California passing law to ban Tesla from calling its autopilot "Full Self Driving"

Volund

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring

It's about time, I always hated this name because it confused everyone I knew. And the general public who doesn't have a Tesla or know anything about it just assumed they had full autonomy.

From the very beginning I had problems with Tesla calling it “Autopilot”. I still have problems with them calling it that. Because it’s not.

Mass marketing hype!

“Honey, let’s buy get out of here(dealership) and order a fully self driving car online.”

“Excuse me?! Don’t mean to eavesdrop, there isn’t a car that can really self drive yet.”

——————————-

If Lucid takes more than another 12 months to deliver AppleCarPlay and AndroidAuto, it may be falling in the same line questionable misleading concern by its owners —— “What is CarPlay-Compatible and AndroidAuto Compatible?” I have no doubt Lucid will bake them and take time as it took Polestars 2 years to put in AppleCarPlay on Android platform car. So I want from Christmas in this forum to stop hearing owners nagging about it. 🤣

Mass marketing hype!

“Honey, let’s buy get out of here(dealership) and order a fully self driving car online.”

“Excuse me?! Don’t mean to eavesdrop, there isn’t a car that can really self drive yet.”

——————————-

If Lucid takes more than another 12 months to deliver AppleCarPlay and AndroidAuto, it may be falling in the same line questionable misleading concern by its owners —— “What is CarPlay-Compatible and AndroidAuto Compatible?” I have no doubt Lucid will bake them and take time as it took Polestars 2 years to put in AppleCarPlay on Android platform car. So I want from Christmas in this forum to stop hearing owners nagging about it. 🤣
Jeez, I forgot that Santa didn’t bring CarPlay until I read this post. 😂

Ok, no more CarPlay talk starting……now

It's about time, I always hated this name because it confused everyone I knew. And the general public who doesn't have a Tesla or know anything about it just assumed they had full autonomy.
When will the refunds start for those that bought into the false promises? Luckily I bought FSD when they had the brief $2000 sale, but in the end FSD has yet to deliver. On VERY GOOD surface streets, FSD Beta is scary and not useable

To be fair, this is the same state that puts a Prop 65 cancer risk warning on anything (Disneyland lol) and everything, “just in case.”

When will the refunds start for those that bought into the false promises? Luckily I bought FSD when they had the brief $2000 sale, but in the end FSD has yet to deliver. On VERY GOOD surface streets, FSD Beta is scary and not useable

I've still not gotten the deposit refund I requested months ago for the Starlink satellite system that was promised for our locale but never arrived after Musk changed the rollout strategy to focus on commercial customers, despite months of teasing consumers.

Not since my Comcast days have I seen companies so in need of government regulation as Musk's enterprises . . . and so determined to fight it with ideological bluster.

To be fair, this is the same state that puts a Prop 65 cancer risk warning on anything (Disneyland lol) and everything, “just in case.”
Okay, I agree, but doing one wrong thing doesn’t make you wrong every time.

It isn’t “full self driving” and never has been, and that name is misleading and has caused people to literally die from trusting it too much. I’m okay forcing them to be more honest with their advertising. 🤷‍♂️

From the very beginning I had problems with Tesla calling it “Autopilot”. I still have problems with them calling it that. Because it’s not.
I think autopilot sounds better than "fully self driving"
It's like a sentence of statement rather than just a name for a system lol, super misleading

The prefix auto is an abbreviation of automatic/automation, so I personally believe its just as misleading as Full Self Driving. Volvo calls its L2 system Pilot Assist, Mercedes calls it L2 system Driving Assistance, Lucid calls its L2 driving system Highway Assist. Lucid's version of level 3 autonomy is Highway Pilot, and Mercedes calls theirs Drive Pilot. Autopilot is a level 2 system so naming it both "autonomous" and "pilot" rather than something like "assistpilot" is just as misleading, since the system isn't "auto" its assisting the driver.

The prefix auto is an abbreviation of automatic/automation, so I personally believe its just as misleading as Full Self Driving. Volvo calls its L2 system Pilot Assist, Mercedes calls it L2 system Driving Assistance, Lucid calls its L2 driving system Highway Assist. Lucid's version of level 3 autonomy is Highway Pilot, and Mercedes calls theirs Drive Pilot. Autopilot is a level 2 system so naming it both "autonomous" and "pilot" rather than something like "assistpilot" is just as misleading, since the system isn't "auto" its assisting the driver.

And that’s another thing I want to get off my chest - why are these driver assist functions called a “pilot-anything”? Because again, they’re not. Drivers and driving are for cars and trucks. Pilots are for boats and planes.

I find all these allusions to aviation, littering the automotive world, just a wee bit irksome. Just a wee.

And that’s another thing I want to get off my chest - why are these driver assist functions called a “pilot-anything”? Because again, they’re not. Drivers and driving are for cars and trucks. Pilots are for boats and planes.

I find all these allusions to aviation, littering the automotive world, just a wee bit irksome. Just a wee.

I had to laugh at this, as I, too, sometimes get exercised about cross-use of terminology. In fairness, though, there is a long heritage of terminology interchange of among different forms of transport.

We all talk of "horsepower" in cars, boats, and prop planes, although horses have nothing to do with their propulsion.

Cars still have "dashboards", a carryover term from wagons and buggies, although they no longer serve the original function of keeping mud from splattering you.

A "steersman" is someone who steers a ship or a boat, although most people refer to a boat's steering device as a "helm" (or, less frequently, a "boat wheel") while associating a "steering wheel" with a car.

Since I was a child I've heard people ask "who wants to take the helm" when trying to decide who's going to drive.

The automotive press has for decades written about how a car "launches", although the term originally was used for nautical undertakings, not with the wagons, carts, and buggies that preceded automobiles.

Especially with high-powered EVs such as Lucids and Teslas, the spin-up whine of the electric motors coupled with acceleration that presses you into the seat back is inevitably going to invite comparisons to taking flight. It's not just a cynical marketing tactic. I've had quite a few passengers in the Lucid spontaneously compare the experience to being in an airplane, especially when I'm "launching" hard.

It's about time, this should have happened in 2014-2016 with Autopilot. FSD should have immediately followed.

Elon has thus censor himself for marketing exaggerating. Even at Tesla Semi Day, he wouldn’t even announce CyberTruck can use Mega-charging first hand. He usually likes to take all the credits. He knows he is under microscope on ridiculous hype that he couldn’t really deliver.

Elon is just over-leveraged and spreading too thin on his Tesla printing machine, he really needs another mass adoption product to save Tesla after Model Y. His fan base are pissed off he spent too much time at night tweeting than push other promised products instead of going off tangent with personal social media endeavor and making robots.

I had to laugh at this, as I, too, sometimes get exercised about cross-use of terminology. In fairness, though, there is a long heritage of terminology interchange of among different forms of transport.

We all talk of "horsepower" in cars, boats, and prop planes, although horses have nothing to do with their propulsion.

Cars still have "dashboards", a carryover term from wagons and buggies, although they no longer serve the original function of keeping mud from splattering you.

A "steersman" is someone who steers a ship or a boat, although most people refer to a boat's steering device as a "helm" (or, less frequently, a "boat wheel") while associating a "steering wheel" with a car.

Since I was a child I've heard people ask "who wants to take the helm" when trying to decide who's going to drive.

The automotive press has for decades written about how a car "launches", although the term originally was used for nautical undertakings, not with the wagons, carts, and buggies that preceded automobiles.

Especially with high-powered EVs such as Lucids and Teslas, the spin-up whine of the electric motors coupled with acceleration that presses you into the seat back is inevitably going to invite comparisons to taking flight. It's not just a cynical marketing tactic. I've had quite a few passengers in the Lucid spontaneously compare the experience to being in an airplane, especially when I'm "launching" hard.
I keep referring to my car as a "spaceship." Because that's how it looks and feels to me. Or more accurately, like some early '60s ideal of what a spaceship would be. So the boating terminology feels right at home.

Back