Cruise Control Issue

roKapl99

Verified Owner
Cars
Touring
I like the Adaptive Cruise Control feature and use it frequently. But I have run into one situation where it is not working as expected and could end up creating a serious accident. I was driving on US 41 in Naples Fl which has a speed limit of 50 in the section I was on. Also traffic lights at major intersections. I am going along at 55 no cars in front of me. About a half mile ahead of me is a traffic light with a car stopped waiting for it to turn green. ACC does not slow down as I approach the stopped car. I had to slam on the breaks to avoid plowing into the stopped car. This occurs whenever I am in ACC mode with no cars in front of me and I approach a stopped car at a traffic light. Yes, I know I need to pay attention and be prepared for unexpected situations but this is a repeatable issue which should be addressed with a software update.

If cars are in front of me doing the same speed and they slow down to stop at a light ACC works fine, slows down and comes to a complete stop and goes into hold mode without my touching the brake. By trial and error I figured out the best way to reengage ACC after it has stopped by itself and entered hold mode is by lightly stepping on the accelerator. That gets the car out of hold mode and back into ACC mode with the override message displayed on the console. Taking my foot off the accelerator gives control back to ACC and it resumes accelerating to the previously set speed.

This is working as intended, the ACC does NOT work with stopped vehicles.

We have to wait for traffic jam assist for that.

This is working as intended, the ACC does NOT work with stopped vehicles.
Correct, unlike almost every other car with ACC that can handle stopped traffic!

If I'm following a car at speed and the car in front slams on their brakes will ACC stop?
It’s only cars that are stopped at a distance that ACC and HA does not respond to. Basically, anything that is beyond its front sensors. (As of right now, most here do not believe LiDAR is yet being factored into the software. Through we cannot confirm this. )

It’s spelled out pretty clearly in the manual.

Cruise control and highway assist might work as Lucid intends it presently with stopped traffic, but both definitely do not work to the driver's expectations. That makes Lucid's implementation of cruise control dangerous.

The camera and/or front sensors can certainly detect a stopped vehicle as the vehicle comes into range. Why doesn't the vehicle's software slow and stop the car as it detects the stopped vehicle?

Lucid designed a few vehicle behaviors that are both really head-scratching and different from different from just every other vehicle on the road.

One example is highway assist. Why is highway assist geofenced? If the vehicle can see the highway lines, it should keep the car between the lines. No need for geofencing. Many other vehicles on the road can do this. It's a head scratcher that you get lane departure warnings on many roads, but highway assist only works in geofenced areas.

I certainly hope that Lucid takes another look at the best practices in vehicle driving dynamics from other manufacturers and redesigns how their own vehicles operate in a few important ways.

Cruise control and highway assist might work as Lucid intends it presently with stopped traffic, but both definitely do not work to the driver's expectations. That makes Lucid's implementation of cruise control dangerous.

The camera and/or front sensors can certainly detect a stopped vehicle as the vehicle comes into range. Why doesn't the vehicle's software slow and stop the car as it detects the stopped vehicle?

Lucid designed a few vehicle behaviors that are both really head-scratching and different from different from just every other vehicle on the road.

One example is highway assist. Why is highway assist geofenced? If the vehicle can see the highway lines, it should keep the car between the lines. No need for geofencing. Many other vehicles on the road can do this. It's a head scratcher that you get lane departure warnings on many roads, but highway assist only works in geofenced areas.

I certainly hope that Lucid takes another look at the best practices in vehicle driving dynamics from other manufacturers and redesigns how their own vehicles operate in a few important ways.
Isn't Bluecruise Geofenced too?

Agree! Well said. I hope Lucid addresses these dangerous issues in the near future.

Agree! Well said. I hope Lucid addresses these dangerous issues in the near future.
Maybe my cars are too basic, but my Honda Odyssey does not detect stopped cars and slow me down without my intervention or late braking, so the Lucid's ACC worked the same. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe my cars are too basic, but my Honda Odyssey does not detect stopped cars and slow me down without my intervention or late braking, so the Lucid's ACC worked the same. 🤷‍♂️
Ford, GM and Mercedes all slow down and stop with stopped traffic in front.

I'm glad someone posted this. I, also, would have assumed that the car would stop for a car that was completely stopped in front of it.

I'm glad someone posted this. I, also, would have assumed that the car would stop for a car that was completely stopped in front of it.
I would hope at least the Automatic Emergency Braking would kick in.

Lexus driving characteristics are both well-designed and rock solid.

Lexus vehicles do lane centering just about everywhere that lanes are clearly visible without any geo-fencing. Lane departure gives an audible warning and a vibration on the steering wheel, but it does not try to steer itself back in the lanes.

Lexus vehicles slow and stop as expected for stopped traffic with cruise control invoked.

The visual display of the current driving environment is excellent, including showing traffic encroaching from the side.

Lucid would do well to duplicate what Lexus does in terms of driving dynamics.

I’m really trying to find a non-rude way to say this. But before operating a 5,000+ lb death machine, it behooves one to read the instruction manual carefully. This limitation of ACC and HA is spelled out plain as day there.

I agree, we all look forward to Traffic Jam Assist, which will indeed be able to detect stopped traffic ahead. And I also agree that a few other car manufacturers have already implemented this feature. But I wouldn’t get into someone’s BMW or Ford and expect it to steer me through city traffic like a Tesla can. I’d read up on what that specific car could do and set my expectations accordingly.

Back