Reboots and problems

What blows my mind is the Model 3 is HUGELY popular. Like I see one around here less than every 10 minutes.
It is the Toyota corolla or Honda civic of the evs. The cheapest tesla one can buy. That is why.

I can’t even find a windshield wiper button haha. The button I push in on the wiper stalk just either wipes once or cleans it, which makes sense, just still can’t figure out how to turn the damn things on. It’s ok cuz it’s not raining or snowing here, but just trying to be prepared. And yeah that autopilot screen is hilarious, it’s like the car is trying to keep you from looking out the windshield. Also since it’s a rental I wonder if I can’t customize it? It won’t allow me to open the glovebox either without a PIN. Must be the rental is locked out of certain features?

I like the wireless charging in the car and center console at least, it’s better than the Lucid, although that deep bin where you plug the USB cables in is silly cuz you can’t close it if you’re connected to anything with a USB plug. But the closing mechanism on it is nicely done. I just don’t get the design concept on this car, it’s both elegantly minimalistic and stupidly chaotic at the same time. WTF.
Push the button that wipes once, and then look on the middle screen; it pops up a little tiny menu on the bottom left that disappears quickly, lol

What blows my mind is the Model 3 is HUGELY popular. Like I see one around here less than every 10 minutes.
In my community, every other or every third house has a Tesla. Used to be about one in 4, but now you are almost in the minority if you don’t own a Tesla. You are certainly a minority if you don’t own at least one EV. That is what $6 gas will do.

Here too (Phoenix) but after having this rental I truly do not understand because there is sooo much road noise. I cannot hear my 11 yo in the backseat when we are on the freeway (which is why I ultimately sold it)

My brother who has family of Tesla said I have car no one seen on the streets, Air and R1S. He recommended me not get any car in their first year, but I’m a serial risk taker. His neighbor street has 7 out of 10 houses with Tesla parked on driveway. When I go to his neighborhood street, my Air is like a parade car of light balls.
Around one per minute in the SF bay area. I saw three identical white Model 3's at the traffic light near my house a couple days ago.
Soon in the next 3 years we will see CyberTruck of same metal color everywhere.

Here’s a funny one. There’s been a bunch of complaints about the Lucid auto wipers. Well on the way home from work today in the Tesla 3 rental I was driving behind an ambulance. The wipers were set to auto and the flashing lights of the ambulance triggered the auto wipers and they wiped on high the entire time I was behind the ambulance.

Here’s a funny one. There’s been a bunch of complaints about the Lucid auto wipers. Well on the way home from work today in the Tesla 3 rental I was driving behind an ambulance. The wipers were set to auto and the flashing lights of the ambulance triggered the auto wipers and they wiped on high the entire time I was behind the ambulance.
This ought to be the best back-up plan for airway support.

My ambulance chasing wiper malfunction experience made me wonder what the Tesla does when it rains, do the lights start flashing and the wipers not move? My high beams were set to auto last night, which meant that they stayed on the entire time and blinded all oncoming cars, until I realized they weren’t working correctly and turned off the auto lights. Cuz Elon don’t give a f*#k bro.

My ambulance chasing wiper malfunction experience made me wonder what the Tesla does when it rains, do the lights start flashing and the wipers not move? My high beams were set to auto last night, which meant that they stayed on the entire time and blinded all oncoming cars, until I realized they weren’t working correctly and turned off the auto lights. Cuz Elon don’t give a f*#k bro.
I remember reading somewhere that the Tesla does indeed use the cameras to determine whether it is raining. It's not some sort of moisture sensor. So it doesn't surprise me that flashing lights might fool the system into thinking it was raining.

Vision-only indeed.

I rented a Plaid a couple of weeks ago for a weekend visit with family. First time with a Tesla. In agreement with others that it has some cool stuff and I really appreciated the easy / reliable charging network but the yoke was silly and the suspension unsatisfactory. Glad to have the AGT instead but wish I lived in a climate that would not render her a Garage Queen all winter.

A96C74CE-CCE4-4008-9CF5-42592297EA44.jpeg

I’m sure he told himself, he is not addicted to Twitter, he’s just working.

In my community, every other or every third house has a Tesla. Used to be about one in 4, but now you are almost in the minority if you don’t own a Tesla. You are certainly a minority if you don’t own at least one EV. That is what $6 gas will do.
Wow. Today I saw 4.48 to 4.78 gas in San Jose. I don't recall $6 recently. I saw 3.89 in Dec in Tracy CA. Where is it $6 now? That said the best value for the budget conscious is a Toyota or Hyundai hybrid and not even plugin hybrid. Every ev is beyond the reach of average consumer I think. Where I live is also affluent area and yes there are 6 evs in 12 houses on the street and non ev households have audi BMW Mercedes Lexus as one of the cars.

Last edited:
Wow. Today I saw 4.48 to 4.78 gas in San Jose. I don't recall $6 recently. I saw 3.89 in Dec in Tracy CA. Where is it $6 now?
Need another war to go back to $7. Then China will be laughing at USA, “who’s the EV daddy?!”

Wow. Today I saw 4.48 to 4.78 gas in San Jose. I don't recall $6 recently. I saw 3.89 in Dec in Tracy CA. Where is it $6 now? That said the best value for the budget conscious is a Toyota or Hyundai hybrid and not even plugin hybrid. Every ev is beyond the reach of average consumer I think. Where I live is also affluent area and yes there are 6 evs in 12 houses on the street and non ev households have audi BMW Mercedes Lexus as one of the cars.
Yup, winter blend. Gas $ is currently down, $4.64 In San Diego currently (and electricity $ is way up). It was $6.43 in CA mid-June last year and will be back there again when the summer blend returns. and every spike brings more EVs into the community :)

Marketing, marketing, marketing. There was a general consensus that Beta was way better than VHS...yet VHS won.
Ironically, Tesla famously does zero marketing. No ads. No PR department, even. It's just all Cult of Personality, buoyed by free press whenever he opens his mouth. And then word of mouth from owners.

Amazing, when you think about it.

Also, it doesn't hurt the Model 3 in many ways, as flawed as I found it, was still by far the best EV in its price class on the market when it was released. I got mine because there was simply no better non-ICE car available at the time. I like to bust their chops all the time, but simple things like having driver profiles, having your phone act as a key, remote climate controls, and the supercharging network really made the car seem completely futuristic compared to the competition. The issue is they were super forward thinking at the time, but haven't added much new since.

Ironically, Tesla famously does zero marketing. No ads. No PR department, even. It's just all Cult of Personality, buoyed by free press whenever he opens his mouth. And then word of mouth from owners.

Amazing, when you think about it.

Also, it doesn't hurt the Model 3 in many ways, as flawed as I found it, was still by far the best EV in its price class on the market when it was released. I got mine because there was simply no better non-ICE car available at the time. I like to bust their chops all the time, but simple things like having driver profiles, having your phone act as a key, remote climate controls, and the supercharging network really made the car seem completely futuristic compared to the competition. The issue is they were super forward thinking at the time, but haven't added much new since.
Yeah there’s some cool things about the 3, some things I like. While the HVAC interface is annoying the system itself works very well, although it’s concerning how loud it is outside the car. The car I have was built in December and it sounds like it’s broken. The multipurpose rollers on the steering wheel are also a clever idea, like the door open buttons, center console is useful, rear hatch has a lot of space. Decent torque/acceleration, the one pedal driving is almost as good as Lucid’s, and the car is fine if the road doesn’t have too many imperfections.

I’d say until the Ioniq5 came out the Model 3 had no competitor. The Leaf has bad range and is small, same goes for the Bolt and i3. I guess when your market is more tech oriented people who want “self driving technology” and don’t care about UI and aren’t car aficionados who care about handling/suspension/ride quality, the car definitely fits that demographic.

Marketing, marketing, marketing. There was a general consensus that Beta was way better than VHS...yet VHS won.
Tesla actually spent ZERO $ in TV commercials and social media platform unlike tradition automakers or Lucid did. It’s all just words of mouth, social media share, Twitter and Elon’s publicity stunts.

Yeah there’s some cool things about the 3, some things I like. While the HVAC interface is annoying the system itself works very well, although it’s concerning how loud it is outside the car. The car I have was built in December and it sounds like it’s broken. The multipurpose rollers on the steering wheel are also a clever idea, like the door open buttons, center console is useful, rear hatch has a lot of space. Decent torque/acceleration, the one pedal driving is almost as good as Lucid’s, and the car is fine if the road doesn’t have too many imperfections.

I’d say until the Ioniq5 came out the Model 3 had no competitor. The Leaf has bad range and is small, same goes for the Bolt and i3. I guess when your market is more tech oriented people who want “self driving technology” and don’t care about UI and aren’t car aficionados who care about handling/suspension/ride quality, the car definitely fits that demographic.

I would add to that the Ionic stablemate (EV6), the Mach-e and the Polestar. I don't consider the Genesis EV60 a competitor because it is a true luxury car and the Model 3 is not.

Back