Carscoops Article

Bbq9

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT
Maybe you would like to have this instead:
View attachment 2758

I patiently waited 3 or 4 hours thinking it was still updating. It had gotten dark in the garage and I could finally see this message on the center panel.

The car was totally dead in that I could not unlock the doors with any method. The update progress said 0%. Luckily, I opened the rear trunk and crawled to the front and opened the front doors "mechanically." The rear doors would not open and I could see this as a problem if there were an accident.

I called customer care and they were not able to do anything. They reported this to the OTA team. After about an hour the car alarm was on and I was able to silence it using the key fob. The doors would unlock, but the error message still persisted. I was able to put it in drive and reverse in the garage, so it was probably drivable.

I got a call from customer care and they told me that the OTA team had uploaded another update. The CC person told me to disable WiFi before the update, since he was told that is the safest way to do it. I started the update from the car and in a few minutes it was at 14% after about 20 minutes it was at 24% and stayed there for another 40 minutes (1 hour total). The car again displayed the the above Software Failed message. Customer care called me back to check and I told them of the situation - which was the same as the first time. They put in a problem report and I should hear from someone tomorrow regarding a mobile tech coming out.

It was really hot here today(105º or so) and about as hot in the garage. The car fans are coming on/off, so I left the garage door open and that has helped. The car accessories are on, like interior lights and USB. Hopefully this does not run down the 12V battery – maybe the fans coming on is an indication that the DC to DC converter is kicking in and keeping the accessory battery charged.

The above is a condensed version of what happened. This all transpired in the course of about 7 hours with a lot of diagnosing with the CC person over the phone – including about a gallon of sweat in the hot garage.
you're famous @Alex

Does this PRIVATE forum not have a rule for taking a member’s posts and then publishing them as news online? Did everyone who was quoted or referred to give their express permission? I do NOT like the idea that anything I might say on here goes and gets turned into some “oh here’s something you might need to worry about with EVs” click bait. Just to pre-empt that, I’m saying here and now nobody on here has my permission to quote me outside of this forum.

Does this PRIVATE forum not have a rule for taking a member’s posts and then publishing them as news online? Did everyone who was quoted or referred to give their express permission? I do NOT like the idea that anything I might say on here goes and gets turned into some “oh here’s something you might need to worry about with EVs” click bait. Just to pre-empt that, I’m saying here and now nobody on here has my permission to quote me outside of this forum.
I agree. It’s ridiculous that he continues to take information off this site and post it as news on his own website. Given the internet is open to all I’m assuming anything posted on these forums is fair game. If quoted and the source is called out then I don’t think there is anything we can do. It’s just shady behavior in my opinion.

I always tell my kids anything they put on the internet is public. No difference here. Just because it only happened to one car, it still happened.

I’m very unhappy about that. It’s a betrayal of what we think is private conversation getting turned into “scoops”. I very much do not want to be part of this forum anymore if this is allowed or ever happens again.

Sadly, I’m not sure how they can prevent it..I totally agree - some bs having it done.

I agree. It’s ridiculous that he continues to take information off this site and post it as news on his own website. Given the internet is open to all I’m assuming anything posted on these forums is fair game. If quoted and the source is called out then I don’t think there is anything we can do. It’s just shady behavior in my opinion.
We can make private forums here that are password protected and thus not available to the public or for Google to index. It would not be ethcial to source content behind a login without permission. But if it's 100% open to Google or other search engines to index, then it is technically open to reporters to quote and cite.

There are a number of articles citing this that do not even link to the source in the forum. But quoting publicly accessible information on the web, has been going on since the internet was created.

We probably should make private, member only threads behind a login.

I’m very unhappy about that. It’s a betrayal of what we think is private conversation getting turned into “scoops”. I very much do not want to be part of this forum anymore if this is allowed or ever happens again.
Nothing posted on the internet is “private”.

I’m very unhappy about that. It’s a betrayal of what we think is private conversation getting turned into “scoops”. I very much do not want to be part of this forum anymore if this allowed or ever happens again.

While you have to be a member to post on this forum, it is set up intentionally so that non-members can read the posts. Therefore, anything we write is being put out in the public domain.

Nothing posted on the internet is “private”.
I wasn’t aware I was publicly posting on the internet when I joined this forum, is this pretty much Facebook, maybe let’s allow advertisers in also? We know how these sleazy writers will distort things to get clicks. Maybe we can invite Warren Redlich on here so he can make up some lies about Lucid and then our friend at CarScoops can go publish it, further damaging the brand. Is everyone ok with that? I think it’s shitty to go quoting this forum on an automotive site to stir up controversy.

While you have to be a member to post on this forum, it is set up intentionally so that non-members can read the posts. Therefore, anything we write is being put out in the public domain.
I didn’t know that, but now I do. I guess it was mere dumb luck that my accidental water leak that appears to not be the fault of the car didn’t end up on the fucking Wall Street Journal saying “three week old Lucid has interior ruined by rain storm from faulty design resulting in leak”. I appreciate good journalism but these click bait hunters make my skin crawl.

I wasn’t aware I was publicly posting on the internet when I joined this forum, is this pretty much Facebook, maybe let’s allow advertisers in also? We know how these sleazy writers will distort things to get clicks. Maybe we can invite Warren Redlich on here so he can make up some lies about Lucid and then our friend at CarScoops can go publish it, further damaging the brand. Is everyone ok with that? I think it’s shitty to go quoting this forum on an automotive site to stir up controversy.
This really is not unethical or anything new. It's been going on since the internet has been around.

We should make a login only visable area that you can only see when you are logged into your forum account. We can make rules that stuff there cannot be shared.

I personally don't want to share photos of my kids in the lucid air in this forum if it's open to anyone. But if it's behind a login, I'd share those photos.

I was asked if they could use my information and I consented, but I did add that my car is perfectly drivable despite the failed updates.

I was asked if they could use my information and I consented, but I did add that my car is perfectly drivable despite the failed updates.
I have nothing against any forum member giving their permission for what they wrote to be used in an article. That’s totally OK. I just don’t want myself quoted or taken out of context, because I’ve seen far too many times someone with good intentions talk to media and then their words get manipulated to spin the thing they like into something negative and alarming.

I have nothing against any forum member giving their permission for what they wrote to be used in an article. That’s totally OK. I just don’t want myself quoted or taken out of context, because I’ve seen far too many times someone with good intentions talk to media and then their words get manipulated to spin the thing they like into something negative and alarming.
Totally get that. I've been misquoted so many times, I cannot count it anymore. In fact, even in massive respected publications like WSJ, NY Times, etc.

To add to this: I went to the article and replied to some of the uninformed comments. I'll have to keep an eye on that. That's the part I hate the most about these articles is that the people commenting have not comprehended the article and try to push their agenda in the comments section. I'm waiting for the "it's <insert-famous-person> fault" comment.

I can understand your concerns, but these forums are a public user-generated platform that can be accessed by virtually anyone. You retain copyright over your content and can enforce it if you find another person/platform using it. We cannot enforce copyright belonging to someone else. Any respectable person or platform will more than likely contact you for permission to use your content if they are wanting to.

Edit: Clarifying that I am not a lawyer and cannot providing legal advice.

Back