DC Fast Charging adventure from So Cal to East Texas

Thanks for sharing your cross country drive and EA charging experience.
My pleasure to share to educate people not to be afraid of EV on road trips.

My pleasure to share to educate people not to be afraid of EV on road trips.
Lol. I welcome you to take my Nissan Leaf from SoCal to TX! The ABRP chokes on that rout saying there are parts of the drive with “issues”.

Fort Stockton, TX -> Ozona, TX

(EA app doesn’t work on this station stalls, nor any RFID reader work on taking Apple wallet card, so I use traditional credit card swipe, I have experienced this handshake failed issue with Lucid Air before, good thing I have this knowledge because getting stranded in small town Texas is just not funny.)

Charging Session: #12
Charging Network: Electrify America
Energy delivered: +72.51+19.19 = 91.70 kWh
Charging time: 29+16= 45 min
Cost: $9.95 + $5.68 = $15.63
Cumulative Cost: $130.12

Notice how much cheaper is $0.32/min to $0.42/kW, it’s about 65% cheaper on 350 kW. I don’t understand EA charging rate inconsistency. Maybe different state have different rate regulation. TEXAS IS WAY CHEAPER PRICE!!!
View attachment 9134View attachment 9135

Funny how some of Texas hills look like human curves.View attachment 9131View attachment 9133
Not-so-Grand Tetons ?? 😉

Congrats! That's a tight space in-between the Lucid and Rivian ... Probably time to rearrange some items so you can get a bigger gap between them. One of the tricks I use Is to pull both of my EVs in at a slight angle. They are closer in the rear, but give more space between driver's door on my Lucid and opposing passenger's door on my Model S. I have the Model S parked on the left and Lucid on the right in my situation.

Knight in shiny armor finally got home with white steed. My wife was joyous looking at her new ride. Total trip charging cost $140.33. If this is a gas SUV, probably roughly a $700 trip. BIG THANKS to bad EA software gave me charging discount! Have I got stuck somewhere because of bad EA? NEVER!!! A Better Route Planner is an awesome companion app over every EV’s negation system.

This Rivian R1S was something my wife always wanted to replace our Honda Odyssey. We considered Model-X in the past, but it didn’t fit our need as 3rd row space was really non usable. We are one more step closer to fully electrified.

View attachment 9153View attachment 9157View attachment 9155

My neighbors all have Tesla, so we are the unique residents. We got the cars people hardly find on the streets. If Tesla’s CyberTruck is not a vaporware, then our household will be complete.
View attachment 9156

Never thought I have to use this extension cord to charge this car. Our Wallbox 20’ cable wouldn’t able to reach it. Happy camper now when overprepared.View attachment 9154
One thought for you. I was always told not to wind the wires closely together. Unless that is an urban myth, you might want to spread the coil out a bit.

Lol. I welcome you to take my Nissan Leaf from SoCal to TX! The ABRP chokes on that rout saying there are parts of the drive with “issues”.
If Chevy Bolt can do it, Leaf can do it! 😂 might take couple weeks tho. 🤔

Congrats! That's a tight space in-between the Lucid and Rivian ... Probably time to rearrange some items so you can get a bigger gap between them. One of the tricks I use Is to pull both of my EVs in at a slight angle. They are closer in the rear, but give more space between driver's door on my Lucid and opposing passenger's door on my Model S. I have the Model S parked on the left and Lucid on the right in my situation.
Very tight space. Wife’s solution was advising me dropping that love handle. 😔

Barstow, CA -> Las Vegas, NV

Charging Session: #2
Charging Network: Electrify America
Energy delivered: +58.31 kW
Charging time: 18 min
Cost: FREE
(waived $24.94 thinking this car is Polestar 2 from my EA Apple Wallet card)View attachment 9062View attachment 9063

Note: This station has latest generation of EA stalls. I was enjoying 205kW juice on 350kW stall until this Tesla Model Y came next to me to charge to share charge load, I immediate saw charge rate dropped to 50 kW. It was then I decided to bail out of station
You went from 205kW down to 50kW, which is close to 75% drop. Is it because the Tesla Y's battery simply drew this much current ? Just trying to understand electrical basis for this phenomenon.

You went from 205kW down to 50kW, which is close to 75% drop. Is it because the Tesla Y's battery simply drew this much current ? Just trying to understand electrical basis for this phenomenon.
Yes, maybe Tesla could only draw 50kW with their converter, I don’t know. But it went down fast when it got shared.

That is an interesting question abut how EA load shares with cars that have different voltages (900 and 400). I may email EA and and see what they say, not that they are likely to answer.

That is an interesting question abut how EA load shares with cars that have different voltages (900 and 400). I may email EA and and see what they say, not that they are likely to answer.
I was driving a Rivian R1S from California to Nevada. I believe that car is 400 voltage.

Yes and that is why I was thinking it might be caused by different battery voltages but it seems to me a more generic problem.
I say it's time for an experiment if @Tesla2.0 and @Sam6062 are up for it.
Let's see how EA does load-sharing between the 2 GTs and 1 GT plus Rivian and Polestar.

I say it's time for an experiment if @Tesla2.0 and @Sam6062 are up for it.
Let's see how EA does load-sharing between the 2 GTs and 1 GT plus Rivian and Polestar.
I never met @Sam6062 and I believe we are 300 miles apart in Texas. I might try to experiment on next road trip, but in the city I wouldn’t bother. And my son reported to me that Polestar 2 bricked out on him at EA station halfway charging. I wasn’t sure if that was EA problem or Polestar 2 problem. But one thing for sure Lucid has convenient plug and play at EA, other brands do not. They have to thru mobile apps authentication which is not always consistent. I see more EA stalls down more frequently in Texas than other states, it could be Texas is longer distance to cover than others by its EA maintenance team, but 3 out 4 stalls always show working was my experience this trip.

I never met @Sam6062 and I believe we are 300 miles apart in Texas. I might try to experiment on next road trip, but in the city I wouldn’t bother. And my son reported to me that Polestar 2 bricked out on him at EA station halfway charging. I wasn’t sure if that was EA problem or Polestar 2 problem. But one thing for sure Lucid has convenient plug and play at EA, other brands do not. They have to thru mobile apps authentication which is not always consistent. I see more EA stalls down more frequently in Texas than other states, it could be Texas is longer distance to cover than others by its EA maintenance team, but 3 out 4 stalls always show working was my experience this trip.
Somehow, I though Sam was in Houston.
As of now, MB is also plug and charge with EA when things work.
You may be right on the effects of the vast geography of Tx.

In the interests of science, could you please repeat that trip in your Lucid and let us know how it differs? ;)

I have a question: How is the 2nd row space compared to the lucid? Also, why didnt you decide to wait on the gravity?

Back