California passes law to publish EV charger reliability

hellolucid

Verified Owner
Cars
GT
This is excellent news. Even though i have been to very few EA charging stations, i have see broken station on every visit. Now we just need plugshare or ABPP to consume this data once it becomes available.

Sponsored by FLO and ChargerHelp!, new law helps EV charging stations be more dependable for drivers

SACRAMENTO, CA, Sept. 19, 2022 /CNW Telbec/ - California Governor Gavin Newsom signed legislation into law to improve access to reliable EV chargers for California drivers. The EV Charging Reliability Transparency Act, sponsored by FLO and ChargerHelp!, will help policymakers and EV drivers understand the performance of California's EV infrastructure and highlight inequities in driver access to reliable stations.
"If we want consumers to buy EVs, they need to know they can depend on public charging stations. Unfortunately, this is an area of needed improvement for the industry as EVs become more mainstream," said Louis Tremblay, President and CEO of FLO. "Thanks to Governor Newsom and California lawmakers, the EV Charging Reliability Transparency Act will tackle this issue head on."

In a recent survey by Plug In America, over half of respondents cited issues accessing public charging infrastructure, with broken chargers cited as the most common issue. Additionally, the University of California, Berkeley found only 72.5% of fast chargers in the state's Bay Area were functional.

Authored by Assembly Majority Leader Eloise Reyes (D–San Bernardino) and Assembly Budget Committee Chair Phil Ting (D–San Francisco) the law requires the disclosure of reliability data for all publicly funded EV charging stations in California and encourages the state to set requirements to increase overall reliability throughout all communities.

"Today marks a huge step forward in California's transition to electrification of transportation. Thanks to this measure, EV drivers can rest assured that publicly funded charging stations are held to the highest level of reliability," said Kameale C. Terry, Co-Founder and CEO of ChargerHelp!. "All Californians deserve access to chargers that work."
story continues over here

A step forward for sure but a long way from disclosing reliability data to “highest level of reliability.” But I’ll be glad to be proven wrong.

Now if they fall under 90% reliability then they should be fined!

I really hope this does drive reliability ... charging infrastructure is still the main issue that worries me wrt leaving the Tesla ecosystem.

the law requires the disclosure of reliability data for all publicly funded EV charging stations in California

the law requires the disclosure of reliability data for all publicly funded EV charging stations in California
You don’t think EA is going to try and grab some of that cash?

Back