Compatible 110 Charging Cable

PyynkBOB

Cars
Air GT, Zenith Red, 19"
If I attempt to charge my Lucid, using my Lucid charging cable, on the 110 outlet in my garage, I get a charging failure after two minutes of charging. If I attempt to charge my Jaguar I-Pace, using my Jaguar charging cable, on the very same 110 outlet in my garage, it charges without an issue. If I plug the Jaguar charging cable into my Lucid, on the very same 110 outlet in my garage, my Lucid charges without an issue, for hours on end.

Lucid service came out and verified all of this, and confirmed my suspicions that on the Lucid cable the Lucid attempts to draw too much amperage for the outlet.

I tried buying a third party charging cable, meant to emulate the Jaguar charging cable, but received the same charging failure.

Aside from buying a Jaguar charging cable for my Lucid, can anyone recommend a charging cable that will be low enough amperage?

If I attempt to charge my Lucid, using my Lucid charging cable, on the 110 outlet in my garage, I get a charging failure after two minutes of charging. If I attempt to charge my Jaguar I-Pace, using my Jaguar charging cable, on the very same 110 outlet in my garage, it charges without an issue. If I plug the Jaguar charging cable into my Lucid, on the very same 110 outlet in my garage, my Lucid charges without an issue, for hours on end.

Lucid service came out and verified all of this, and confirmed my suspicions that on the Lucid cable the Lucid attempts to draw too much amperage for the outlet.

I tried buying a third party charging cable, meant to emulate the Jaguar charging cable, but received the same charging failure.

Aside from buying a Jaguar charging cable for my Lucid, can anyone recommend a charging cable that will be low enough amperage?
Wouldn't recommend charging on a 110 outlet in the first place as you will be lucky to get 1 mile per hour

Isn't the jag using j1772 also? Can't you just use the same cable?

Odd. I routinely trickle charge on a 110 with the supplied Lucid cable with no issues. Only get about 2 miles per hour, but it will eventually charge fully or to the set limit even if it takes days to weeks of continuous charging.

Try the Jag cable on the Lucid to rule out a bad cable.

Apologies if I created confusion.

There are nuances with the power in my building, so it's not uncommon for things to have charging issues if they're capable of drawing large current.

The Lucid cable does not charge my Lucid at home because it attempts to draw too much current for the nuances of my building.

The Jaguar charging cable does indeed successfully charge my Lucid, at the rate of about 3 miles per hour, which is exactly what I need it to do for my daily use.

It's inconvenient to share the Jaguar charging cable between two cars, so I'm seeking to purchase either a second Jaguar charging cable, or a third party cable that will work.

Does anyone have experience with and is able to recommend a third party cable that works?

Many thanks!

Be careful charging on a non-dedicated 110V outlet. You are drawing 10-12 amps for a long period of time and loose connections can get very hot and not trip a breaker.

View attachment Outlet.jpg

Does anyone have a cable recommendation to offer?

I would not use 110v charging as your regular charging. It will take a week to charge it up.

I'm aware of all of the possible constraints and pitfalls of 110 charging. Does anyone have a cable recommendation to offer?

If the jaguar cable works for the Lucid, I would just get a second one. Otherwise, any simple Level 1 charger could work that draws the same number of amps that your I-pace one does.

I'm aware of all of the possible constraints and pitfalls of 110 charging. Does anyone have a cable recommendation to offer, that they know works, other than the Jaguar cable?

I don't think anyone on this forum uses a 110v cable so nobody has any recs. It is a bit frustrating as you seem to have a need for it, but unfortunately it looks like you are going to have to experiment and let us know the correct answer, since we are ignorant of such things!

I'm aware of all of the possible constraints and pitfalls of 110 charging. Does anyone have a cable recommendation to offer, that they know works, other than the Jaguar cable?
Did Lucid not replace the cable for you? It should work just fine for 110v charging.

The cable tests out just fine. The issue lies in the nuances of the power in my building.

When charging with the Lucid Mobile cable and charging failed, what did it do? Did the little box with Lucid logo near the plug flash red? If so, how many flashes. Seven flashes indicates an under voltage condition. I suspect the issue is how sensitive an EVSE is to a low voltage. In theory, all of the 110V EVSEs will try to draw 12 Amps. The Lucid Mobile charging specification is down to 100V. Most of us here have no way of knowing the under voltage limits of other chargers. Hence, I agree getting a Jaguar charger since you know that it works.

When charging with the Lucid Mobile cable and charging failed, what did it do? Did the little box with Lucid logo near the plug flash red? If so, how many flashes. Seven flashes indicates an under voltage condition. I suspect the issue is how sensitive an EVSE is to a low voltage. In theory, all of the 110V EVSEs will try to draw 12 Amps. The Lucid Mobile charging specification is down to 100V. Most of us here have no way of knowing the under voltage limits of other chargers. Hence, I agree getting a Jaguar charger since you know that it works.

Great question! The little box with the Lucid logo simply stops pulsing white, and the green charging lights on the Lucid itself go from pulsing green to solid red, and it always takes 2 minutes for it to happen. And sadly, getting a Jaguar charging cable is no longer an option as it appears that one night of successful charging with it was a one time fluke that I've been unable to replicate. I'll either always make a point to charge away from home, or we'll look into installing a charger at home. Many thanks for the feedback!

Sounds like you may have trouble with any 110v EVSE then since the Jaguar charger working was a one time fluke. Is there anyway you can install a 240V circuit in your garage. I assume it is a condo or townhome since you said the “nuances in your building”. If it is, then you may not be able to do that, but you might see HOA would install charging stations at the complex. Sorry if this is not something you can or want to do, but but I don’t know the specifics about your building or situation. I agree with the other posers that 110v is just not optimal with this car, but really would be used in an emergency type of situation.

Back