• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Charging at Tesla Supercharger stations "later this year"

Unless Tesla upgrades to a 900V system, don't expect the Lucid to charge very fast on a Tesla station. Lucid does have a DC to DC boost capability but I does anyone know the current limit when using the DC boost. Tesla stations could still be helpful where no other stations are around.
I saw some of the people on this forum debating with Branden Flasch on Twitter about this very topic. it seemed that some of the Lucid owners were referring to Superchargers as old tech and Branden couldn’t seem to separate the word “old” from “bad”. I was wondering if someone could explain in simple terms why a Lucid won’t be able to charge very fast on a Supercharger? I saw Tom Moloughney talk to a Lucid owner who was charging at a now open Supercharger and the Lucid owner was only getting 40 to 50 KW. So, that pretty much confirms a Lucid won’t be able to charge very fast but I can’t seem to wrap my head around why.

I saw some of the people on this forum debating with Branden Flasch on Twitter about this very topic. it seemed that some of the Lucid owners were referring to Superchargers as old tech and Branden couldn’t seem to separate the word “old” from “bad”. I was wondering if someone could explain in simple terms why a Lucid won’t be able to charge very fast on a Supercharger? I saw Tom Moloughney talk to a Lucid owner who was charging at a now open Supercharger and the Lucid owner was only getting 40 to 50 KW. So, that pretty much confirms a Lucid won’t be able to charge very fast but I can’t seem to wrap my head around why.
Tesla superchargers (v3) voltage is 400, too low to drive our Wunderbox at higher rates.

Tesla superchargers (v3) voltage is 400, too low to drive our Wunderbox at higher rates.
So, even though the Wunderbox boosts up to 900v it can't boost 400?
I should probably re-watch the Wunderbox tech talk :)

Also, I think I've seen that the v4 superchargers are 1000KW so once those are installed and opened up then we will be able to charge are the higher rates we would expect, is that correct?

My apologies for the elementary questions.

Also, I think I've seen that the v4 superchargers are 1000KW so once those are installed and opened up then we will be able to charge are the higher rates we would expect, is that correct?

Yes the V4 will supposedly allow full speed.

I'm sure one of the electrical engineers can explain it here better than I can, but basically, the Wunderbox can boost the voltage, but that's what slows down the output.

The V4 chargers will indeed fix this for us. And Tesla has pretty good motivation to get those out to as many locations as possible quickly. Between the correct voltage and longer cables, it'll make third-party charging that much more enticing. Thus bringing in more profit. (Tesla seems to be the one charging company who actually wants to make money at this, as far as I can tell.) Also, the government money only comes with chargers that can do 1000v. So I think this is a very temporary problem.

This video will explain thoroughly how different Non-Tesla brands will charge differently in Tesla Supercharger.

BTW, I started watching the Wunderbox tech talk again and almost immediately this slide came up at around 2.5 mins showing a max of 50 KW at a 400v charger.

Attachments

• lucid_legacy_dc_chartger.png
    lucid_legacy_dc_chartger.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 91
BTW, I started watching the Wunderbox tech talk again and almost immediately this slide came up at around 2.5 mins showing a max of 50 KW at a 400v charger.
Tesla seems to be doing a limited beta teat with these Magic Dock placements on v3 superchargers. Short cable length and low 400V output will be a problm for many EVs. But Tesla's V4 superchargers, now being installed for the first time in Europe (not here yet?), will have both a longer cable and 1000V output capability, and should eliminate the issues. And they'll be eligible for part of that $5 billion in federal NEVI money. I expect v4 supercharger installations with Magic Dock will happen later this year or early next.

Yeah this is a temporary problem. Once v4 is in place it won’t be an issue at all.

The cables are too short for a Lucid or almost any other car on v3 anyway. This is just a beta test.

I’m not stressed about it, lol

Yeah this is a temporary problem. Once v4 is in place it won’t be an issue at all.

The cables are too short for a Lucid or almost any other car on v3 anyway. This is just a beta test.

I’m not stressed about it, lol
I’m not either. I just wanted to understand it.

Back