Charging at home (@120v) while on trip

WJA

Cars
Air Grand Touring
DE Number
I have been out of the country and have noticed that the mile range has dropped (via Lucid app) almost 70 miles in less than a week. I have the charging set at daily and have contacted Lucid to see if this is normal. Has anyone had a similar experience, i.e., loosing range when not using the car and having it just parked and plugged in?

From my limited observation, it seems there is a bug when charging. Not sure if this is the case, but it seems as if when the car gets to the charge limit, that it just stops charging even if it's plugged in. So then the problem becomes you reached your charge level but because it's still plugged in the car thinks it's supposed to be charging and runs the fans but doesn't actually charge.

That is exactly what is happening however, after the charge goes below that set level the fans run, but it never starts charging back to that set limit. I have lost over 100 miles range over the past week and a half without any charge being replaced with the plug in and the app saying it is charging.

That is exactly what is happening however, after the charge goes below that set level the fans run, but it never starts charging back to that set limit. I have lost over 100 miles range over the past week and a half without any charge being replaced with the plug in and the app saying it is charging.
Interesting. My DA said if I was going away on a trip to leave the car plugged in to trickle charge so that it didn’t run down to zero and for general battery health. There must be a bug that runs the fans hard like @hydbob was saying which uses more juice than the trickle charge is giving it? Or maybe the car just sucks at math and your range isn’t going down that much? Can you just say “stop charging” in the app remotely and see if that stops the fans and helps over time? OR MAYBE they secretly activated reverse power and you’re powering your house off the car woohoo 😝

You can stop charging remotely. I tried that and it didn't make a difference. When I get back into town I have a service tech coming to check it out.

Interesting. My DA said if I was going away on a trip to leave the car plugged in to trickle charge so that it didn’t run down to zero and for general battery health. There must be a bug that runs the fans hard like @hydbob was saying which uses more juice than the trickle charge is giving it? Or maybe the car just sucks at math and your range isn’t going down that much? Can you just say “stop charging” in the app remotely and see if that stops the fans and helps over time? OR MAYBE they secretly activated reverse power and you’re powering your house off the car woohoo 😝

Trickle charge? Really? How does that even work?

I guess an alternative would be to plug the car into a Level 1 charger (regular 110V extension cord) and see if that could be a functional trickle charger. It could charge so slowly that the fans would never be needed. Might be an interesting experiment.

Wait. OP is already using 120V for charging and losing miles. Never mind. :(

You can stop charging remotely. I tried that and it didn't make a difference. When I get back into town I have a service tech coming to check it out.
Bummer. Yeah that shouldn’t happen. The car is definitely expending energy when it shouldn’t.

Bummer. Yeah that shouldn’t happen. The car is definitely expending energy when it shouldn’t.
I picked up mine yesterday and immediately drove 300 miles on vacation - planned on just using level 1 charging while at the lake. I gained 4 miles total overnight and lost miles today (started the day with 86 miles and ended with 81). I think something is up where the car is using more energy than it is taking in while charging to cool batteries, etc.

Luckily there is a EA charger about 30 minutes away towards home that I’ll be able to use on my way out.

I picked up mine yesterday and immediately drove 300 miles on vacation - planned on just using level 1 charging while at the lake. I gained 4 miles total overnight and lost miles today (started the day with 86 miles and ended with 81). I think something is up where the car is using more energy than it is taking in while charging to cool batteries, etc.

Luckily there is a EA charger about 30 minutes away towards home that I’ll be able to use on my way out.
What's the temp where you are at?

What's the temp where you are at?
It was 70 today so not hot but I was in direct sunlight charging outside. Was in garage overnight and only had minor gains. Came from a Tesla that would get 3-5 miles per hour on 120.

Definitely the BMS trying to keep it cool since in the garage you were able to have minor gains.

I trickle charge all the time and get about 2-3 miles per hour for 20-30+ miles added overnight. I’ve also left my car trickle charging for a few weeks and it did eventually get to 100%. But that was on 1.2.1. Not sure about 1.2.6.

Why does Lucid even supply a 120v plug on their mobile charger? It seems pretty useless.

Why does Lucid even supply a 120v plug on their mobile charger? It seems pretty useless.
It’s very useful for me. In fact, it’s all I use on a nightly basis. I do EA charging when it happens to be convenient to do so or if I need to go longer distances. Waiting for the lucid charger!

It’s very useful for me. In fact, it’s all I use on a nightly basis. I do EA charging when it happens to be convenient to do so or if I need to go longer distances. Waiting for the lucid charger!
So you don’t get negative charging or only <10 miles when you charge overnight then?

In my SoCal garage on 110 I can get roughly 16-20miles overnight

In my SoCal garage on 110 I can get roughly 16-20miles overnight
That is better than others but still seems very inefficient. So the input is about 4-5 kw? I consider overnight from 12-6a (my super off peak) which means 0.7 to 0.8 kw/h. On a 15 amp circuit drawing 12 amps, one should be adding 1.44 kw/hr. So , with a short overnight, about 1/2 of the input is being ‘lost’ to vampire drain by the car. If your overnight is longer than just 6 hours, then the vampire drain is much, much worse. While you *can* use a 120v plug, it seems very inefficient. To put it in another way, it will take 224 kw to fill a battery if one is losing 50% of the input on a 120v NEMA 5-15 plug. The efficiency of a GT range will go from 4.6 miles per kw down to 2.3.

it works for you, but is very inefficient.

Fascinating. Far be it from me to argue the numbers. All I know is that if I get home and just plug in the car, the 30 or so miles I might get will almost always cover my next day driving and then some. And that’s what I like. Seamlessness. Set it and forget it 😁

Back