Cell Phone Charger

CLTGT

Verified Owner
Cars
73 Mustang Conv & the GT
I know this has been mentioned in a couple different areas, but does anyone know what Lucid is planning to do about the cell phone charging area? My iPhone 13 pro with the standard leather case has to be really shoved in to make it work. I tried it out during my test drive and it is really annoying. Not to mention that you cannot see the phone or do other stuff. If I am listening to a playlist on my phone via bluetooth, how much control do I really have on the car screens to do things? If I am using the SiriusXM app on my phone using the bluetooth connection, is the only way to change stations going to be on the phone?

If the answer is that I must control the music via my phone via bluetooth, it sounds like I will never be able to use the charger. During the test drive, the sales rep only had it on an fm station and that started to get fuzzy at some point. Is that because the only source you can really use is AM/FM radio? I have not listened to the radio in decades.

I know this has been mentioned in a couple different areas, but does anyone know what Lucid is planning to do about the cell phone charging area? My iPhone 13 pro with the standard leather case has to be really shoved in to make it work. I tried it out during my test drive and it is really annoying. Not to mention that you cannot see the phone or do other stuff. If I am listening to a playlist on my phone via bluetooth, how much control do I really have on the car screens to do things? If I am using the SiriusXM app on my phone using the bluetooth connection, is the only way to change stations going to be on the phone?

If the answer is that I must control the music via my phone via bluetooth, it sounds like I will never be able to use the charger. During the test drive, the sales rep only had it on an fm station and that started to get fuzzy at some point. Is that because the only source you can really use is AM/FM radio? I have not listened to the radio in decades.
Apparently, it is on their list as many customers have brought it up and my contact said they are working on something to address the issue because when originally designed it was not for the newer generation of larger phones.

I've mentioned this in other threads, but I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max with an Apple leather case. The "trick" to getting it to charge without shoving it in all the way is to push it in until the Camera Bump causes it to stop. Pushing it in further will cause the phone to not be fully flush with the charging pad. If the phone does not start to charge right away, pull the phone toward you and then press back against the charging pad. This seems to make it start charging. At this point you can push it in all the way, although there is no need to wear out the charging pad rubber or your phone's leather.

Obviously using phone apps is a problem with this charging setup. I use mostly SiriusXM and for that I have several favorites selected and visible on the phone. I have also set the Auto-Lock to Never, because after the screen locks, it's a pain to pull the phone out. I can then quickly glance down and tap one of my favorites. I also then press the down arrow button on the top left of the app to bring the favorites back up. You can't scan or step through stations with the car controls for XM, but it will forward or go back in a broadcast. The Lucid screens says Live all the time, but you may not be listening to live content unless you press the forward button in the steering wheel several time. Also, the app broadcasts are always behind by 2 minutes relative to real time.

When listening to Apple Music via Bluetooth, the back and forward buttons work like they would on the phone. I believe that you can also access some of your favorites and playlists from the Lucid Bluetooth screen, but I haven't used that feature for a while. Album art is not displayed for any bluetooth source. I have reported this to Lucid. They know about it, but all I got was a confirmation that it was that way - no indication if they would fix it.

Apparently, it is on their list as many customers have brought it up and my contact said they are working on something to address the issue because when originally designed it was not for the newer generation of larger phones.
Correct. I’ve been told they are redesigning the part and will provide it as a replacement when requested once complete

i wish they provided two chargers instead of one (or make it an optional add-on).

i wish they provided two chargers instead of one (or make it an optional add-on).
Right, you would think with their "redesign," they would make it a 2-charger standard.

I took delivery of my grand touring today and admit I have lots to learn. So far there is much work to be done with stereo. My iPhone 11 charges well on the wireless charger sleeve in the center console and I keep it in a leather case and it charges through that. The switching between sources is clumsy and lacks so much. Not even XM radio comparable. I have used Spotify and even it is clumsy. I did install Alexia and can say alexia play country music and it will tune to an Amazon list. I hope they greatly improve the stereo interface. Sound though is excellent.

I took delivery of my grand touring today and admit I have lots to learn. So far there is much work to be done with stereo. My iPhone 11 charges well on the wireless charger sleeve in the center console and I keep it in a leather case and it charges through that. The switching between sources is clumsy and lacks so much. Not even XM radio comparable. I have used Spotify and even it is clumsy. I did install Alexia and can say alexia play country music and it will tune to an Amazon list. I hope they greatly improve the stereo interface. Sound though is excellent.

If you download the Alexa app on your phone you can change the source it selects audio from (after installing the Spotify or Tidal integrations).

If you download the Alexa app on your phone you can change the source it selects audio from (after installing the Spotify or Tidal integrations).
I have done this but you need to change source from your phone and not the car.

Right, but the Alexa in the car is tied to your account. So once you enable the Spotify or Tidal skills in Alexa, you can use those as your default Alexa music choice.

Right - but once you’ve changed which source Alexa uses, you can then ask it to play music (through the car) and it will select from that same source, not just Amazon Music. That’s what I was trying to say.

I guess I am going to have to download Alexa and figure it out. I have never used Alexa and really did not want too, kinda hate I am being forced to for something that is so basic on other cars.

That's just the route they decided to go for commands. I don't think of it as basic or not.

Just to give this topic a bump I hope they are truly looking into cell phone charger low power will not charge on my thin case nor the fit .........

Just to give this topic a bump I hope they are truly looking into cell phone charger low power will not charge on my thin case nor the fit .........
If your case has a metal thing on the back it won't for sure just a FYI

no it is silicone ..........silly why would a car in 2022 need a charger ( save bat for distance steal from charger) ? or a usb connection well we will see I was told when I pickup that it is on radar lets hope some one makes it happen Hint guys if your watching ....

I tried this trick yesterday with my iPhone 12 Pro Max, but only got what looked to be intermittent charging. I will give it another shot, but the positioning of the charger more or less makes the phone inaccessible without removal.

The USB port has relatively high rate of charge. You can with plug in directly to phone or to your own wireless charger. Undoubtedly an embarrassing design error... Like a GPS without a compass heading. It's a good thing I love driving the car.

The USB port has relatively high rate of charge.
Both USB ports share a common 5A fuse, so they should be good high amperage, assuming they have an intelligent protocol. This also indicates that the USB ports are for power only, since if they came from the processor, they would not have a dedicated fuse.

I stand corrected. If you watch carefully and slowly feed the iPhone Max into the charger, then it will work. Still don’t love the positioning, but a more robust software suite will make my phone angle irrelevant. Thanks, Alex!

Back