Best Practices in Charging and Efficiency

If you are connected to the grid panels are not allowed to send power out. Don't want any utility workers electrocuted. So sadly when we have power outages no solar power here either. We are tied to the grid and have no battery backup yet. Future project I hope.

The Lucid Home Charger is able to be placed on a 100amp circuit

If you are connected to the grid panels are not allowed to send power out. Don't want any utility workers electrocuted. So sadly when we have power outages no solar power here either. We are tied to the grid and have no battery backup yet. Future project I hope.

whoa 100amp thats pretty sweet. would also support my future rivian too. I saw on their website that the lucid charger is bidirectional does that mean that your lucid air can be used for V2H as a battery backup in case of a power outage?

whoa 100amp thats pretty sweet. would also support my future rivian too. I saw on their website that the lucid charger is bidirectional does that mean that your lucid air can be used for V2H as a battery backup in case of a power outage?
Not yet because of pesky regulations. And from what I understand even Ford's system isn't working yet because of regulations as well.

There is much disinformation on this topic.
If you drive minimally keeping the battery between 40-60% is easiest on the battery. 20-80% is frequently listed as it is more practical.
Personally I plug in at home below 50% and charge to 80%.
When going on a road trip I am not afraid to charge to 100%.
Faster charging is harder on the battery.
I usually charge to 80% at Level 3 chargers on the road unless I think I need more based on my charging plan for the road trip.
I like to have some reserve in case my planned charging station has issues.
Unless you are draining the battery very low and then DC fast charging above 80% frequently, I wouldn't worry about it.
If you want to maintain the 40%-60%, how do you manage that in the Lucid - I thought there were only two options, 20-80% or full?

Not yet because of pesky regulations. And from what I understand even Ford's system isn't working yet because of regulations as well.
I was wondering how they would work the auto-swich to take the home from grid to car and then switch it back when grid comes back online. My issue would be I already have an auto-switch with a natural gas generator; so, I'd have to figure out a way to manage a second auto-power transfer switch if I wanted to do V2H. Has anyone done that you know about? I know in theory I could put in a second transfer switch from the generator supply line to the vehicle supply line but that seems like a lot - maybe generac et al can make a single transfer switch that can priortize the next source of home electricity rather than having 2 tandem auto-switches. Thoughts on that?

If you want to maintain the 40%-60%, how do you manage that in the Lucid - I thought there were only two options, 20-80% or full?
You can set the maximum to any percentage you want. 80% is the default “daily” limit, 100% is the “distance” limit, but you could set it to 60 or 40.

There’s no way to set a minimum, it’s just when you decide to charge.

IMO it's not worth the trouble to worry about day to day. If you keep it in the 20-80% range, the battery should retain a large fraction of its capacity for 200k-400k miles.

I was wondering how they would work the auto-swich to take the home from grid to car and then switch it back when grid comes back online. My issue would be I already have an auto-switch with a natural gas generator; so, I'd have to figure out a way to manage a second auto-power transfer switch if I wanted to do V2H. Has anyone done that you know about? I know in theory I could put in a second transfer switch from the generator supply line to the vehicle supply line but that seems like a lot - maybe generac et al can make a single transfer switch that can priortize the next source of home electricity rather than having 2 tandem auto-switches. Thoughts on that?
My electrician suggested that the V2H would not work with an auto-switch like a home generator, but that it would have to be manually switched, i.e. cutting the power from the grid and switching to power from the Lucid. I am no electrician but that seems to make sense to me, and I have no problem with it as I would want to disconnect the breakers to my air-conditioners before taking power from the Lucid anyway.

Back