Carscoops Article

To add to this: I went to the article and replied to some of the uninformed comments. I'll have to keep an eye on that. That's the part I hate the most about these articles is that the people commenting have not comprehended the article and try to push their agenda in the comments section. I'm waiting for the "it's <insert-famous-person> fault" comment.
Just tell them that Elon wrote the update software. That should send them off onto a new rant of the day.

Maybe you would like to have this instead:
View attachment 2758

I patiently waited 3 or 4 hours thinking it was still updating. It had gotten dark in the garage and I could finally see this message on the center panel.

The car was totally dead in that I could not unlock the doors with any method. The update progress said 0%. Luckily, I opened the rear trunk and crawled to the front and opened the front doors "mechanically." The rear doors would not open and I could see this as a problem if there were an accident.

I called customer care and they were not able to do anything. They reported this to the OTA team. After about an hour the car alarm was on and I was able to silence it using the key fob. The doors would unlock, but the error message still persisted. I was able to put it in drive and reverse in the garage, so it was probably drivable.

I got a call from customer care and they told me that the OTA team had uploaded another update. The CC person told me to disable WiFi before the update, since he was told that is the safest way to do it. I started the update from the car and in a few minutes it was at 14% after about 20 minutes it was at 24% and stayed there for another 40 minutes (1 hour total). The car again displayed the the above Software Failed message. Customer care called me back to check and I told them of the situation - which was the same as the first time. They put in a problem report and I should hear from someone tomorrow regarding a mobile tech coming out.

It was really hot here today(105º or so) and about as hot in the garage. The car fans are coming on/off, so I left the garage door open and that has helped. The car accessories are on, like interior lights and USB. Hopefully this does not run down the 12V battery – maybe the fans coming on is an indication that the DC to DC converter is kicking in and keeping the accessory battery charged.

The above is a condensed version of what happened. This all transpired in the course of about 7 hours with a lot of diagnosing with the CC person over the phone – including about a gallon of sweat in the hot garage.
You made the feed in google news: https://www.carscoops.com/2022/06/over-the-air-update-turns-lucid-one-sedan-into-a-big-shiny-brick/

I can understand your concerns, but these forums are a public user-generated platform that can be accessed by virtually anyone. You retain copyright over your content and can enforce it if you find another person/platform using it. We cannot enforce copyright belonging to someone else. Any respectable person or platform will more than likely contact you for permission to use your content if they are wanting to.
I’m not a lawyer (and haven’t played one on TV as far as I recall) but I think that media “reporting” on “news” is probably generally considered fair use? Not to say you can’t take action but it might not go anywhere. On the other hand, if someone were to copy technical advice from a car forum post, for example, and then pass it off as their own work (perhaps even for financial benefit) I could see that being a good case.

Of course these days anyone with a blog or Twitter account can basically say they are a member of the “media”, and there is a real anti-EV faction out there that disseminates, distorts anything remotely negative re: EVs (or just makes up outright lies).

While you have to be a member to post on this forum, it is set up intentionally so that non-members can read the posts. Therefore, anything we write is being put out in the public domain.
It’s time to make a login only visable area that you can only see when you are logged into your forum account. Options would be nice for members to be able to do this.

It’s time to make a login only visable area that you can only see when you are logged into your forum account. Options would be nice for members to be able to do this.
I've added a copyright statement to my signature just in case.

And in multiple group text feeds with my friends citing that article. Everyone so quick to point it out to me. I asked if they read the article or the source. “Nah. Says your car is a ‘big shiny brick’, bro!” 🤦🏻‍♂️ Haters gonna hate. Hope the car is good now, @Alex
Articles will always have the clickbait headlines. I had a similar issue with my Tesla Model X with several updates. Service appointment was more than a month away. I was able to drive the car with no displays for that amount of time. The Model X had faulty memory.

I’m not a lawyer (and haven’t played one on TV as far as I recall) but I think that media “reporting” on “news” is probably generally considered fair use? Not to say you can’t take action but it might not go anywhere. On the other hand, if someone were to copy technical advice from a car forum post, for example, and then pass it off as their own work (perhaps even for financial benefit) I could see that being a good case.

Of course these days anyone with a blog or Twitter account can basically say they are a member of the “media”, and there is a real anti-EV faction out there that disseminates, distorts anything remotely negative re: EVs (or just makes up outright lies).
I should clarify that I am not a lawyer either and edit my original post to include this. IP can get tricky especially with copyright/trademarks, but from my understanding, if you are posting something here in your own words, that is copyright protected. Now wether you want to enforce it or even have sustained enough in damages to pursue a case is another story.

I just want to educate others here as best as I can that this is a public forum and what you say may and can get taken and used anywhere is the vast space of the world wide web. A person on reddit for example can simply quote you in a discussion with no ill-intention. Blogs, news, and similar platforms that are using your content for monetization is another issue and you can certainly reach out to them and request your content be removed and they will very likely comply. Any reputable blogging/news site will most definitely ask for permission to use your content as they understand the laws and risks as well as protecting their reputation.

The mods and I have discussed this a bit. We are always wanting to explore options that the members of the forum here want. I will set up a private discussion "Lounge" for members here and another idea I had is to only allow "X" amount of posts required to be able to access this private section. This way, no one can simply just sign up and gain access to this Lounge. I will get this setup sometime today.

And in multiple group text feeds with my friends citing that article. Everyone so quick to point it out to me. I asked if they read the article or the source. “Nah. Says your car is a ‘big shiny brick’, bro!” 🤦🏻‍♂️ Haters gonna hate. Hope the car is good now, @Alex
I think this is a good lesson in giving media members permission to use your words. There are reputable journalists who tell an accurate story, and then there are vultures who will deliberate omit key pieces of information to make something sound far worse than it is. Sometimes they’re so sneaky they’ll tell a truthful story but make the headline super scary.

I think this is a good lesson in giving media members permission to use your words. There are reputable journalists who tell an accurate story, and then there are vultures who will deliberate omit key pieces of information to make something sound far worse than it is. Sometimes they’re so sneaky they’ll tell a truthful story but make the headline super scary.
It's the summary headline that annoyed me because it was made clear in the post that the car still worked and the summary stated it didn't. I've hade a number of so called "journalists" PM me in here and refuse to talk to them because I know they will twist the words. The company I work at has a solid rule that none of us are to speak to the media without a PR representative with us and this is the reason why, because what you say can be spun easily to suit the narrative they want to spin. So for me, I stay clear of talking to anyone in the media.

The mods and I have discussed this a bit. We are always wanting to explore options that the members of the forum here want. I will set up a private discussion "Lounge" for members here and another idea I had is to only allow "X" amount of posts required to be able to access this private section. This way, no one can simply just sign up and gain access to this Lounge. I will get this setup sometime today.
Will be interesting to see how this works as I know the guy for carscoops is a member of this site. Not sure how often he's posting but he still may have access to see the info in a members area.

Elon does not want Rawlinson to succeed. Thanks for the heads up in case mine cannot be unlocked. This does not present them in good light though.

Never talk to anyone from Seeking Alpha or Investor Place or Zacks or Motley Fool for sure

Elon does not want Rawlinson to succeed. Thanks for the heads up in case mine cannot be unlocked. This does not present them in good light though.

Never talk to anyone from Seeking Alpha or Investor Place or Zacks or Motley Fool for sure
A couple things here...1) of course Elon doesn't want Rawlinson to succeed. If I were Elon, I wouldn't want any competitor to succeed (especially one that used to work for me), so anything he says is not surprising and frankly not too different from how other businesses operate. The difference is that whenever he says something it makes big news, but I can't really be mad that he's not showering love on Lucid or Rivian. 2) I'd disagree with the Motley Fool piece. While they may not be the Wall Street Journal, they are a company that hires actual writers as opposed to the others. I worked there many years ago and would not lump them in with this.

Back