Best reactions to your Air

This morning, I drive up to Lucid Service Center to do minor stuffs. While talking on BT speaker with wife, a monkey butts BMW came approaching my rear end bumper, then it pulled to my right side. I assumed it is the new BMW iX. The guy rolled down his driver side window driving parallel side by side to me with his sunglasses on overcast day gave me a thumb up. He then pulled away in front of me.

I suppose that was gesture of a race? But I’m in no mood as talking wife on the phone and told her what has just happened. It was actually BMW M3, after it cut me front and I could see its tailpipes and emblem. “Your Lucy girlfriend is such attention whore!” said she.

We continued talking and then few minutes later, I saw that M3 was on the shoulder with police siren 🚨 light behind. “I said looks like Beamer is the bigger whole got raided off the street.”
C4718F38-856B-4A09-8B87-65D2F9003A7A.jpeg

As much as I'd love sentry mode, I don't really know what it would do for you; the police are not going to care to prosecute an offense like that in any metropolitan area, and so you'll have video of it happening that you can watch as many times as you'd like to make yourself as angry as you'd like, but it is unlikely to track down the perpetrator. 🤷‍♂️

That said, for some reason I want it too, so I guess it's human nature.

Busted on Sentry Cam and arrested!

Police is using car owners’ videos to solve serious crime.

I think it would be an interesting feature, but the only thing it would really be useful for is to help with an insurance claim. I can't see the point of making yourself angry at life.
The thing is, if you see someone vandalizing your car on video, what are you going to do about it? I ran into this a long, long time ago when I was buying a car stereo to replace one that had been stolen. One of them had a feature of notifying you if it was removed from the dashboard, which I thought was cool. Now I'm a small lady, 5'2" tall, never been in a fight. The salesman looked at me and asked me what I thought would happen if I went to the parking lot and confronted the thief while he was stealing it. Did I think a stereo was worth a thief hurting me or possibly worse? I thought about it and got the cheaper one without that feature. Now my 6'3" husband, who was much wilder in his youth, would definitely have had a different answer to that question.
Yeah, that's true.
But sentry mode can help police find the person who did it. I remember I watched a YouTube video that a Tesla owner used sentry mode to find the guy that keyed his car. He called police and then the police arrested that person. So, I think sentry mode and dash cam are very useful features, which I wish I could have them on my Lucid.

Yeah, that's true.
But sentry mode can help police find the person who did it. I remember I watched a YouTube video that a Tesla owner used sentry mode to find the guy that keyed his car. He called police and then the police arrested that person. So, I think sentry mode and dash cam are very useful features, which I wish I could have them on my Lucid.
I think it’s great for insurance claim, to have hard evidence to back up a claim. Insurance companies often brush off vandalism cases as scams.

This isn't an issue I've thought/cared much about (and certainly hope never to need). But what's the downside to building it in? No one is forcing you to watch the gory details...but if you choose to (and the perp turns out to be your daughter's BF)...you learned something...

This isn't an issue I've thought/cared much about (and certainly hope never to need). But what's the downside to building it in? No one is forcing you to watch the gory details...but if you choose to (and the perp turns out to be your daughter's BF)...you learned something...
Sounds like somebody had some experience with this.... lol

You’re right. There’s no real downside, and I do hope Lucid adds it eventually. I just would caution against thinking it will be helpful in any vandalism or accident situation. You may get lucky and end up with footage that helps, though, so why not have it?

I also think Sentry is at least a slight deterrent to casual vandals. In fact, we may be benefiting on our Lucids even without it, as some may assume any modern electric car has it.

If there was one downside I found with my Tesla when I had Sentry, it was battery drain. On a day-to-day basis, it was no big deal. But once when I left the car at the airport for ten days while vacationing in Hawaii, I had to turn Sentry off, because it was draining 10-15 miles a day off my battery. And at that rate, I would not have been able to get home after the trip.

So when I needed Sentry the most (busy parking lot with a known history of issues for several days), I couldn’t use it.

I had fun driving home on Wednesday. First someone followed me to the car as I was leaving work. He knew what a Lucid was and wanted to get a closer view. Then I had the couple in the Ioniq5 at the light both staring at my car as them made the left turn around me. The next stop was Vons to get some groceries. As I was getting out of the car, a lady was taking pictures of it. So we talked a bit. She wanted to know what it was like to drive it. She hadn't seen one in person before.

Driving home mid afternoon this week, I ended up having to take a different route through a residential area to avoid a traffic problem on a major highway. I was a bit peeved when I realized I was in a school zone while elementary kids were letting out. There was actually a police officer directing traffic rather than a crossing guard and he made a special effort to "stop" me so the kids could cross. I was amused as he just stood there with his hand in the air staring at my black Air Touring. I just smiled,... I then noticed the first group of 20 or so kids waiting to cross in front of me. Interestingly they all took their time crossing the intersection pointing and stopping in front of my car. The police officer had to keep them moving. Once he waved me on, I noticed he gave me a thumbs up as I passed!

Driving home mid afternoon this week, I ended up having to take a different route through a residential area to avoid a traffic problem on a major highway. I was a bit peeved when I realized I was in a school zone while elementary kids were letting out. There was actually a police officer directing traffic rather than a crossing guard and he made a special effort to "stop" me so the kids could cross. I was amused as he just stood there with his hand in the air staring at my black Air Touring. I just smiled,... I then noticed the first group of 20 or so kids waiting to cross in front of me. Interestingly they all took their time crossing the intersection pointing and stopping in front of my car. The police officer had to keep them moving. Once he waved me on, I noticed he gave me a thumbs up as I passed!
Well you do live in texas, so..
(just a joke)

I was leaving Steak 48 and valet had pulled the car up, as I was walking out I overheard a couple and the man said "I havent seen a Lucid in person..." I said "it's mine, want to take a look?"
He said he had put down a deposit but hadnt decided if he was going to get it. I told him that it was the nicest car I had ever driven and I loved it. He asked "even over Tesla" I said "Especially over Tesla!!"
He said he was going to go home and finalize his order :)

I was leaving Steak 48 and valet had pulled the car up, as I was walking out I overheard a couple and the man said "I havent seen a Lucid in person..." I said "it's mine, want to take a look?"
He said he had put down a deposit but hadnt decided if he was going to get it. I told him that it was the nicest car I had ever driven and I loved it. He asked "even over Tesla" I said "Especially over Tesla!!"
He said he was going to go home and finalize his order :)
Now this is the kind of reaction I admire.

I pull into a hotel valet spot to drop off my dad and niece, as there were no other close by spots and they were just going to get out and go on their way. Valet approaches, sees my dad getting out and says “Just dropping off? Damn, I was looking forward to driving that.”

Entering California with forced stop checkpoint for all cars & trucks (pretty rural area). Woman checkpoint agent says "What kind of car is that?". "It's a Lucid Air, a new car company and their first production model". She pulls down her sunglasses and her face is in awe. I open the door and say, "want to take a look inside?". She does and says it's beautiful and then realizes there's now a backup of several cars waiting for the checkpoint cause she's spending so much time peeking inside :)

Gave my high school daughter's friends a ride to their dinner. First was "Whoa!" as they got in. Next comment was after they saw the glass roof and cockpit, "This thing is a spaceship."

While waiting for my order at Jersey Mike's, an older gentleman comes up and asked me if my car was from the future.

I parked at Malibu Beach lot. Returning to my car, there were a bunch of high school aged kids posing and taking pictures with the car. As I approached the car and the car woke up, they got all embarrassed and I told them it was OK. Then, one boy said to me that he's never seen one in person but knows everything about the car. He knew mine was AGT with 21" tires and said you paid $xxx for this car. He was exactly right but I just chuckled instead of confirming :)

I pull into a hotel valet spot to drop off my dad and niece, as there were no other close by spots and they were just going to get out and go on their way. Valet approaches, sees my dad getting out and says “Just dropping off? Damn, I was looking forward to driving that.”
We went to a large dinner party at a hotel downtown tonight. We dropped the car off with the valet. I'm not sure where they park the cars dropped off with them, but our Air was moved to the front of the line and parked right next to the valet stand instead, where they kept an eye on it for us all evening. It was the only car parked on the street there.

Back