Charging at home (@120v) while on trip

I get 20-30 miles if I charge say 6pm-6am
30 miles is about 6.5 kw for a GT range. Charging on a regular outlet for 12h *should* add 17.2 kw. That means there is a vampire drain of 10.7 kw overnight. 30 miles / 17.2 kw input = 1.7 miles per kw.

it works, but is just very inefficient. Not trying to be negative, but I am always looking at the efficiency vs. an ICE. For that it is miles per gallon delivered. For an EV it is miles per kw delivered. For me in SD, the cheap rate is about 9 cents per kw. It is still cheaper than an ICE, but runs at 5.3 cents per mile (9 cents / 1.7 miles). If the Lucid GT range efficiency is 4.6 miles per kw, I should be <2 cents per mile.

30 miles is about 6.5 kw for a GT range. Charging on a regular outlet for 12h *should* add 17.2 kw. That means there is a vampire drain of 10.7 kw overnight. 30 miles / 17.2 kw input = 1.7 miles per kw.

it works, but is just very inefficient. Not trying to be negative, but I am always looking at the efficiency vs. an ICE. For that it is miles per gallon delivered. For an EV it is miles per kw delivered. For me in SD, the cheap rate is about 9 cents per kw. It is still cheaper than an ICE, but runs at 5.3 cents per mile (9 cents / 1.7 miles). If the Lucid GT range efficiency is 4.6 miles per kw, I should be <2 cents per mile.
This is a good analysis. Just numbers, nothing negative about it imo. Makes me wonder exactly how many miles I do get from 6pm-6am. I’m gonna pay closer attention now!

This is a good analysis. Just numbers, nothing negative about it imo. Makes me wonder exactly how many miles I do get from 6pm-6am. I’m gonna pay closer attention now!
I always think in kw instead of miles. Miles added depends on how aggressive you drive! 😀

The actual miles per kw delivered is something I really want to know once I get my GT on Friday. I’ll give my numbers here as I get them.

I always think in kw instead of miles. Miles added depends on how aggressive you drive! 😀

The actual miles per kw delivered is something I really want to know once I get my GT on Friday. I’ll give my numbers here as I get them.
WAIT did I miss something, your GT is coming in less than a week?? WOOHOO CONGRATS!

WAIT did I miss something, your GT is coming in less than a week?? WOOHOO CONGRATS!
YES!!!! they told me it was ready Wednesday evening. I thought it was still at the factory based on the communications (still not happy with the lack of communication from my DA). If they had given me the heads up in advance, I could have had the funds ready and would already have it. Nonetheless. they scheduled me for a pickup on Friday. I can’t wait to finally get it, 7.5 months after confirmation, it MAY finally be here.

I’m getting around 3.6-3.8 mi/kWh with normal driving, not aggressive but far from conservative. For the first 1500-2000 miles or so it was more like 3.2-3.4 because the tightness of the motor components, which is a known thing with the Lucid where the efficiency improves as the motors lose some resistance. I think the InsideEVs car that did 500 miles had like 5k miles on it. If I reset the trip computer after getting on the highway and just drive at 70mph with a few elevation changes it will get 4.5. Here’s a pic of the results from Pawtucket Rhode Island to Boston airport a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• 3E6A3DDC-E2B2-4787-A4EA-5B48F86132B2.jpeg
    3E6A3DDC-E2B2-4787-A4EA-5B48F86132B2.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 99
Last edited:
To keep it on topic though, why would anyone charge on a 120v? I understand if that’s all you have, or you’ve planned a road trip in such a way where there’s no faster charging options (I think that’s not common now) but I’d assume if someone is going to go with the added expense of purchasing an EV then you’d just put a 220v in.

To keep it on topic though, why would anyone charge on a 120v? I understand if that’s all you have, or you’ve planned a road trip in such a way where there’s no faster charging options (I think that’s not common now) but I’d assume if someone is going to go with the added expense of purchasing an EV then you’d just put a 220v in.
Some people are waiting for the Lucid home charger. When that arrives, they will add a 100amp circuit and hardwire it in with all the necessary transfer switches instead of having an electrician come out twice - once for a 240 /50 amp and plug and a second time to replace it all.

I can understand that and considered it as well. I already have a ChargePoint flex but the Leaf would be using that. I could trickled 120v into the GT, use EA chargers and then grab the ChargePoint on weekends when the Leaf is full until the Lucid Home charger is available. I decided just to install a second 240 since I figured the home charger availability would be longer than just a couple of months and I wanted the convenience now.

I’ve been saying it from the day I got my car, the BMS is far too cautious at this stage. The car isn’t truly providing the range advertised if one charges and parks. I have seen EPA numbers when I charge and continue driving, but losing miles on 120V, 220V and DCFC, really robs the advertised range. Thankfully the BMS can be fine tuned via OTA, I just hope that’s on the docket for Lucid, for all I know they may not view it as an issue like I do.

I’m getting around 3.6-3.8 mi/kWh with normal driving, not aggressive but far from conservative. For the first 1500-2000 miles or so it was more like 3.2-3.4 because the tightness of the motor components, which is a known thing with the Lucid where the efficiency improves as the motors lose some resistance. I think the InsideEVs car that did 500 miles had like 5k miles on it. If I reset the trip computer after getting on the highway and just drive at 70mph with a few elevation changes it will get 4.5. Here’s a pic of the results from Pawtucket Rhode Island to Boston airport a few weeks ago.
I am curious, what is that curled wire coming out of your screen in the picture you attached?

I charged my new GT at an EA charger close to my house to a range of 469 miles. Drove 1.5 miles to my house and parked it in the garage. Two days later range shows 424 miles.
That is a loss of 45 miles in two days by just by seating in the garage.
Weather has been very mild here in Mill Valley, around 65-68 degrees.
We are going to be out of town for a couple of weeks and I am concerned that I may come back to a dead battery.
Any ideas what may be happening to loose so much range in such short period of time?
While I have a 240V 100A for my Tesla, I cannot use it for the Lucid. I tried a 110V and can't even get it to start.

I charged my new GT at an EA charger close to my house to a range of 469 miles. Drove 1.5 miles to my house and parked it in the garage. Two days later range shows 424 miles.
We are going to be out of town for a couple of weeks and I am concerned that I may come back to a dead battery.
Any ideas what may be happening to loose so much range in such short period of time?
While I have a 240V 100A for my Tesla, I cannot use it for the Lucid. I tried a 110V and can't even get it to start.
The DCFC sucked up all your battery. After a DCFC you really need to drive it for 10 minutes to cool off the batteries otherwise the fans and BMS have to run for longer to cool them off. Don't worry you won't lose thar much range while you are gone. In temperate weather and if your car is garaged, you might lose up to 2 miles per day. I think @Tesla2.0 was gone for 3 weeks and only lost like 5% SOC.

Yeah DCFC hyperactivates the BMS and if you’re not driving for at least 20-30 min after then the car has to spin those fans even harder to offset the heat generated by high kW DCFC. I’ve also noticed if DCFC above 200kw to a high SOC% you’ll lose a good 5-6% if you park the car shortly thereafter, but then it stabilizes and you won’t get much further phantom drain unless it gets pretty cold out. Lucid service has confirmed that to me as well. I think there’s some break in period with the BMS/battery as well, as I saw larger phantom drain after DCFC and then parking the car when the car was new than I do now.

Make sure your key fobs are not too close while you are gone or out then in a faraday bag. That could cause larger loss too if the car keeps turning on.

Back