaming services for example, many people won't spend a latte's worth of dollars per month to not be assaulted by these things. I predict that younger drivers won't even see this as all that weird.

Sadly, ads in everything has been normalized in society. With streaming services for example, many people won't spend a latte's worth of dollars per month to not be assaulted by these things. I predict that younger drivers won't even see this as all that weird.

You're probably right. So many of them already text and even post intimate photos of themselves on the internet. Why would having some data farmer monitor their conversations in a car for sale to an unknown third party bother them?

You're probably right. So many of them already text and even post intimate photos of themselves on the internet. Why would having some data farmer monitor their conversations in a car for sale to an unknown third party bother them?
It hasn't for decades. Facebook has been around for 20+ years and it wasn't the first.

If FSD and driverless cars are the automotive future, then all those screens will be filled with something. And that something is going to be things that make someone money. All I can say is that it definitely won't be in my garage!

If FSD and driverless cars are the automotive future, then all those screens will be filled with something. And that something is going to be things that make someone money. All I can say is that it definitely won't be in my garage!
This. I would not be surprised if a huge component of most car company FSD strategies is showing us ads while we get carted around. Just like modern cabs. And to save $10, a lot of folks would put up with it.

Number 2040 on the list of things I'll never understand about my fellow citizens.

I hope Lucid won't go down this road. Would be a big selling point for me for whatever car eventually replaces my Air.

Since EVs are like smartphone on wheels, it's not surprising that companies might explore monetizing these large screens through ads.

No, it doesn’t have to be. We do this to ourselves by buying products that do this to us. If Ford starts doing this, I can safely say I’m not buying a Ford ever again until they stop. If Lucid starts doing this, the same holds true. I do not care *at all* how great the car is.

And if everyone starts doing it, I will blackhole the crap out of every ad network in my car and post publicly how to do it, or build a tool that does it for you, and I will make that car company’s ads do nothing but cost them money while they try to show me an ad for deodorant.

And then I will never buy a car from that company again until they stop. I’ll ride a goddamn bike if I have to.

People shared and posted intimate photos in our generation and your generation too. The difference is my parents didn’t have the internet. But “sexy photos” were always a thing, even on crappy cell phones.

Hell, people used to take sexy Polaroids and share them.

Humans will be human. How we share things has changed, but what we share? I’d argue that’s changed less than you think.

Since EVs are like smartphone on wheels, it's not surprising that companies might explore monetizing these large screens through ads.

It's not surprising that companies would want to. What's surprising to me is how readily the public has rolled over for it . . . which, in turn, has made it so easy for the government to get by with ineffective responses such as "do not call" lists that have no enforcement teeth.

A few years ago our landline became so deluged with spam calls that I began keeping a log and found we were getting between 20-30 spam calls a day. Interestingly, the times were predominantly daytime hours. I thought that odd until I realized those are the hours where a higher percentage of homes are occupied by older retirees who are easier prey for phone scams.

I wanted to cancel the landline but could not because our home elevator requires an emergency phone line that cannot be a cellphone line. So I turned the ringer off on all the phones and deactivated voicemail so that I did not have to hear constant telephone ringing all day and could use the line only for outgoing calls. At the time, I was getting almost no spam calls on my cell line. However, that changed before long and, even using robocall blocking, I now get several spam calls a day on my cell line.

It is hard to live modern life without a phone for safety and other reasons. To have advertisers be allowed for their own purposes to hijack phone service for which I pay is infuriating, as is the passivity with which most people shrug it off.

One of the most insidious elements of this Ford patent is this:

"The patent, basically, says that it will use a few different algorithms to bypass occupants’ preference for zero ads by playing ads at certain times, attempting to minimize disruption by understanding the context."

In other words, even if the car occupants take steps to block ads, Ford is suggesting methods to force its way through that resistance and force as many ads on the car's occupants as they can. To me, this is little short of assault.

I think it's great. If Ford patents this and other companies can't do it without paying Ford, it may save the rest of us.

I'd like to think that. But there would be so much advertising money flowing that automakers would almost certainly pony up whatever licensing fees were required.

If consumers don't turn on any brand that attempts this, it will be game over for keeping our cars from becoming audio/visual billboards.

It is hard to live modern life without a phone for safety and other reasons.
I just don't pick up the phone from unknown and unrecognized by integrated Caller ID numbers. In very rare cases of legitimate calls they leave a voice mail. Spammers never leave voice mails - it doesn't make sense for them as they need to have dialog with the victim to be successful.

Back