Current Owners - Daily Driver?

To those who currently have an Air and are using it as a daily driver:

I've never owned a six figure car before and the idea of driving it 15k+ miles a year just scares me. Wear and tear, paint chips, windshield damage, insurance costs. All that stuff can happen to any car you drive that much, but I could care less it happening to my Subaru Legacy than this marvel of engineering. It's a piece of ART. I feel like I'd just be nervous and anxious all the time driving the damn thing!

Anyone else dealing with similar emotions? Please tell me I'm being a baby and just suck it up! :)
I had my car wrapped- feel much better about driving it now.

It will be my daily driver, unless my husband grabs it first. And just for reference, I'm currently driving a Honda Clarity. It was 1/4 the price of the Lucid and is the most expensive car I've ever owned. So this will be quite the upgrade. I am thinking of getting a ceramic coating on it to preserve the paint because I plan on driving this for the next decade. I will be a little more careful where I park it. But I agree some others, as beautiful as it is to look at, it's a car. And if you can't use it as a car, then it's kind of pointless to own. That being said, I won't be stupid with it. I still have a old Elantra if I have to park at an airport for a week or go to a shady part of town.

Daily driver mostly because it’s comfortable fun and unique. This means probably 20k miles per year so not great for depreciation. I’ll switch to driving mostly the wife’s Range Rover Velar January through March because that has designated rims and snows ( and ground clearance). I have heard from other posters here that the Lucid does well with snow.

This is my daily driver as well. I've come to accept the fact that its gonna get dinged, its gonna get rock chips, and other damage. But its too darn fun and comfortable to drive to just have it sit in a garage just looking pretty. Doesn't matter if its an exotic or a kia, you can't prevent things from happening to it but you can try to protect it as best you can. PPF can reduce the daily obstacles its going to encounter but its not foolproof. You can park farther in the parking lot from entrances, but someone will invariably always park right next to you. Just enjoy it. Its meant to be driven.

I've never owned a six figure car before and the idea of driving it 15k+ miles a year just scares me. Wear and tear, paint chips, windshield damage, insurance costs. All that stuff can happen to any car you drive that much, but I could care less it happening to my Subaru Legacy than this marvel of engineering. It's a piece of ART. I feel like I'd just be nervous and anxious all the time driving the damn thing!

Anyone else dealing with similar emotions? Please tell me I'm being a baby and just suck it up! :)
I'm in a similar boat, worrying about paint chips, wear and tear. My Touring (finalized design last week for a 1Q2023 delivery) will be my first new car in nine years (although my wife has a Tesla Model Y). I am planning to have the PPF and ceramic coating done immediately. I think the cost will be in the $8,000 ballpark, but it will give me piece of mind. That said, I'm always careful about where I park my cars, so much so that my nine-year-old BMW 535i does not have a mark on it, and I expect to continue that practice with my Lucid. Glad you posted, because you're reminding me to just suck it up as well, and get on with the joy of anticipating the arrival of this car. So, yeah. Get over your anxiety, and dream on. As my adult daughter told me when I was hedging on whether to buy the car, "Your car is nine years old. You only live once. Just buy the damn thing."

My AGT is my daily driver, but had full PPF and ceramic done for peace of mind. Things will happen as a daily driver, you just have to accept that. Otherwise, you could always be like my neighbor that has a several classic/rare cars, all of which really only get out for car shows. It's honestly pure joy driving this machine and can't imagine not driving it at every opportunity, whether for a trip to the grocery store or cross country. Several friends of mine that have ridden with me have already started looking at ordering...

You've made the decision that it's your daily driver so go with it and have a blast. I picked my car up from the detailer who did an awesome job applying ceramic coating as well as PPF for entire front of car. 4 miles down the road a truck pulling a trailer with concrete equipment merged in front of me and promptly hit a bump that sent a meteor shower of dried concrete bits all over the car. 3 chips on the front of the car that tore through the PPF and 3 more on the hood. One of those got all the way to the bare metal. Also put 3 small chips in the windshield. Was driving down the road Sunday night hit a pothole ( not an unusually gnarly one when I went back and looked at it) which promptly blew out the sidewall. Called a buddy of mine that runs a towing biz and he came and got me and brought the car back home. $450 for a new tire and another $40 to get it mounted.
I can predict with 110% accuracy that the car is going to get dinged and scratched and everything else that happens to a daily driver. Mine is replacing a 2004 Lexus LS430 with 280K miles on it. Sh!t happens...I've hit 2 deer and another car that made a left turn in front of me and it actually now has a salvage title (thanks to the last deer collision) It's still bullet proof and will probably keep it for "hoopty service"...never thought I'd say that out loud.

This is my daily driver as well. I've come to accept the fact that its gonna get dinged, its gonna get rock chips, and other damage. But its too darn fun and comfortable to drive to just have it sit in a garage just looking pretty. Doesn't matter if its an exotic or a kia, you can't prevent things from happening to it but you can try to protect it as best you can. PPF can reduce the daily obstacles its going to encounter but its not foolproof. You can park farther in the parking lot from entrances, but someone will invariably always park right next to you. Just enjoy it. Its meant to be driven.
Juno 🐻‍❄️ (AGT Quantum Grey) got her first door ding but very minor and will simply live with it. My PPF shop told Polar 🐼 that using dentless removal the technician would need to remove door panel to access area. At least $400 plus and then getting door rewrapped extra. So gonna wait until “more” dings before reconsidering. At least the paint was protected and barely visible. Ya can’t bubble wrap It so simply ENJOY ! You nailed it Mr Bobofat !

I got ppf and ceramic done on my car. In less than a year, I've had both my bumpers repaired and repainted from someone rear ending me and putting a hole in my back bumper. Then someone backed into me and put a hole in my front bumper. So all is well, and I didn't bother to get ppf/ceramic reapplied after my repairs.

As soon as I got my car I had it wrapped in full XPEL PPF for every exterior surface. I’ve had a lot of bad experiences with Tesla windshields, so on my Lucid, I got the entire front windshield covered with STEK for extra protection, and so far the windshield is holding up great. STEK doesn’t make a windshield film big enough for the Lucid so we had to apply two pieces and there is a small seam but that doesn’t bother me too much.

1. I've put over 12k on my car at this point and drive it daily, along multiple with long distance (>1k mi) road trips. It is by far the best and I cannot imagine driving anything else.
  2. To address a lot of my anxiety around damage, I did a full PPF and I'm very glad I did so. I still worry a bit about windshield cracks, so I simply don't follow other cars that closely.
  3. The interior has held up stunningly well to the usage. My wife and daughter love being in it and always pick it over our Palisade. There's been zero damage an wear is imperceptible.
  4. Once you're used to driving it, nothing else will do
Just get a wrap, put the worry away, and enjoy the ride.

Daily driver here as well...except for when I need to drive a local back road that is notoriously filled with potholes, or when it's raining. Luckily I do have more than one option to drive, but if I didn't it would be the daily driver for me with no exceptions. Am I nervous still in parking lots, that's an absolutely yes, but I just park far away from anyone else and hope for the best and get some extra steps for my "trouble". As for worrying about driving a six figure car, that used to be a much bigger deal than it is now, you can get a fully loaded truck or suburban and pay over six figures. The fun in driving the car more than makes up for any of the worries, and the more you drive it, the better it gets! Good luck and enjoy the car :)

I have over 3000 miles on my AGT in less than two months. I look forward to an excuse to drive it. I had my detailer apply Opticoat a few days after delivery because it makes it easier to clean and resists etching but PPF has been more trouble than it is worth in my experience. It is a joy to drive. Sure the SW glitches can be annoying and sometimes inconvenient, but driving is just plain fun. Cannot beat the power delivery and suspension. The driver's position for me is perfect and at least as good as any Porsches that I have owned. Will it get dinged in parking lots? Probably, but those can usually be repaired easily. Just wish that I could get Pirelli Sottozeros for this winter, as the AS tires are marginal when it gets very cold and icy even when they are relatively new.

I use my Lucid as a daily driver and on long road trips…I got the front wrapped and bought an extra set of 19 inch wheels and tires for winter…I think the car is so much fun and comfortable to drive that I don’t worry about the potential scratch or possible chip.

I have other Porsche ICE vehicles that I can drive I find my Dream always my first choice.

In over 50 years of car ownership in almost every weather and terrain region of the U.S., I've never had to have a windshield replaced. I see no reason to worry any more about it with the Lucid than with any other car.

Get it wrapped in a protective film, will minimize chips in paint due to rocks as well as keep the paint shiny and make it easy to clean. Windshield chips will happen, that is life.

Enjoy the car.
Paint protection and ceramacize the car is the best you can do

I have Geico, pay 83.71 a month and have a 250 dollar deductible for my windshield.
It’s incredibly cheap.
The low cost likely relates to my location and the fact that I don’t drive very many miles.
I'm at $150 a month, but I'm a youngin, insurance rates just suck if you're younger. And I have a perfectly clean driving record.

Still am shopping to see if I can get it lower.

Exactly as others have said.
Most owners of the Air have other expensive cars and they are now used to driving them around and not crying over chips or other normal wear that can happen from driving it.

I felt the same way, and after talking to the original owner who owns a Plaid S, Model X and Mercedes EQS, he told me that you get used to it.

And then I asked him if he felt the same about his very first nice car he ever owned and he told me he was scared to even take it out of the garage.

I did PPF on whole front and sides to help with the occasional ding, or even people in parking lots who park too close.

But you can't do anything and you'll never drive it if you are too scared to even take it out of the garage.

Suck it up! Rock chips and other wear is just part of ownership.

I'm at $150 a month, but I'm a youngin, insurance rates just suck if you're younger. And I have a perfectly clean driving record.

Still am shopping to see if I can get it lower.

Exactly as others have said.
Most owners of the Air have other expensive cars and they are now used to driving them around and not crying over chips or other normal wear that can happen from driving it.

I felt the same way, and after talking to the original owner who owns a Plaid S, Model X and Mercedes EQS, he told me that you get used to it.

And then I asked him if he felt the same about his very first nice car he ever owned and he told me he was scared to even take it out of the garage.

I did PPF on whole front and sides to help with the occasional ding, or even people in parking lots who park too close.

But you can't do anything and you'll never drive it if you are too scared to even take it out of the garage.

Suck it up! Rock chips and other wear is just part of ownership.
Be glad that you are not in SoCAL where they pay $330 per month. In NorCAL for retired folks like me with a quote of $150 per month is considered a bargain.

You're being a baby. Just suck it up. I have a Porsche, also an absolute marvel of a vehicle. It is my daily, weekend, and every time driver. I am careful where I park the vehicle, otherwise I just enjoy driving. If something happens...that's why they have insurance.

I'm in a similar boat, worrying about paint chips, wear and tear. My Touring (finalized design last week for a 1Q2023 delivery) will be my first new car in nine years (although my wife has a Tesla Model Y). I am planning to have the PPF and ceramic coating done immediately. I think the cost will be in the $8,000 ballpark, but it will give me piece of mind. That said, I'm always careful about where I park my cars, so much so that my nine-year-old BMW 535i does not have a mark on it, and I expect to continue that practice with my Lucid. Glad you posted, because you're reminding me to just suck it up as well, and get on with the joy of anticipating the arrival of this car. So, yeah. Get over your anxiety, and dream on. As my adult daughter told me when I was hedging on whether to buy the car, "Your car is nine years old. You only live once. Just buy the damn thing."
Funny....my son and daughter said the same thing. I did schedule the PPF & Ceramic coating along with paint correction first. My DA said that Lucid will reimburse for paint flaws found but not sure about that yet.

Back