• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Charging at Tesla Supercharger stations "later this year"

We just got our power bill for June. It was up $120 over the prior month for pretty much the same usage due to a "temporary" fuel surcharge -- and our power company generates over half of its power using nuclear and solar, using natural gas for the rest. I shudder to think what our gasoline bill would have been if we were still putting over 1600 miles a month on ICE vehicles.

I'll welcome the fallback of having access to Tesla superchargers on a road trip, but we plan to stick with EA chargers whenever possible while we are still in the 3-year free charging window from Lucid. (I can't imagine Lucid is too happy with what this program is now costing them in this fuel environment.)

It should be Tesla’s right to make official announcement, not White House.

I think Musk is too busy buying / not buying / maybe buying / trying to escape buying / getting ready to sue over buying or not buying Twitter to tend to such mundane things as the Supercharger network.

Bear in mind that Tesla probably has about 15,000 or so chargers in the US. I assume the new dual cable chargers will first be employed at new locations under the infrastructure bill. They may start production end of year but the actual opening of new stations will vary based on permitting and approval timelines of local governments so it could easily be a year from now when the first location opens.

Replacement of existing chargers with new dual cable versions will likely happen as chargers are due to be replaced, and as they are not new stations that would not seem to fall under the Infrastructure bill.

Also I wish the infrastructure bill would mandate that funded charge stations need to include canopies. In addition to making an improved customer experience it would presumably shorten charge times in warmer weather (less power going to cranking the AC).

I hope the bill is structured as a reimbursement, but I highly doubt that

Also I wish the infrastructure bill would mandate that funded charge stations need to include canopies. In addition to making an improved customer experience it would presumably shorten charge times in warmer weather (less power going to cranking the AC).
I can tell you that for EA, the canopies were a choice of the Landowner whether or not to get installed. EA offers the option, but the Landlord gets the final say.

Retrofitting aside, will the Tesla charging cable even make it to the charge port on the Lucid with an adaptor as Elon suggested they would do? It’s pretty short in length.

I think that’s half the issue in Europe and non Teslas parking over multiple spaces to get the cable to plug in and they’re all CCS already. I don’t think this is going to be as simple as just put a CCS adapter / cable at each charger and away we go scenario.

I can tell you that for EA, the canopies were a choice of the Landowner whether or not to get installed. EA offers the option, but the Landlord gets the final say.
So the landlord gets to decide the fate of EA’s equipment sitting out in the elements all year around? Nice!

Meanwhile, we all suffer when they’re broken

Retrofitting aside, will the Tesla charging cable even make it to the charge port on the Lucid with an adaptor as Elon suggested they would do? It’s pretty short in length.

I think that’s half the issue in Europe and non Teslas parking over multiple spaces to get the cable to plug in and they’re all CCS already. I don’t think this is going to be as simple as just put a CCS adapter / cable at each charger and away we go scenario.

A cable extension may have to be part of the adapter, although that might be impossible with cables that require cooling.

So the landlord gets to decide the fate of EA’s equipment sitting out in the elements all year around? Nice!

Meanwhile, we all suffer when they’re broken
Yes, unfortunately, and in my specific case is partly due to permitting by the city both for "overhead structures" and "parking space requirements"

Eventually all EV’s will use the same standard plug and the charging port will be in the same place on every vehicle. until then who knows….

Eventually all EV’s will use the same standard plug and the charging port will be in the same place on every vehicle. until then who knows….
Just like all ICE vehicles put the gas fill on the same side of the car...

My understanding is that new “universal” superchargers will have 2 cables (I think Elon specifically said their solution would not involve an adapter, but I guess we will have to wait). Somewhere out there are leaked dimensions of the next generation supercharger which are taller than existing ones. I suspect the extra height might be to allow 2 cables, with the CCS potentially being a longer cable, to drape/hang.

Just like all ICE vehicles put the gas fill on the same side of the car...
Exactly :) I have, and have had, ICE vehicles with gas fill on both sides. In fact both rear quarters, front left quarter, and rear center.

Back