Best 3rd party charger for home installation

I have a Chargepoint Homeflex. It is great. The app works well and tracks your spend by just putting in your electricity provider. I also noticed that chargepoint has a bunch of free level 2 chargers around town. So now I plug in for free everytime I play soccer at the city park. Its like getting 50 free miles each time I play.
Also using a ChargePoint Homeflex for almost 2 years. No issues. Works great.

Agree with @borski . I prefer Wallbox. I had Chargepoint and kept having issues with it throwing red light fault which required it to be rebooted. Had it replaced and same issue. I replaced it with Wallbox and it has been working perfectly.

Agree with @borski . I prefer Wallbox. I had Chargepoint and kept having issues with it throwing red light fault which required it to be rebooted. Had it replaced and same issue. I replaced it with Wallbox and it has been working perfectly.
I had some of the red light issues with my ChargePoint but that went away after a Lucid software update many months ago. I could not tell you which update. But I suspect it was something that Lucid fixed in their software.

Agreed, dumped my Chargepoint long ago because of the fault. Went with the LCHCS and it's been smooth sailing since.

I have a Juicebox (40 Amp) and the Lucid charger (80 Amp). Both have worked flawlessly. Here’s the advantages of each:

Juicebox:
  • Easy WiFi setup
  • Statistics and history
  • Optional app with notifications for when charging starts, ends, faults, etc.
Lucid:
  • Faster

I also have a Juicebox 40amp and it's been fine. I did have trouble early on with scheduled charging (you need to turn off scheduling charging on the Juicebox and let the Lucid handle it) but the last few months have been rock solid.

I have a 48A OpenEVSE built from a kit because I'm a nerd. No issues so far though, and I like that individual pieces of it can be fixed/replaced. It has WiFi and a monitoring/configuration dashboard, and exports usage statistics to all sorts of energy monitoring systems.

ChargePoint here for 2 years and no issues. I like the integrated holder on the unit which some of the other units don’t have.

@Drcheema I have ChargePoint Home Flex hardwired at 60 AMPs, thats the max supported by charge point..has been working well for 10 months now. Charges my Air Touring at 53 miles/hour on an average.

FYI - in NJ you get $250 rebate from the utility for the HomeFlex, and upto 1500$ for the electrical work required for the 240v line.

ChargePoint here for 2 years and no issues. I like the integrated holder on the unit which some of the other units don’t have.
And it is a cool self-aligning holder.

ChargePoint Flex for about 5 years without an issue. Plugged into an 50 amp circuit and set to pull 40 amps, although the leaf can only take 28 or so. Easy install, can schedule start and stop, view charging info in the app, etc.

Also have a Lucid home charger. It’s only advantage is that it charges the Lucid faster.

ChargePoint Flex for about 5 years without an issue. ....Also have a Lucid home charger. It’s only advantage is that it charges the Lucid faster.
The Chargepoint does not come with a promise of future V2H operation. Lucid's charger comes with many promises.

The Chargepoint does not come with a promise of future V2H operation. Lucid's charger comes with many promises.
Yes. And the Tesla promised full self driving. Unfortunately, neither promise has materialized. Lucid also promised other functionalities so it would be like the ChargePoint. Unfortunately the only advantage on my Lucid home charger.TODAY, is that it charges the Lucid faster As an aside, I will never use the V2H when available as I have 3 powerwalls.

I live in an apartment building so the electrician is going to connect directly from my external meter, as he did for my neighbor.
I'm going to assume that you can't secure your charger seeing as it is outdoors. The Wallbox Plusar Plus allows you to lock it down with a PIN code so no one else can use it. It doesn't physically lock the connector, but can prevent anyone else from plugging in and charging on your dime. Also, another benefit is that the charger works with Wifi or BT, so if you can't get a wifi connection outside, you can connect to it using BT from your phone.

There is a NJ program that will provide a $250 incentive towards purchasing an EV charger: https://chargeup.njcleanenergy.com/ev-charger-incentive - there are a few chargers that are eligible. I went with the juicebox 40 as that's what was eligible last year. No issue with the juicebox.

PSEG has an upgrade program to allow up to $5000 to upgrade your service. To go from 150A to 200A service was $4995 so I got that for free - that's the (utility side make ready). They also provided a $1500 on bill credit to help with the install cost of my service panel. Here are the details:

There is also a federal rebate for installing an EV charger: https://www.enelxway.com/us/en/resources/blog/how-do-i-claim-ev-charger-tax-credit - which is up to $1000 for residence installation.

Good luck with the car. 11 months and almost 14k miles and loving it!

There is a NJ program that will provide a $250 incentive towards purchasing an EV charger: https://chargeup.njcleanenergy.com/ev-charger-incentive - there are a few chargers that are eligible. I went with the juicebox 40 as that's what was eligible last year. No issue with the juicebox.

PSEG has an upgrade program to allow up to $5000 to upgrade your service. To go from 150A to 200A service was $4995 so I got that for free - that's the (utility side make ready). They also provided a $1500 on bill credit to help with the install cost of my service panel. Here are the details:

There is also a federal rebate for installing an EV charger: https://www.enelxway.com/us/en/resources/blog/how-do-i-claim-ev-charger-tax-credit - which is up to $1000 for residence installation.

Good luck with the car. 11 months and almost 14k miles and loving it!
Beautiful thing about this forum is that it feels like a family, every one helps by going above and beyond. Thank you very much for the details, I'm aware of some of these rebates but not all. I really appreciate the help! I'm so happy to have joined you all in this Lucid family!!

I have a 48A OpenEVSE built from a kit because I'm a nerd. No issues so far though, and I like that individual pieces of it can be fixed/replaced. It has WiFi and a monitoring/configuration dashboard, and exports usage statistics to all sorts of energy monitoring systems.
I considered this! Decided this was one thing I just wanted to work lol.

I considered this! Decided this was one thing I just wanted to work lol.
To be honest, the kit has so few pieces it wasn't really much of a thing. Ikea furniture is harder to assemble than the OpenEVSE. Just a bit of screwing together following diagrams. No soldering involved or anything like that. My electrician hard wired in the 240V/60A cable and it just came on and started working.

So far, I’ve been pretty pleased with my Emporia charger. 48A if hardwired, WiFi connected, interfaces with optional kw use meters and has a 24” J1772 cable which works great reaching both my EVs from a slightly eccentric location. I’ve had no connection issues so far <knocking head>. And the best part…$399.

Although I do not have first hand experience, Grizzl-E chargers have a reputation for durability in outdoor installations. They are very basic and use an optional mechanical key lock to prevent "unauthorized" charging.

Back