Average mi/kwh

This is the only time you will ever hear me say this: I wish the circle gauge was visible during ACC for this very reason. 😄
Yea there is a bar on the bottom which shows regen vs power but its kind of small

Other suggestion: Check your tire pressure before starting to drive for the day. It's important to check when the tire is cold since the pressure will increase as you drive and the tire warms. Even the morning sun shining on a tire raises its pressure slightly. Tire pressure has a huge impact on range (and traction, handling, and tire temperature).

Back when I used to aggressively hypermile a LEAF I would use pressures well above what was probably safe. That reduces traction and I do not recommend it, especially on our heavy cars, but being just 1-2psi low on one tire will have a measurable impact on efficiency.
I look forward to seeing the outcome of this test.

EDIT: I forgot to mention wind speed. Try to find the local wind speed and direction for the beginning and end of your ride. Driving 75mph into a 15mph breeze takes almost the same energy consumption as driving 90mph. That same breeze as a tailwind might make one think they are a master of hypermiling.... until they head back home in the opposite direction.
Really? The irony here is too painful to pass up---Lucid's value proposition is basically
1)Fabulous design (I agree)
2) Best in class range
3) Near best in class handling
4) Near best acceleration

But from all the talk here, in order to get within even 80% of #2, you have to give up #3 and #4---put it in cruise control a 69 mph and hope for the best?

The CEO says Lucid put an end to range anxiety---read this whole thread and see if you agree...(better if no A/C; better if ACC; better at the right outside temp; better if you don't drive aggressively(that's why I bought it); better at perfect tire pressure; better if you drive downhill...check the wind direction before you leave...?

This is the end of range anxiety?

I might still buy a Touring if, when my number is called, the software glitches seem under control --- but I will buy it only for reasons 1, 3 and 4 above, and not because I can rely on #2...right now the Lucid is a beautiful novelty ---for dependability I will park an ICE in the same garage.

Really? The irony here is too painful to pass up---Lucid's value proposition is basically
2) Best in class range

But from all the talk here, in order to get within even 80% of #2, you have to give up #3 and #4---put it in cruise control a 69 mph and hope for the best?

The CEO says Lucid put an end to range anxiety---read this whole thread and see if you agree...(better if no A/C; better if ACC; better at the right outside temp; better if you don't drive aggressively(that's why I bought it); better at perfect tire pressure; better if you drive downhill...check the wind direction before you leave...?

I might still buy a Touring if, when my number is called, the software glitches seem under control --- but I will buy it only for reasons 1, 3 and 4 above, and not because I can rely on #2...right now the Lucid is a beautiful novelty ---for dependability I will park an ICE in the same garage.
What kind of comment is this seriously? You sound like you expect Lucid to be able to defy the laws of physics. The appeal of the Air is that you can pick what you want from a car. There's no car that can do it all at the same time, but this car can do it all, you just have to choose what you want.

2) Best in class range

It’s still “best in class” range. Drive any other EV as you are describing, or any gas car, for that matter, and you’ll be making more stops to refuel. That’s unavoidable.

What kind of comment is this seriously? You sound like you expect Lucid to be able to defy the laws of physics. The appeal of the Air is that you can pick what you want from a car. There's no car that can do it all at the same time, but this car can do it all, you just have to choose what you want.
"Defy physics?" No--Lucid is defying their range promises --was 520 miles achieve in a down-hill vacuum at perfect temp?

"Defy physics?" No--Lucid is defying their range promises --was 520 miles achieve in a down-hill vacuum at perfect temp?
You either trust Lucid and Tom Moloughney and Edmunds in their testing or you don't. No one on these forums are going to bother trying to replicate the testing they did. Lucid says 520 miles. Tom got 500, Edmunds got 505. If getting to 96-97% of EPA is not good enough, then please point us in the direction of a car that will satisfy the requirements you referenced.

What kind of comment is this seriously? You sound like you expect Lucid to be able to defy the laws of physics.
There seems to be a bit of Goldilocks expectations placed on this car. Peter can’t end range anxiety if the buyer is impossible to please (“The car can’t go 520 if I don’t obey driving rules that apply to all EVs when trying to get max range? Waaaa Peter lied to us!”) Does it have better range than literally ANY other EV you can buy regardless of how you drive the Lucid compared to other EVs under the same conditions? Yes. It. Does. But does the driver still have range anxiety? If so then that’s not the car’s fault.

Last edited:
There seems to be a bit of Goldilocks expectations placed on this car. Peter can’t end range anxiety if the buyer is impossible to please (“The car can’t go 520 if I don’t obey driving rules that apply to all EVs when trying to get max range? Waaaa Peter lied to us!”) Does it have better range than literally ANY other EV you can buy regardless of how you drive the Lucid and other EVs under the same conditions? Yes. It. Does. But does the driver still have range anxiety? If so then that’s not the car’s fault.
I love that I have options. My trip to Payson was more than spirited, and I expected to pay a price in range. BUT what I didn't know was that the 14-50 dryer plug I expected was actually a 6-30 one. I had no way to charge the vehicle and outside of a Tesla supercharger, there were no options to recharge except back in Phoenix. My home was 85 miles away. I had 130 mile of range. The trip back was probably 60-40 downhill to uphill. I made it home with 40 miles of range remaining. I drove 75 mph. Minimal AC and mostly ACC. I also had a little fun at the end when going up a pretty steep hill. I had a similar range issue coming back from LA (mostly flat). It is very possible to get 1:1 range miles to actual miles without a huge sacrifice. 75 mph while slow for this car is not 55 mph.

FWIW, because the Payson drive has no gas stations for most of the trip, I have had some range anxiety with my Jeep at times too. And I definitely notice how quickly range goes down on my Jeep since I got the Lucid. If someone doesn't want to purchase because of range, I'd suggest that the fault lies with the limited number of chargers not Lucid's actual range results. And if that means not being able to run it down to 10% before charging or taking one more charging stop than a gas stop you might make on the same trip for the handful of roadtrips the average person might make a year, then it's not the car for you. But an EV isn't the car either.

There seems to be a bit of Goldilocks expectations placed on this car. Peter can’t end range anxiety if the buyer is impossible to please (“The car can’t go 520 if I don’t obey driving rules that apply to all EVs when trying to get max range? Waaaa Peter lied to us!”) Does it have better range than literally ANY other EV you can buy regardless of how you drive the Lucid compared to other EVs under the same conditions? Yes. It. Does. But does the driver still have range anxiety? If so then that’s not the car’s fault.
I agree. My calculation is take 80% of 100% range (to keep the battery in its charging good spot) and then another 25% off for not driving it like a Buick. But as you noted...it is still way better than anyone else.

I agree. My calculation is take 80% of 100% range (to keep the battery in its charging good spot) and then another 25% off for not driving it like a Buick. But as you noted...it is still way better than anyone else.
Honestly driving it like a hooligan doesn’t even poop the range that much, it seems more temperature and elevation that drop the range.

I tend to be very competitive. Is it from ADD? Too much coffee? Who knows, but it tends to make me drive too fast. Over the years as my cars got faster and faster (and maybe my hair got grayer) it became unreasonable to push the limits in traffic. That's when I discovered hypermiling. It allows full effort competition, requires full concentration, and can be done safely on public roads. It uses many of the skills I learned on race tracks (both 2 and 4 wheels). YesI plan to take my Air GT to a track day 'driving school' some time to see how that goes.

Most people never explore the full range of their cars performance at either end of the spectrum. These fine folks likely have a much more pragmatic goal which I happen to share. Some of the best driving roads are in very remote locations far from DC fast chargers. I live near Fort Worth Texas and just got back from Arkansas. Some of the best twisty roads and most laid back cops are in the Arkansas Ozarks. I discovered that by being very careful to conserve power in the travelling part of a trip I have plenty left to play with in the fun part of the trip and still be able to limp back to a charger. I love the Taos to Durango to Silverton Colorado run too. That may not be possible quite yet.

TLDR: Driving an Air efficiently opens the doors to places EVs have never been

EDIT: EPA range number represent about 60% low speed city street driving and 40% 70mph highway driving. Driving only at city speeds will yield a range higher than the EPA number. These folks are testing the highway range at 75-80mph it will be lower than the EPA number.

Last edited:
2) Best in class range

You get tired faster running than walking, too. Turns out physics is a thing.

520mi of range was under ideal (but not unachievable) conditions, yes. It is the best range there is.

In an ICE car, putting the pedal down for an entire drive will also burn gas faster. That’s how driving works.

You can choose to maximize range, or maximize fun, or land somewhere in between.

It will handle fantastically either way. Which choice you make is *entirely* up to you.

Honestly driving it like a hooligan doesn’t even poop the range that much, it seems more temperature and elevation that drop the range
Yes! I seldom see it mentioned but driving in the thinner air of higher elevations absolutely reduces resistance from the air you pass through. I did the math once (long forgotten number, low double digits%) after riding through a-state-with-ski-resorts at go-to-jail speeds and getting 50mpg on a Ducati (high CDa) that usually got 30mpg at legal-ish speeds in the lowlands. Climbing mountains in a heavy car, of course, costs much more energy.

Yes! I seldom see it mentioned but driving in the thinner air of higher elevations absolutely reduces resistance from the air you pass through. I did the math once (long forgotten number, low double digits%) after riding through a-state-with-ski-resorts at go-to-jail speeds and getting 50mpg on a Ducati (high CDa) that usually got 30mpg at legal-ish speeds in the lowlands. Climbing mountains in a heavy car, of course, costs much more energy.
So, what you are saying is I need to move to Denver to achieve max mi/kwh?

So, what you are saying is I need to move to Denver to achieve max mi/kwh?
As long as you only drive in the summer and only travel to Chyenne and Trinidad you'll be racking up the high (low) all time score!
This is also why Out Of Spec Reviews range test videos in Colorado need to be taken with a grain of salt.

As long as you only drive in the summer and only travel to Chyenne and Trinidad you'll be racking up the high (low) all time score!
This is also why Out Of Spec Reviews range test videos in Colorado need to be taken with a grain of salt.
Well this bodes very well for me here in Boulder.

I will say that coming home from the mountains, I usually end up with more range than when I left. Regen is a beautiful thing.

Well this bodes very well for me here in Boulder.

I will say that coming home from the mountains, I usually end up with more range than when I left. Regen is a beautiful thing.
I am very anxious for somebody to hack the Lucid's network. It had no OBDII port, only ethernet. Regen seems very high in this car. Most EVs can only turn about 30-something% of kinetic energy back into stored chemical energy. It will be great to see if Lucid has moved the bar there as well.
I'm having too much fun driving the car now to turn it into a science experiment though. I'm truly smitten.

I am very anxious for somebody to hack the Lucid's network. It had no OBDII port, only ethernet. Regen seems very high in this car. Most EVs can only turn about 30-something% of kinetic energy back into stored chemical energy. It will be great to see if Lucid has moved the bar there as well.
I'm having too much fun driving the car now to turn it into a science experiment though. I'm truly smitten.
I only understood half of what you said there, and this may not be the data points you need, but the max it seems you can get is 6.4 mi/kwh. I've never seen it go higher, even when simply coasting 14 miles down through the mountains (with trip reset at the top). Now, it did continue to say 6.4 for about 12 miles or so of slightly up and down roads, including about 1 mile climbing back up into the mountains.

This is from the same trip several of us are doing tomorrow, so it will be interesting to see what numbers everyone gets.

I only understood half of what you said there, and this may not be the data points you need, but the max it seems you can get is 6.4 mi/kwh. I've never seen it go higher, even when simply coasting 14 miles down through the mountains (with trip reset at the top). Now, it did continue to say 6.4 for about 12 miles or so of slightly up and down roads, including about 1 mile climbing back up into the mountains.

This is from the same trip several of us are doing tomorrow, so it will be interesting to see what numbers everyone gets.
Thanks! That is useful to know.

Back