Battery charging feature suggestions

Murcie

Verified Owner
Cars
Pure AWD, Model Y AWD
Referral Code
Z6C15AB2
I recently drove my Lucid Air from San Diego to Yosemite, and it was an amazing experience. The driving experience on the curvy mountain roads was VERY enjoyable, and the beauty of Yosemite + Lucid is just *chef kiss*. However, the road trip made me think of a few recommendations for future improvements related to the battery charging experience.

IMG_9691 Copy Copy Copy.jpeg

1. Enable users to precondition battery through the app. There was an EA station right next to our hotel, and it would’ve been much easier and time-saving to precondition the battery through the phone app. Maybe also send a notification to the user when the battery is done preconditioning and ready for fast charging.
  2. Remove the battery precondition (before you start) pop up that appears in the pilot panel screen. For the regular driver, these details are known and might be useful for their first precondition session (or as a reminder if it’s been a while since they preconditioned), but not every single time the driver wants to precondition the battery. It’s very easy to miss the (confirm) button in the pop up especially while driving. It has happened to me multiple times now, where I hit the precondition button when I’m 20 minutes away from an EA charger, only to arrive there and discover that it didn’t precondition because of this pop up. I'm aware that Lucid navigation is supposed to auto-precondition, but manually preconditioning is also very useful if I'm stopping at a station not suggested by Lucid Navigation along the way.
    IMG_0920.jpeg
  3. When using Lucid navigation, the battery status on arrival shown in the cockpit screen is always in miles, even if percentage is selected for the battery display settings, which is very confusing. Having consistent units makes more sense to the driver who is regularly taking a glance at the current battery percentage and comparing to the estimated arrival battery status.
    IMG_9385.jpeg

Last edited:
I have another question related to preconditioning:

I looks like preconditioning uses about 10 miles of range to get the battery to the "right" temperature.

Is it worthwhile to precondition if I am only stopping at a charging station to top off before a long trip?
Ex: Going to the station to go from 90% to 100%?

It seems like a waste to burn the precondition miles if I am only going to get 50/60Kw anyway even at a 350.

I looks like preconditioning uses about 10 miles of range to get the battery to the "right" temperature.

Is it worthwhile to precondition if I am only stopping at a charging station to top off before a long trip?

It seems like a waste to burn the precondition miles if I am only going to get 50/60Kw anyway even at a 350.
Going from 90 to 100%, I wouldn't bother preconditioning.
On some long road trips we leave the house at less than 100%, as it's faster to just run the car down to a low SOC by driving and fast charge just a couple minutes more at the charging stop.

Not worth it at that high of a SOC. But 'about 10 miles of range' is the wrong metric; that could be way higher or way lower depending on the weather, how long the car has been driven, etc.; I've seen it be both much more and much less, depending.

Not worth it at that high of a SOC. But 'about 10 miles of range' is the wrong metric; that could be way higher or way lower depending on the weather, how long the car has been driven, etc.; I've seen it be both much more and much less, depending.
Thanks for the guidance. No preconditioning at high SOC.

Do you know what temperature range that preconditioning is trying to get the battery to?

Ex: If I am driving along at 70deg F at 30% SOC do I need to precondition?

Or

It doesn't matter, just hit the button and let the car take care of it.

Thanks for the guidance. No preconditioning at high SOC.

Do you know what temperature range that preconditioning is trying to get the battery to?

Ex: If I am driving along at 70deg F at 30% SOC do I need to precondition?

Or

It doesn't matter, just hit the button and let the car take care of it.
Best battery temperature for fastest charge rate is in the mid 80 degree range. However, I do not know if Lucid targets little cooler to allow more headroom for the battery to heat up. We could use the Home Assistant during preconditioning to see what Lucid is targeting. Maybe I will try it this weekend.

Back