Battery

Yeah 4.2 mi/kWh is great. I am on 21’s I know it makes a big difference on my range but I can’t pass 2.9 mi/kWh. Highway 80 cruise control, a/c level 1,2. Not sure what’s going on.
80 mph is your biggest enemy. Drop it to 70 and you’ll see a noticeable improvement. Not sure what other driving conditions you have, but going 80 exacts a big toll on your range. That problem is compounded on 21” vs 19” as rolling resistance increases with speed, you have more rolling resistance than I do.
When I drive on the highway I only exceed 75 in short spurts to pass folks, otherwise I cruise at about 70-72.

Is it possible that vehicle to vehicle variation in battery and drivetrain efficiency accounts for the wide range of mi/kwH that we're seeing? Lucid has been having challenges with build quality, so perhaps that has extended to efficiency?

Over 5000 miles of driving, my AGT is averaging 3.4 mi/kWH for a theoretical range of 380 miles on 19" wheels.

Is it possible that vehicle to vehicle variation in battery and drivetrain efficiency accounts for the wide range of mi/kwH that we're seeing? Lucid has been having challenges with build quality, so perhaps that has extended to efficiency?

Over 5000 miles of driving, my AGT is averaging 3.4 mi/kWH for a theoretical range of 380 miles on 19" wheels.

The question is whether your 5000 miles on driving duplicated, on average, the driving conditions programmed into the EPA testing cycle. There car be a very wide variance between any two drivers over 5000 miles of driving, and very few will get anywhere close to the driving conditions assumed by EPA testing.

I think people widely misunderstand the real utility of EPA ratings. They have never been good predictors of actual range that drivers will see in real-world conditions, whether with an ICE vehicle or an EV. Their real use is in comparing one vehicle's range to another when each vehicle is driving in identical conditions.

Thus, for example, while neither a Tesla nor a Lucid are likely to realize their EPA ratings in real-world driving, the EPA range does tell you that a Lucid Air will go significantly further on the same amount of electricity than a Tesla Model S (two cars of almost identical size and drag coefficient).

At the end of the day, every range test reported by reputable, independent journalists has shown that a Lucid Air will go significantly further on a full charge than any over EV on the market.

Yes, the Air's battery is a bit bigger than in most sedans . . . but when you're planning how to get to the next charging station, do you really care whether you have a 100- or a 112-kWh battery pack (especially if the 112-kWh pack can charge faster)?

80 mph is your biggest enemy. Drop it to 70 and you’ll see a noticeable improvement. Not sure what other driving conditions you have, but going 80 exacts a big toll on your range. That problem is compounded on 21” vs 19” as rolling resistance increases with speed, you have more rolling resistance than I do.
When I drive on the highway I only exceed 75 in short spurts to pass folks, otherwise I cruise at about 70-72.
This so much. On the exact same trip one direction I set the cruise to 80 and got 3.1 mi/kwh. The other direction I set it to 75 and got 3.4 mi/kwh.

The question is whether your 5000 miles on driving duplicated, on average, the driving conditions programmed into the EPA testing cycle. There car be a very wide variance between any two drivers over 5000 miles of driving, and very few will get anywhere close to the driving conditions assumed by EPA testing.

I think people widely misunderstand the real utility of EPA ratings. They have never been good predictors of actual range that drivers will see in real-world conditions, whether with an ICE vehicle or an EV. Their real use is in comparing one vehicle's range to another when each vehicle is driving in identical conditions.

Thus, for example, while neither a Tesla nor a Lucid are likely to realize their EPA ratings in real-world driving, the EPA range does tell you that a Lucid Air will go significantly further on the same amount of electricity than a Tesla Model S (two cars of almost identical size and drag coefficient).

At the end of the day, every range test reported by reputable, independent journalists has shown that a Lucid Air will go significantly further on a full charge than any over EV on the market.

Yes, the Air's battery is a bit bigger than in most sedans . . . but when you're planning how to get to the next charging station, do you really care whether you have a 100- or a 112-kWh battery pack (especially if the 112-kWh pack can charge faster)?

I'm generally driving long distances at 75 to 80 mph on rolling hills using adaptive cruise. But it feels like overall, the efficiency of my particular AGT is lower than others. Even then, range anxiety just isn't a thing with this car.

I am getting 4 to 4.2 miles/kW on trips, with 19” wheels, using ACC and traveling 70-80 mph. The lifetime average is 3.6 with 4500 miles on the odometer. The lifetime average has been creating upwards over time as it started out at only 3.0

This so much. On the exact same trip one direction I set the cruise to 80 and got 3.1 mi/kwh. The other direction I set it to 75 and got 3.4 mi/kwh.
I’m on 21s and yes, the speed is your main enemy. Efficiency drops *exponentially* with higher speed, not linearly, so 80-85 is a *significant* drop from 70.

I still drive there because I enjoy it, and around town I don’t need 451 miles, lol. But on road trips I cool it down to 70-75 if I want to make it a good distance.

I've been experimenting. On my last charge, when I unplugged the car, the display showed that I had 474 miles available (on 21's). I drove reasonably with a mix of highway and city driving. I drove it every day for five days without charging. On my last trip I made it home with 302 miles expended and 23 remaining. The car that I had before the Lucid was an EQS 580 that consistently got 360+ on a charge without much regard to how I drove it. The EPA says that car should get 340.

The difference in actual range on my car (324) versus the EPA rating (520) or even the starting mileage (474) is pretty significant. I understand the difference between 19's and 21's (my winter wheels are 19's and it will be interesting to see how they influence the mileage). What I am trying to find out is whether this is a problem with the car that I should investigate or consistent with what others are experiencing. I was at the service center inquiring about floor mats and I mentioned this to service. The tech told me that a starting mileage of 474 was "pretty good." He did not comment on my total mileage, and I didn't really press the issue. I figured if it was awful, he would have said something.

Any thoughts? I see some owners reporting mileage similar to mine, but I see some that are claiming better. Is there any place on the forums where someone is compiling real world results?

Thanks.

Just as a slight correction and maybe to adjust expectations, the GT with 21s is only rated at 469 miles of EPA.

This is a summary of a road trip that we made last week, the starting mileage was 980, we now have 2,130 miles on it and the Miles/KWh are improving as we drive further:
Kathleen loves the Swift mode for hills and winding roads….
There was a cancellation for the exact car that we had ordered and we were able to have the delivery at Costa Mesa one month ago yesterday.
Thank you for asking your management to extend the time to order at the original pricing by a day!
We’ve been enjoying our Lucid Air GT for one month and returned yesterday from a “shake-down” 1,200 mile drive to Lafayette, CA via I-5 and return driving 101.
We only stopped to Charge when it was convenient or when it seemed like a good idea: out bound, we charged up to 80% after an early morning drive up I-5 to avoid the LA traffic in Santa Clarita, just before driving over the Grape Vine to Los Banos where we again charged to 80% and drove the last leg through Tracy to Lafayette. We were able to get 4 miles/Kwh to Santa Clarita, had several legs at 3.8 miles/KWh and averaged 3.7 miles/KWh for the entire trip.
On the night just before we left we lost our cameras and got an error message about the brakes. The Customer Service representative, Dennis sorted both issues out and we left at 4am the next morning, issue free….Great Service.
We charged once while near Walnut Creek and in Paso Robles and Ventura on the way home as we drove down 101, stopped in San Luis Obispo for lunch at a favorite Italian Restaurant, Buona Tavola, overnighted in Ventura and arrived with 50% charge when we got home.
Both Kathleen and I completely enjoyed every mile of driving…comfortable, quite and without the fatigue from the sounds, vibration and strain that driving an ICE car leaves you with.
The seating, silence, suspension and performance without any sense of the car ever straining was a delightful contrast to previous trips that we’ve made.
Thank You for your efforts and we are looking forward to our next road trip to Santa Fe for a month at the end of October.
We’ve enjoyed sharing the bliss of driving this wonderfully designed car with many friends and family!
Everyone, at each point of contact with Lucid Motors has made this a memorable experience.
Please share our thanks with the delivery team at Costa Mesa!

I've been experimenting. On my last charge, when I unplugged the car, the display showed that I had 474 miles available (on 21's). I drove reasonably with a mix of highway and city driving. I drove it every day for five days without charging. On my last trip I made it home with 302 miles expended and 23 remaining. The car that I had before the Lucid was an EQS 580 that consistently got 360+ on a charge without much regard to how I drove it. The EPA says that car should get 340.

The difference in actual range on my car (324) versus the EPA rating (520) or even the starting mileage (474) is pretty significant. I understand the difference between 19's and 21's (my winter wheels are 19's and it will be interesting to see how they influence the mileage). What I am trying to find out is whether this is a problem with the car that I should investigate or consistent with what others are experiencing. I was at the service center inquiring about floor mats and I mentioned this to service. The tech told me that a starting mileage of 474 was "pretty good." He did not comment on my total mileage, and I didn't really press the issue. I figured if it was awful, he would have said something.

Any thoughts? I see some owners reporting mileage similar to mine, but I see some that are claiming better. Is there any place on the forums where someone is compiling real world results?

Thanks.
I don’t think anyone has compiled a spreadsheet on range by owners. There was a previous thread a while ago that did include a poll, though. I currently have over 3600 miles on my GT with 19 inch wheels. In my own personal experiment, the biggest factor on driving efficiency is driving style. I have averaged 3.7 m/kWh for the 3600 miles which is mixed city/highway driving. When I don’t care about conserving energy and drive aggressively my efficiency drops to around 2.5. If I drive conservatively for long stretches on highway, I will get over 4. The beautiful thing about this car is it’s got so much range, you can drive it anyway you like. If you drive it conservatively and still are getting low range, probably worth having Service take a look.

Buona Tavola is good. If you're ever in SLO for dinner, I highly recommend La Locanda, which is also downtown. The lasagna is amazing!
Thanks for the suggestion! We visit friends in SLO and a new to us restaurant is appreciated.

Yeah 4.2 mi/kWh is great. I am on 21’s I know it makes a big difference on my range but I can’t pass 2.9 mi/kWh. Highway 80 cruise control, a/c level 1,2. Not sure what’s going on.
I got my car to miraculously say 3.1 mi/kWh this last weekend because I was stuck in stop and go traffic driving from LA to SD, but typically I only ever see 2.7 mi/kWh. And I do have 21s as well….but I figured that I am always driving quite spiritedly and my ac is cranked on down to 61 degrees.

Back