CarPlay is here! - Megathread

I was waiting to see if CarPlay and AA will see the SoC of Lucid as a minimum and CarPlay for sure does not see it. So, the Nav from the Phone is no different. The only advantage is you have buttons on the Car Display to control the phone and hear the audio in the car. Personally, that is not much different from mounting the phone in the car as we like to and using bluetooth Audio. That said, I was hearing that Google had AA approved for Lucid long ago and Lucid was waiting to rollout AA and Carplay together. Well, that did not happen. I prefer Android just because I like the UI with 3 soft buttons Back, Home and see all open apps.
I really do wish they had incorporated AA at the same time. Seems strange that it would not be ready, given how long CarPlay approval took. Could be separate teams working on them, though.

I do have to disagree with this being no different from mounting your phone somewhere, though. The sound quality difference alone, let alone Siri integration in the steering wheel, seeing the map on the actual cockpit as opposed to having to look down, etc. It's a big deal.

My phone is always hidden away inside the center console when I am driving. And I very much want to keep it that way.

WHERE THE HECK IS IT?? I did the update and I’m not seeing CarPlay in the settings or as a button on the screen…

Let me clear up questions about CarPlay
1. How does it look? I think it looks beautiful, see the attached picture. I went to the CarPlay settings and turned the background to just black and it looks nice. It sits inside its own window and does not fill the entire screen, same as every CarPlay I've ever seen. When using navigation it only has info in its own window and does not have any other turn by turn in the main center dashboard or on the Pilot Panel. Some other cars do have this functionality, and I hope that can come in a future implementation. That said, I am not disappointed… We are off to a great start!
2. How do I turn it on? When you get a new car after an update, your iPhone ask you if you want to use CarPlay. Say yes. Then, go into the Bluetooth settings (pilot panel) and you will see a CarPlay icon next to the already set up phone. It will be dimmed out. Tap it and CarPlay will begin.
3. Is it wireless? It is both wired and wireless. I'm thrilled to say that the wireless implementation is extremely fast with zero lag.
4. When will I get it? Lucid rolls out updates to the fleet over a period of days. Please do not call customer service and try to get earlier in line. You will get it soon enough. I know everybody is excited, I don't blame you. It won't be long now.
5. Does it interact with the car such as state of charge or mileage remaining upon arrival? Currently, no. It does not interact with the car during navigation. If you want to see the display on the left that says miles remaining upon right arrival, use the Lucid UI.
7. How do I get back to the Lucid stuff? Tap the Lucid icon on the screen. See the picture attached.
8. Does it use my cell phone or the one built into the car? Like every CarPlay, it uses your own signal. This is actually really good for me. As you can see in the picture I have attached, I am only getting two bars from the built-in cell signal but I am getting full bars from Verizon in my area.
9. Do the steering wheel buttons work to go to the next song, etc.? Yes, they work as expected. If you press and hold the voice button for more than a second it will invoke Siri. Even easier, just say "hey Siri."

Attachments

• camphoto_1804928587.jpg
    camphoto_1804928587.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 207
  • camphoto_684387517.jpg
    camphoto_684387517.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 207
WHERE THE HECK IS IT?? I did the update and I’m not seeing CarPlay in the settings or as a button on the screen…
Your car needs to update. You will be notified when the update is available, probably within the next day or three.

Bobby,

I don't mean to be a Killjoy, and I am truly happy that everyone who has been waiting for CarPlay has had their dream come true, but is there any word for those waiting for Android Auto? I do not inhabit the Apple Universe.

Thank you for the info Bobby!

How about Atmos tracks?

When using navigation it only has info in its own window and does not have any other turn by turn in the main center dashboard or on the Pilot Panel

Disappointing as other makers have implemented turn by turn in other displays as Apple CarPlay has supported Dual Screen since iOS 13. Hopefully it will come with an update.

5. Does it interact with the car such as state of charge or mileage remaining upon arrival? Currently, no. It does not interact with the car during navigation. If you want to see the display on the left that says miles remaining upon right arrival, use the Lucid UI.
SOC is also available in CarPlay and Apple Maps so hopefully Lucid will add this in a future update.

Bobby,

I don't mean to be a Killjoy, and I am truly happy that everyone who has been waiting for CarPlay has had their dream come true, but is there any word for those waiting for Android Auto? I do not inhabit the Apple Universe.
I am told it is on its way as well. If you'd like, I can help you find the nearest Apple Store! 🤣

Thank you for the info Bobby!

How about Atmos tracks?

Disappointing as other makers have implemented turn by turn in other displays as Apple CarPlay has supported Dual Screen since iOS 13. Hopefully it will come with an update.

SOC is also available in CarPlay and Apple Maps so hopefully Lucid will add the in a future update.
Disappointed? It's only been out a couple hours. Let's enjoy it and I'm sure they will add features as time goes on. Lucid has been doing a fantastic job lately with software.

Disappointed? It's only been out a couple hours. Let's enjoy it and I'm sure they will add features as time goes on. Lucid has been doing a fantastic job lately with software.
Dual screen has been a feature since 2019 so yeah I'm disappointed especially considering how long it took to roll it out.

I am happy that it's out in general but basically for my own personal needs I would like ATMOS support (not sure if that is present) and to be able to use Apple Maps nav with SOC. EV routing has been in Maps and CarPlay since 2020. I don't want to bounce between Apple Maps and Lucid Nav to know when and where I need to stop to charge.

I do agree that LUCID has done an excellent job with updates so hopefully they will add these features in the future.

Looking forward to trying out Carplay once available via OTA. I think this question has been asked already , but does anyone know or see any barriers to playing Atmos music off Apple Music with wired or wireless CarPlay? I may go ahead and subscribe to Apple music to expand my library.

Also wondering if most individuals will go wired or wireless?

Looking forward to trying out Carplay once available via OTA. I think this question has been asked already , but does anyone know or see any barriers to playing Atmos music off Apple Music with wired or wireless CarPlay? I may go ahead and subscribe to Apple music to expand my library.

My guess is most will go wireless. The sound difference is minimal to anyone except those with really discerning ears.

I can easily hear the difference between streaming from my phone over Bluetooth and Tidal, for instance. But wired vs wireless CarPlay I’m hard pressed to hear much of a difference.

My guess is most will go wireless. The sound difference is minimal to anyone except those with really discerning ears.

I can easily hear the difference between streaming from my phone over Bluetooth and Tidal, for instance. But wired vs wireless CarPlay I’m hard pressed to hear much of a difference.

Thanks. Will probably try both ways to see if I can discern any difference.

I was waiting to see if CarPlay and AA will see the SoC of Lucid as a minimum and CarPlay for sure does not see it. So, the Nav from the Phone is no different. The only advantage is you have buttons on the Car Display to control the phone and hear the audio in the car. Personally, that is not much different from mounting the phone in the car as we like to and using bluetooth Audio. That said, I was hearing that Google had AA approved for Lucid long ago and Lucid was waiting to rollout AA and Carplay together. Well, that did not happen. I prefer Android just because I like the UI with 3 soft buttons Back, Home and see all open apps.
Harik
can you show me what device you chose to mount your phone

But wired vs wireless CarPlay I’m hard pressed to hear much of a difference.
Is there actually a difference ? CarPlay uses Wifi to transmit the data to the vehicle so I would assume that would allow the same bitrate as a wired connection.

I
Is there actually a difference ? CarPlay uses Wifi to transmit the data to the vehicle so I would assume that would allow the same bitrate as a wired connection

Yes. It’s not true “lossless” in wireless form. But it’s damn close. This was the major complaint when Apple released the AirPods Max, which also can’t do lossless unless you plug them in. But those headphones sound so good, I didn’t care.

Can I listen to lossless audio using CarPlay?​

You can listen to lossless audio with CarPlay using a USB connection. Streaming lossless audio in a car over a cellular network will consume significantly more data.

via https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212183

Wired only if you need to charge. Or charge it on the wireless charger. Wireless is very responsive in this implementation.

It is my understanding that when using it wired you can get slightly better music quality, but my old years don’t hear the difference. I think it sounds fantastic wireless. It’ll be up to you to try both and determine your favorite.

Pure EV companies:

Tesla Model-S —— debut June 22, 2012
Tesla CarPlay —— NONE, 3898 days and counting.

Rivian R1T —— debut Sep 14, 2021
Rivian CarPlay —— NONE, 536 day and counting

Polestar 2 —— debut Feb 27, 2019
Polestar CarPlay —— release OTA 2.2 on Jun 22, delivered after 754 days from debut

Lucid Air —— Nov 4, 2021
Lucid CarPlay —— released OTA Mar 23, 2023, delivered 504 days from debut.

Perspective…
Lucid WINNING!!!!!!!!!

Back