Please critique my piece in Barron's

"The $179,000 version of the Air boasts a top range of 520 miles per charge and the highest horsepower of any production car in the world" needs some adjustment to reflect the currently available model lineup. Otherwise the article seems like kind of a hit piece without balance - no mention of the thousands of satisfied owners, or all the awards the various Air version have accumulated. I'm about as jaded as they come for EVs, but the Air is a great car.
Subscription to Barron’s cancelled!
I just cancelled my subscription. This guy published and THEN asked for a critique. Well done journalism! The meaning of Journalism has been changed by folks who are never experts in a field and just fill a seat or worse, they may be already compromised in some way as we have seen time and time again.
10,000 + miles on my GT - I love it.
Bill Alpert has nil value as a journalist with this piece.
in fact he should be sued for malpractice.
He may be in someone's pocket. How did he get to post in the member's only section? He joined 2.5 weeks prior to publishing the "journalism"

This isn’t the members only section. It’s the new member intros.
Should we link accounts here to reservations only so that only those whoa re only owners are waiting to own can communicate here?

Should we link accounts here to reservations only so that only those whoa re only owners are waiting to own can communicate here?
And how would we verify someone has a reservation? Seems to me that would be very easy to fake.

And how would we verify someone has a reservation? Seems to me that would be very easy to fake.
Bummer. At least we can ask for a screenshot of the reservation. Not everyone will take the trouble to fake it. Yes, there will be some. We can have a questionnaire too which can help weed out.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-22 7.05.50 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-22 7.05.50 AM.png
    22 KB · Views: 89
I really hope that Lucid’s legal team goes after Barron’s for this. It would be nice if lazy “journalists” were made to go back to using primary sources, rather than online forums.

Bill Alpert is not foreign to defamation and libel lawsuits. He is just being himself.

Last edited:
Bill Alpert is not foreign to defamation and libel lawsuits. He is just being himself.

Ultimately the truth will prevail. Word of mouth advertising and more Lucid Air's on the road will overcome these poorly researched and unbalanced articles.

Well it looks like the pre-determined agenda worked, LCID is the lowest it’s ever been now at $10 share. Nice hit piece. I have people everywhere at work asking me how many problems I’ve had with my car now and saying they heard Lucid was gonna bankrupt and the cars are disasters. Nothing is more powerful than manufactured hysteria.

Last edited:
Ultimately the truth will prevail. Word of mouth advertising and more Lucid Air's on the road will overcome these poorly researched and unbalanced articles.
I disagree. I personally know 2 people who were going to buy a Rivian but then backed out because they were worried Rivian would go bankrupt from similar “financial” articles. Even if Barrons retracted this deliberately misleading article, the damage is done (see Andrew Wakefield’s retracted anti-vaccine article in The Lancet). Having low standards to increase readership is devastating and unethical.

Well it looks like the pre-determined agenda worked, LCID is the lowest it’s ever been now at $10 share. Nice hit piece. I have people everywhere at work asking me how many problems I’ve had with my car now and saying they heard Lucid was gonna bankrupt and the cars are disasters. Nothing is more powerful than manufactured hysteria.
I too have had people ask me if Lucid is "teetering" or will be "bought out by GM or Ford" or "go bankrupt". Also asked how many times my car has been "in the shop" -- I told them that I have over 10,000 miles on my Lucid Air and it has not been back to the "shop" since I took delivery of it in May 2022. Good grief.

I disagree. I personally know 2 people who were going to buy a Rivian but then backed out because they were worried Rivian would go bankrupt from similar “financial” articles.
I believe you. It's crazy. But over the longer term, it will all work out for Lucid (and Rivian). Both are great companies with outstanding products. BTW, I put a deposit down on a Rivian RS1 for my wife. I think that a Gravity may be too upscale to shuttle the kids and dog around...

I'm hoping this so called "journalist" still reads our responses (cowardly mind you, by staying quiet).
I 'm not a journalist, so don't hold me to any standards, but while doing some research (of sort), I found few comments from his colleagues questioning handling his partner's "vehicle". Very wobbly, very loose, very questionable and forgiving especially at nights. Simply very poor handling.
After posting this on a anonymous great blog, I'll ask Bill Alpert if his personal stock/stack/erection went down, or up.
Just curious his reaction (if he's got balls).

I'm hoping this so called "journalist" still reads our responses (cowardly mind you, by staying quiet).
I 'm not a journalist, so don't hold me to any standards, but while doing some research (of sort), I found few comments from his colleagues questioning handling his partner's "vehicle". Very wobbly, very loose, very questionable and forgiving especially at nights. Simply very poor handling.
After posting this on a anonymous great blog, I'll ask Bill Alpert if his personal stock/stack/erection went down, or up.
Just curious his reaction (if he's got balls).
He wasn't interested in the critique, he simply wanted everyone in the forum to click on the link.

Exactly this. More clicks. More views. More money. Doesn't matter that the vast majority of us thought the article was crap.
The article is in the post though. I read it but no one will ever know and Barton’s makes nothing off me 😎

Wait… I guess they know I read it now.

All:

I just wrote about some issues discussed here. I beg you to point out errors. Good journalists care about quality control in their work.

Bill Alpert
[email protected]

Lucid’s High-End EV Is Drawing Safety Complaints. Another Problem for the Stock?​

By
Bill Alpert

Updated Nov. 18, 2022 9:35 am ET / Original Nov. 18, 2022 1:00 am ET
im-666879

The Lucid Air, the object of safety complaints, goes for as much as $179,000. Assembling a prototype at company headquarters in Newark, Calif.​

David Paul Morris/Bloomberg
Lucid Group has carved a niche in the luxury end of the electric-vehicle market, with $150,000 sedans that offer the best power, range, and aerodynamics of any car produced. Owners fill online forums with delighted reports of long trips and snapshots of their beautiful, streamlined “Luci.”
The forums and government websites also show dozens of complaints of serious product defects. A year after Lucid (ticker: LCID) started delivering its sole product—the Lucid Air sedan—owners’ forums feature dozens of reports from people who say the cars drove forward when in reverse gear, or lost all power in the middle of the road, to become what one owner called a “5,000 pound brick.” Federal auto-safety regulators have received six complaints of power loss or gear malfunction from Lucid owners since mid-September.
Car-safety experts say the volume of complaints to the forums and to the government are significant for a company that has shipped about 2,500 of its high-price cars through September.
A power blackout in traffic could spell trouble. “If you’re broken down on the interstate where you don’t have room to pull over and get out of traffic, it’s only a matter of time before something bad happens,” says Michael Brooks, the executive director of the nonprofit Center for Auto Safety. He believes that the federal government’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, or NHTSA, should investigate the Lucid power-loss complaints.
Lucid didn’t respond to several weeks of queries from Barron’s regarding the problems reported by Air owners. Self-described owners report that the company has replaced failed batteries and electrical components as incidents occur.Barron’s was unsuccessful in attempts to reach several writers who posted complaints on forums. The car-safety experts we consulted found the comments credible.
If the complaints become widely known among prospective buyers, it could affect Lucid’s order book—and orders are a key factor for its stock. At $11.30, the shares are down 80% from their year-ago peak, as the Newark, Calif.–based firm repeatedly cut its production forecast and reported that its order backlog shrank in the September quarter because of cancellations. With September’s 8% sequential drop, to 34,000 cars on order, the number is going in reverse.
The Lucid Air does have a lot going for it. When reviewers test-drove units last year, they raved over the power, range, and luxury—all of which rated higher than those of the top-end Model S from Tesla TSLA –2.48% (TSLA). The $179,000 version of the Air boasts a top range of 520 miles per charge and the highest horsepower of any production car in the world.
User forums, however, are filled with reports of software bugs affecting displays, assisted driving, and charging. Some two dozen writers on the independent social platform Lucidowners.com report a more serious problem: Their new Lucid Airs lost power abruptly—sometimes in busy traffic.
“My plan was a glowing review with a few minor niggles,” said a Lucidowners.com post in September. “Unfortunately, the car was towed to the service center in Riviera Beach last night after it stopped driving in the middle of a six-lane road here in S FL with no warning or error codes.”
Six Lucid owners have reported their power-loss problems on NHTSA’s website. “It seems like this is an obvious safety problem and something that NHTSA needs to look into quickly, before someone stalls and gets themselves killed,” says Brooks of the Center for Auto Safety. His organization has spent five decades securing the passage of lemon laws and the recall of millions of cars prone to exploding gas tanks or air bags.
The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act doesn’t require many incidents to trigger a recall of a potentially unsafe product. When Lucid issued a voluntary recall for a faulty suspension part in February, it estimated that the component had gone into just 1% of the 203 cars it produced.
Courts have held that anything more than a “de minimis” number of failure incidents can be enough to oblige a safety recall, says Coleman Sachs, a compliance consultant who retired recently after 33 years as a NHTSA attorney and enforcement manager. While Sachs wouldn’t give an opinion on the merits of the complaints on the owners’ forum and NHTSA’s website, he says that their apparent number, in the dozens, seems more than a de minimis proportion of all 2,500 cars produced.
The complaints come as Lucid is facing a safety-related whistle-blower lawsuit filed in June in a California state court. In the suit, Lucid’s former manager of safety recall, Raul Guzman, alleges he was unjustly fired after telling CEO Peter Rawlinson that he believed Lucid was underreporting various defects to federal regulators. The suit doesn’t mention power loss or gear problems. Lucid and Guzman’s lawyers didn’t respond to requests for comment.
NHTSA wouldn’t discuss whether it was looking into the complaints of Lucid owners. A spokesperson said the agency is committed to ensuring the safety of vehicles on America’s roads and “closely monitors consumer complaints, data, and other resources of information to identify potential defect trends.”
Production problems, safety investigations, and recalls aren’t unusual in the auto industry.
“Tesla’s Model S launch was not without its trials and tribulations,” notes Cory Steuben, president of the auto engineering consultants Munro & Associates. But today’s crowded EV market allows Lucid less margin for error than when Tesla launched a decade ago, says Steuben. Lucid must compete against an ever-growing range of EV alternatives from luxury producers like Mercedes-Benz (MBGYY), BMW (BMWYY), Audi, and its parent Porsche (POAHY).
The crowd of well-capitalized competitors in the premium EV niche is a key reason that Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas has a sell rating on Lucid stock. He thinks the stock is worth no more than $10—and if Lucid continues to struggle with production volumes, as little as $3.
Lucid investors and customers take comfort in the company’s staying power because its 60% shareholder is Saudi Arabia’s sovereign-wealth fund. An affiliate of the Saudi fund recently agreed to buy as much as $915 million more in Lucid shares. But with $3.9 billion in cash on its September balance sheet, and analysts like Needham’s Vikram Bagri projecting $4 billion in cash consumption next year, Lucid will probably need more financing. Lucid told investors on its last conference call that it has enough to tide it over into next year’s last quarter.
Write to Bill Alpert at [email protected]
Did you short the stock before you published the article?

Now you know how to do research. Maybe Bill can pick up some pointers from you!

Did you short the stock before you published the article?
Good question…
I too have had people ask me if Lucid is "teetering" or will be "bought out by GM or Ford" or "go bankrupt". Also asked how many times my car has been "in the shop" -- I told them that I have over 10,000 miles on my Lucid Air and it has not been back to the "shop" since I took delivery of it in May 2022. Good grief.
I have had no issues with my Lucid Air. I just hit 5000 miles.

He wasn't interested in the critique, he simply wanted everyone in the forum to click on the link.
Well, his article could work to bring out all of the positives about Lucid rather than what he intended.

Back