Considering Paint protection film (PPF)

Why are you wrapping if you are just going to sell? But in all seriousness, my hood was done with a single piece and edges wrapped so you can't see any seams. You can ask @Dortreo he saw my car up close in person!
It may depend on the type of film being used. That is the only thing I can think about. If some sheets re not wide enough then the only way they can use the film is add a joint. Which film did you get, the XPEL. DESPITE my concerns I still hbe not made up my mind about keeping or selling. Also I am not seeing much demand out there but time will tell. Maybe other than software issues mine will be perfect lol.

Thanks for sharing, I will look it up.
They may have re-done the templates, but when I had mine done in April, the hood came in three pieces, so my guy didn't use the template especially given where the seams fell. Given that, he did the hood wrap without a template and in one piece. It's definitely a question people should ask. My understanding was that no matter how good your place is, the seam placement would be very difficult to hide the seams.

They may have re-done the templates, but when I had mine done in April, the hood came in three pieces, so my guy didn't use the template especially given where the seams fell. Given that, he did the hood wrap without a template and in one piece. It's definitely a question people should ask. My understanding was that no matter how good your place is, the seam placement would be very difficult to hide the seams.
Thanks, Decisions Decisions. This guy said two piece so a big piece in front and a smaller one at the back. I like the idea of this film because it comes with Ceramic on it.

Mine was wrapped in Legends Prime Matte-PPF full coverage for $7500. There’s no seams on the hood at all, it was all down with one piece and mine was the first Air they did, he said he wouldn’t have done it if it needed a seam. I then added Gtechniq Halo on top of the PPF myself and am having the windows tinted next week.

Mine was wrapped in Legends Prime Matte-PPF full coverage for $7500. There’s no seams on the hood at all, it was all down with one piece and mine was the first Air they did, he said he wouldn’t have done it if it needed a seam. I then added Gtechniq Halo on top of the PPF myself and am having the windows tinted next week.
Thanks for that info maybe this STEK film is not large enough. He has not gotten back with me on it. Also 7500 is beyond my budget for now.

Upstate NY (Saratoga County) here but I was quoted at $5500 for full XPel PPF.

Thanks for that info maybe this STEK film is not large enough. He has not gotten back with me on it. Also 7500 is beyond my budget for now.
You don't want to go to a detailer who uses precut templates. The better detailers use large sheets that more than cover the entire section and then they custom cut it so they can roll all the edges, thus no seams anywhere.

T
You don't want to go to a detailer who uses precut templates. The better detailers use large sheets that more than cover the entire section and then they custom cut it so they can roll all the edges, thus no seams anywhere.
The templates are fine because the installer can specify to have the cuts expanded to be able to wrap edges. It just saves them a little knife work.

Actually, a number of detailers can use the precut templates, then go into the CAD type drawing software and adjust the edges out an inch or two before they send the now adjusted template to the plotter. That way, after the plotter cuts the piece, it overlaps the ends a bit and they can be tucked into the car's seams and trimmed so you never see an edge.

My guy says he will use this template. I saw this same one posted here above as well. Hmmm not sure what to do now.

Attachments

• 8599139C-1020-4885-BBA1-AA6F85910ECE.jpeg
    8599139C-1020-4885-BBA1-AA6F85910ECE.jpeg
    749.7 KB · Views: 111
Has anyone done the wind shield protection film, the delivery guy suggested it. Replacement windshield is 1500 plus 500 labor to replace. I was quoted 450 for this
https://www.stek-usa.com/windshield-film only 1 year warranty.

This is what I said on the previous page in this thread:
If this will be a daily driver, don't get the Dynoshield. As you said, wipers will scratch it, so it's really only meant to go on a weekend cruiser that won't see much wiper action.

This is what I said on the previous page in this thread:
Thanks, rains quite a bit in Texas but we are mostly weekend drivers. Both work from home maybe drive 2 to 4 K miles a year tops but I hear you. 450$ for a 1 year warranty only is not great but of it also gets scratched then it will most likely affect Visibility.

I’d never apply it, a good size rock will crack it anyways. Not worth $450 and a 1 year warranty. That coupled with any grit from wipers and it’s useless.

My guy says he will use this template. I saw this same one posted here above as well. Hmmm not sure what to do now.
I think that was the "3 piece" template that my guy avoided using. If you look at where the thing is split on either side, I think it runs right over the two air intake spots on the hood. His feeling was that given those contours, it would be very difficult hiding the seams. So he just did one piece over the whole thing.

I think that was the "3 piece" template that my guy avoided using. If you look at where the thing is split on either side, I think it runs right over the two air intake spots on the hood. His feeling was that given those contours, it would be very difficult hiding the seams. So he just did one piece over the whole thing.
Thanks for that detail. Maybe I have to find another Installer.

Back