Car Software Update cadence

ColonelBadger

Cars
Air Touring
Very close to pulling the trigger on an Air Touring. Have been looking at the site OTA Updates to see how often and what features have been updated on the car. What are everyone's thoughts on the cadence of updates compared to their competition e.g Lucid, Rivian etc. My sense, from the outside looking in, is that they're not moving as fast as these two? For instance there's been no meaningful update to the car software wise since February.

Updates are slow right now. All signs point to major updates coming around the Gravity launch later this year, after which I'm expecting the pace to pick up as a bunch of tech debt should be kicked out of the way. I'm not expecting it to reach Tesla's or Rivian's level of regularity any time soon, given that Lucid's dev team is much smaller (for now). I am hoping that we'll see the known bugs and most requested features get knocked out much more quickly at that point.

Depends on what you define “meaningful” as …

People who has pet, comfort creature mode was released which is big update for them. People don’t have pet not so much ..

Having said that, Rivian has been releasing very frequent updates with some good features. However, Lucid is more focusing on Gravity right now

As a software engineering manager myself, I hope that the tech stack is the same for Gravity and Air and that they're not trying to bifurcate their dev team if ititss that small.

As a software engineering manager myself, I hope that the tech stack is the same for Gravity and Air and that they're not trying to bifurcate their dev team if ititss that small.
It's not the same. Gravity has a much more recent chip. Air should get as many features as the chip will allow from the Gravity but it's a different stack. This was a forward looking decision by LUCID to improve from the mistakes made with the Air.

Signs point to "yes."
It's not the same. Gravity has a much more recent chip. Air should get as many features as the chip will allow from the Gravity but it's a different stack. This was a forward looking decision by LUCID to improve from the mistakes made with the Air.
You can have an old laptop and a new laptop and run Windows on both of them. The chip is not the problem, I believe @ColonelBadger was just referring to the higher level software stack which should be unified (eventually) across all the cars to reduce software development overhead and give roughly the same UX.

Signs point to "yes."

You can have an old laptop and a new laptop and run Windows on both of them. The chip is not the problem, I believe @ColonelBadger was just referring to the higher level software stack which should be unified (eventually) across all the cars to reduce software development overhead and give roughly the same UX.
Do note that some features may not be possible though, such as that whole screen "relaxation mode" (I forgot the name of it), etc. My understanding was that the fundamentals would be transferred but some features would be exclusive to Gravity, no?

Signs point to "yes."

Correct. I'm hoping the OS and UI on top are agnostic to the hardware below and one team are building a holistic experience for both vehicles. Otherwise things are just going to go slower on both.

Very close to pulling the trigger on an Air Touring. Have been looking at the site OTA Updates to see how often and what features have been updated on the car. What are everyone's thoughts on the cadence of updates compared to their competition e.g Lucid, Rivian etc. My sense, from the outside looking in, is that they're not moving as fast as these two? For instance there's been no meaningful update to the car software wise since February.
My advice... The bottom line is to buy the car if you are happy with it as it is, but don't if there are missing updates and/or enhancements that you will be frustrated to live without for quite some time. We can only speculate on what tomorrow will bring, as Lucid's communications on such matters are nonexistent. Major improvements could hit today, but they could also be months away. The good news for me, and I believe for the vast majority of owners, is that they think the car is great, as is.

My advice... The bottom line is to buy the car if you are happy with it as it is, but don't if there are missing updates and/or enhancements that you will be frustrated to live without for quite some time. We can only speculate on what tomorrow will bring, as Lucid's communications on such matters are nonexistent. Major improvements could hit today, but they could also be months away. The good news for me, and I believe for the vast majority of owners, is that they think the car is great, as is.

Completely agree. I'm just a tech guy and one of the things that attracts me to cars like the Lucid, Rivian etc. is upgrade ethos.

Completely agree. I'm just a tech guy and one of the things that attracts me to cars like the Lucid, Rivian etc. is upgrade ethos.
I'm a sorta tech guy, and I completely agree with you. I used to really enjoy waking up to an update alert, and then discovering what new fix and/or whiz-bang feature was going to 'wow' me. Fond memories!

Lucid decided to go a different route with the hardware on Gravity, despite it being only their second vehicle. This is not "normal" in the auto industry. But it was the right move. The Air was Lucid's first car, and while they nailed the engineering on all the car bits, the computer systems were not exactly ideally situated. This leads to limitations with the Air's software that I'm sure Lucid wants to get past as soon as possible. Thus, Gravity getting not only a much more powerful new chip, but a new computer system design overall.

What that means for the software stack is anyone's guess. But the slower update cadence on Air right now could be directly related to the fact they need to finish off Gravity's stack before launch later this year. Some of that work will likely trickle its way to Air, but there will almost certainly be some features in Gravity that will not be possible on the Air's "older" computer system.

How much they can still share is the open question. Hopefully more than I'm thinking.

If it were me, I'd be pushing management to get the updated physical system of Gravity into Air sometime in the next few years. Then they can have a true shared stack between the two cars. Car companies generally don't like upgrading entire systems that quickly on the production side, but in this case it may be worth it to get past the "old" architecture before they have hundreds of thousands of cars to maintain on the older platform.

Companies like Rivian and Tesla put almost the exact same computer systems in every car. This is ideal for software development, as you just throw in a few flags for the small features that are unique to a particular model, and you're done. (Oversimplified, I know.) These companies also have much larger software teams than Lucid. As a result, they have a much quicker pace in their updates. But at the expense of cars like the R3 coming in a few years that will effectively have a computer system that is more than five years old at launch. Maybe the average person doesn't notice this. And maybe their initial design was "good enough" where this won't matter.

I don't think Air's computer system is good enough to have made this a smart choice. I think it's great Lucid recognized this and is doing the hard work in the short term to make Gravity a better car at launch.

Personally, I like Lucid's philosophy of "don't just do the cheap and easy thing". It differentiates them as a brand. They could easily have slapped different body panels, propped up the seats, and shipped Gravity as a tall Air with the same computer flaws and driving dynamics compromises others would have. But they didn't. Maybe that will cost them money short term, but it wins them customers like me, for sure.

Lucid decided to go a different route with the hardware on Gravity, despite it being only their second vehicle. This is not "normal" in the auto industry. But it was the right move. The Air was Lucid's first car, and while they nailed the engineering on all the car bits, the computer systems were not exactly ideally situated. This leads to limitations with the Air's software that I'm sure Lucid wants to get past as soon as possible. Thus, Gravity getting not only a much more powerful new chip, but a new computer system design overall.

What that means for the software stack is anyone's guess. But the slower update cadence on Air right now could be directly related to the fact they need to finish off Gravity's stack before launch later this year. Some of that work will likely trickle its way to Air, but there will almost certainly be some features in Gravity that will not be possible on the Air's "older" computer system.

How much they can still share is the open question. Hopefully more than I'm thinking.

If it were me, I'd be pushing management to get the updated physical system of Gravity into Air sometime in the next few years. Then they can have a true shared stack between the two cars. Car companies generally don't like upgrading entire systems that quickly on the production side, but in this case it may be worth it to get past the "old" architecture before they have hundreds of thousands of cars to maintain on the older platform.

Companies like Rivian and Tesla put almost the exact same computer systems in every car. This is ideal for software development, as you just throw in a few flags for the small features that are unique to a particular model, and you're done. (Oversimplified, I know.) These companies also have much larger software teams than Lucid. As a result, they have a much quicker pace in their updates. But at the expense of cars like the R3 coming in a few years that will effectively have a computer system that is more than five years old at launch. Maybe the average person doesn't notice this. And maybe their initial design was "good enough" where this won't matter.

I don't think Air's computer system is good enough to have made this a smart choice. I think it's great Lucid recognized this and is doing the hard work in the short term to make Gravity a better car at launch.

Personally, I like Lucid's philosophy of "don't just do the cheap and easy thing". It differentiates them as a brand. They could easily have slapped different body panels, propped up the seats, and shipped Gravity as a tall Air with the same computer flaws and driving dynamics compromises others would have. But they didn't. Maybe that will cost them money short term, but it wins them customers like me, for sure.

I get it, but it's tough for those that have the Air now. I does give me pause getting one. Or maybe I just get a shorter lease. Fingers crossed they still have a nice roadmap for the air and the hardware in the Air doesn't make them "abandon" it.

I get it, but it's tough for those that have the Air now. I does give me pause getting one. Or maybe I just get a shorter lease. Fingers crossed they still have a nice roadmap for the air and the hardware in the Air doesn't make them "abandon" it.
If it was me, i'd wait for the Gravity given its coming out this year and we all know the computer systems in it are way better than what is in the Air. Given Lucid's lack of communication to what enhancements the Air will receive in the coming months etc. I wouldn't hold my breath that the Air will see significant changes. The Air appears to be less of a priority now for Lucid, it's all about the Gravity. As many have noted here, it appears the majority, if not all the software development resources have moved away from the Air and onto Gravity.

If you really can't wait and want to get into the Air then invest as little as possible with a lease like you mentioned. The software is stable at least, just don't expect any major changes.

I wouldn’t bank on this, of course, but I can tell you that every one of the Lucid execs I’ve spoken to have made it a *real point* to reiterate over and over again that this is something they’re worried about and really care about not making Air owners feel “left behind.”

Given Lucid's lack of communication to what enhancements the Air will receive in the coming months etc. I wouldn't hold my breath that the Air will see significant changes. The Air appears to be less of a priority now for Lucid, it's all about the Gravity.
I hear you. The above applies to this too - while I agree their focus *right now* is Gravity, it is my understanding that they are really thinking about how not to have the Air become a second-class citizen.

It’s just hearsay, not a printable quote, but that it exists at all is better than nothing imho.

Only time will tell.

I have to agree with this. I would be hesitant to purchase an Air at this stage until I was reassured that I would not be buying a car that will have obsolete software in 8 months. However, if Lucid communicated something to the effect that current Airs will receive a software version 3.0 that is as close as possible to what the Gravity will get, then I would not have any reservations. In the absence of this info, I might do a short lease and then make a purchase once software has been sorted.

I have to agree with this. I would be hesitant to purchase an Air at this stage until I was reassured that I would not be buying a car that will have obsolete software in 8 months. However, if Lucid communicated something to the effect that current Airs will receive a software version 3.0 that is as close as possible to what the Gravity will get, then I would not have any reservations. In the absence of this info, I might do a short lease and then make a purchase once software has been sorted.
Why would their current only revenue-generating car be abandoned? That would only happen if the PIF fund pulled all the $$ and walked away.

To me, it's odd how a simple statement of intent from Lucid could end this relatively long-standing debate, and yet here we sit. They wouldn't have to promise us the moon. I get that something as challenging as Dream Drive Pro might never be able to reach the bar they initially set, but they could at least give us an idea of what to expect on the more basic stuff...

Why would their current only revenue-generating car be abandoned? That would only happen if the PIF fund pulled all the $$ and walked away.
My personal concern is that the current platform will be deprioritized rather than abandoned. While I’m relatively happy with the stability of the current software (CarPlay being the exception), there are still several DD Pro features that were initially promised that I would like to see come into fruition. “Future ready” was an early promise and I want to make sure that the current line up is getting the same features (as close as possible) as Gravity and later Airs. Rivian and Tesla have been able to ensure that later models don’t make earlier model software obsolete and I would want to know that Lucid has the same intention prior to making a purchase. Otherwise, I would lease and make a purchase after this has been sorted. I don’t expect Lucid to make any announcements on this topic, so we will probably find out when Gravity launches.

The best comment that makes the most sense.

Back