Car Software Update cadence

I own both a Lucid and a Rivian. I have also been one of the more vocal members on the forum who believes just adding a pet comfort mode was not a meaningful release. Other than that, we are coming up on 3 MONTHS since the last feature update. Compared to the Rivian which gives updates that are packed with useful new additions every single month, it truly is laughable.

The way I see it is this. If you want an amazing vehicle with the best hardware but poor software support and communication, Lucid is your choice. If you want a very fun to drive and functional 7 seater SUV that has amazing updates from a company that actually communicates with their owners, get the Rivian. Wassym Bensaid (VP of Software Engineering at Rivian) regularly responds on the Rivian subreddit and holds Q&As.

I still want to keep my Lucid. I guess I just have more expectations from a $100k vehicle than others.
I don’t see why people are obsessed with “updates”….as long as the car functions the way it is supposed to, and they release security updates, what else do you need? Agree, there are glitches and these need fixing. This talk that “ Rivian released updates so Lucid needs to “ does not make sense to me. Can someone please explain, maybe I’m missing something.

My understanding from perusing the forums was that the uniocking issues were mainly related to the fob battery or the Mobile app on Android. iOS seems ok?
Other way around actually - Android mobile key generally works great for most people (statistically, even based on users in this forum), but iOS suffered until the most recent app update for some users; it worked, but was unpredictable.

The Android issues definitely exist, but are generally due to people not realizing their app is getting killed.

The fob battery dying sucks, yeah, but it really does last a reasonable amount of time if you remove any bitterant coating. That said, I don’t use it, and only use mobile key lol

Other way around actually - Android mobile key generally works great for most people (statistically, even based on users in this forum), but iOS suffered until the most recent app update for some users; it worked, but was unpredictable.

The Android issues definitely exist, but are generally due to people not realizing their app is getting killed.

The fob battery dying sucks, yeah, but it really does last a reasonable amount of time if you remove any bitterant coating. That said, I don’t use it, and only use mobile key lol
With all due respect I do believe there were a lot of issues directly related to antenna issues on the car as well. I don’t know the breakdown but there are a lot of people in that camp as well.

With all due respect I do believe there were a lot of issues directly related to antenna issues on the car as well. I don’t know the breakdown but there are a lot of people in that camp as well.
That's true, there were some. But the number is quite small relative to the fob simply sucking. :)

The FOB is badly designed and has way too short battery life. I got 3 months of battery life while storing FOBs in Faraday pouches. My other vehicle flawlessly unlocks as I approach and FOB batteries last 4 or more years.

I Compared to the Rivian which gives updates that are packed with useful new additions every single month, it truly is laughable.
There may be many new additions but the lack of CarPlay takes the Rivian off my shopping list.

...My other vehicle flawlessly unlocks as I approach and FOB batteries last 4 or more years.
Our Volvo fob battery lasts about a year.

There may be many new additions but the lack of CarPlay takes the Rivian off my shopping list.
Similarly, the Air's buyer demographic includes relatively few Android phone users. The primary reason I'm looking at alternatives to Gravity is lack of Google Maps.

Similarly, the Air's buyer demographic includes relatively few Android phone users. The primary reason I'm looking at alternatives to Gravity is lack of Google Maps.
One could argue that people who like dealing with a little technical complexity enjoy that aspect of both the Air and the Android phones. I find that many people with Android phones actually take the time to learn their technology, and use them quite effectively, while many iPhone users never wrap their heads around even their more basic technology. Both sides of that coin also seem to be the case with the Lucid Air, but I think the majority of Lucid Owners really like delving into the details. Perhaps Lucid should consider whether a decision to isolate Android users should be based on more than just market share.

One could argue that people who like dealing with a little technical complexity enjoy that aspect of both the Air and the Android phones. I find that many people with Android phones actually take the time to learn their technology, and use them quite effectively, while many iPhone users never wrap their heads around even their more basic technology. Both sides of that coin also seem to be the case with the Lucid Air, but I think the majority of Lucid Owners really like delving into the details. Perhaps Lucid should consider whether a decision to isolate Android users should be based on more than just market share.
If you are struggling, why would you spend more money now on a minor demographic? Why not wait till you are more established and then spend the money to include android auto. You need more bang for the buck. Maybe that’s why Lucid keeps pushing android back.

If you are struggling, why would you spend more money now on a minor demographic? Why not wait till you are more established and then spend the money to include android auto. You need more bang for the buck. Maybe that’s why Lucid keeps pushing android back.
First off, if Lucid were struggling so much that re-releasing Android Auto functionality was an issue of anywhere near that magnitude, then we are doomed. Second, just how 'minor' is the demographic? "As of early 2024, Android has a 70.69% market share worldwide. In the US, iPhones hold a market share of 60.77%. More than 1 billion iPhones and over 3 billion Android devices are currently active. Android smartphones accounted for 56% of all smartphone sales worldwide in Q4 2023." Doesn't sound too minor to me.

First off, if Lucid were struggling so much that re-releasing Android Auto functionality was an issue of anywhere near that magnitude, then we are doomed. Second, just how 'minor' is the demographic? "As of early 2024, Android has a 70.69% market share worldwide. In the US, iPhones hold a market share of 60.77%. More than 1 billion iPhones and over 3 billion Android devices are currently active. Android smartphones accounted for 56% of all smartphone sales worldwide in Q4 2023." Doesn't sound too minor to me.
I think the "minor" demographic he is referring to is the percentage of Lucid owners with iPhones, which is admittedly way higher (check @Bobby 's poll for more info on this). Secondly, that worldwide market share is skewed by many nations who cannot afford/would rather not spend that much on an iPhone. An example is India (of which I am a native, so I am reasonably well versed on this), which has a far higher rate of Android vs iPhone mainly due to price (95 vs 4 percent..).

I still think AA is a necessary feature. Rumors are that it will arrive on Gravity, so here's hoping...

I... have not had this same experience.

I think the "minor" demographic he is referring to is the percentage of Lucid owners with iPhones, which is admittedly way higher (check @Bobby 's poll for more info on this). Secondly, that worldwide market share is skewed by many nations who cannot afford/would rather not spend that much on an iPhone. An example is India (of which I am a native, so I am reasonably well versed on this), which has a far higher rate of Android vs iPhone mainly due to price (95 vs 4 percent..).

I still think AA is a necessary feature. Rumors are that it will arrive on Gravity, so here's hoping...
That was one of the finer "Android users can't afford iPhones" burns I've heard in a while! 😂

Let's not start this pissing contest again. It's been hashed out in previous threads with data and charts to back up whatever.

Yes, this is what I meant. Higher income demographic seem to favor iPhones .

Blah blah blah stats about usage rates, income and demographics. It was advertised as being supported, therefore it should be supported.

Improvements to DD Pro also should come down the line.

The AA device in the other thread is good enough to shut me up for now. Some official word from Lucid would be nice though.

The 3rd party solution isn't as convenient because the other driver of my car has an iPhone so we constantly have to plug and unplug the device.

Dog mode, dashcam and Netflix? I didn't and don't expect those, but I'm thankful if they come.

Let's not start this pissing contest again. It's been hashed out in previous threads with data and charts to back up whatever.
Agree. Please keep this thread on topic. Any iPhone versus Android phone posts will be deleted.

Back