Average mi/kwh

You misread the post I was replying to. This is specific to the “since last charge” mi/kWh alone. The post I replied to states that the since last charge readings are wildly inaccurate after just charging.
Well, so are mpg after just refueling until you drive more and even it out.
I wasn’t talking about the trip meter vs. since last charge meter.
I have found that if I have unplugged after charging and have overnight range loss, it is calculated into my mi/kwh so it seems way off at first. If it is plugged in overnight and there is range loss, it doesn't include that loss in the calculations. I seem to lose 10-20 miles while plugged in overnight, but much less if I unplug - haven't figured that one out yet.

There are a lot of factors that go into the efficiency. I would like to depend on the numbers the car shows on the screen. True efficiency would be miles driven divided by kW dispensed. it would account for all the losses along the way. For an ICE , it’s easy. I fill up the tank and record the miles. Drive and fill up again, record the miles driven. I look at the pump for the number of gallons dispensed and calculate my mpg. of course it varies with every fill up, but I can get a sense over time as to how the car is performing through cumulative numbers. My mpg calculation is very close to what the car tells me. For an EV, some of the kW get lost along the way, unlike filling up a gas tank (unless you overflow and spill gas on the ground). Those losses need to be taken into account for true efficiency. After all, I am paying for all the electrons dispensed, not just for the ones entering the car and I can get an apples to apples comparison with my ICE.

Then there is the efficiency on the road to accurately account for range, which I also want to know. I need to know how many kW are in the battery when I start, how many miles I have driven and then how many kW it takes to fill up. The kW it takes to fill up has those cable and heat losses included so I won’t have a real idea as to how many kW entered the battery. The car computer should account for that and give me an accurate reading for miles driven divided by kW consumed. I can calculate if it is giving me an accurate picture. For arguments sake, assume the battery size is 100kW when full. I drive it down to 20% which means I have used 80 kW. If the car says I averaged 3 miles per kW, then I should have driven 240 miles. That should match the speedometer reading. It is THAT number that I want to be accurate on the car when on trips.
Makes sense but it depends upon whether the battery capacity claimed is gross or net. I am not sure which applies to Lucid and if it is net, I don't know what is the percentage decrease (5%? 10%?).

I have found that if I have unplugged after charging and have overnight range loss, it is calculated into my mi/kwh so it seems way off at first. If it is plugged in overnight and there is range loss, it doesn't include that loss in the calculations. I seem to lose 10-20 miles while plugged in overnight, but much less if I unplug - haven't figured that one out yet.
If it's plugged and not charging for some reason it keeps running the fans expecting to have to cool he batteries which is silly

Just checked my trip computer. The largest sample size I have is 2535 miles with 828 kwh used to get 3.1 mi/kwh. Roughly 79.5% of EPA

Just checked my trip computer. The largest sample size I have is 2535 miles with 828 kwh used to get 3.1 mi/kwh. Roughly 79.5% of EPA
at your next charge- reset your one of your trip computers and see how it compares to "since last charge"

Ok so I followed up on hydbob's suggestion and we have a range test comparison drive planned for Sunday morning. Here are the participants and planned route/driving conditions:
Current Participants - bbq AGT 21"; Not Sam DER 19"; GEWC AGT 19"; SaratogaLefty DEP 21". Any other Lucids in the Bay Area more than welcome to join us.
The plan is we meet up at or slightly before 9:00 am on Sunday in Alice's parking lot. I will try be there early with my Eureka Gold Lucid. Once we are all present, we reset Trip A and head out. Preferably everyone will have somewhere around 80% SOC if possible and all cars should have regen on high. I'm thinking we drive at the speed limit plus 5 mph so as not to piss off everybody else (normally I drive this route at much higher speeds but the intent here is to see how ranges compare). I will lead and whenever possible I will use ACC. We will head West from Alice's to La Honda then turn North to 92 East to Skyline South and back to Alice's. Round trip according to Google Maps is right around 50 miles. Most driving will be at 60 mph or less on curvy roads with some hilly portions and slow speeds through Half Moon Bay area. Also hopefully should not need to have air conditioning on. Then when we finish we can compile all the data. Comments/suggestions welcome.

Ok so I followed up on hydbob's suggestion and we have a range test comparison drive planned for Sunday morning. Here are the participants and planned route/driving conditions:
Current Participants - bbq AGT 21"; Not Sam DER 19"; GEWC AGT 19"; SaratogaLefty DEP 21". Any other Lucids in the Bay Area more than welcome to join us.
The plan is we meet up at or slightly before 9:00 am on Sunday in Alice's parking lot. I will try be there early with my Eureka Gold Lucid. Once we are all present, we reset Trip A and head out. Preferably everyone will have somewhere around 80% SOC if possible and all cars should have regen on high. I'm thinking we drive at the speed limit plus 5 mph so as not to piss off everybody else (normally I drive this route at much higher speeds but the intent here is to see how ranges compare). I will lead and whenever possible I will use ACC. We will head West from Alice's to La Honda then turn North to 92 East to Skyline South and back to Alice's. Round trip according to Google Maps is right around 50 miles. Most driving will be at 60 mph or less on curvy roads with some hilly portions and slow speeds through Half Moon Bay area. Also hopefully should not need to have air conditioning on. Then when we finish we can compile all the data. Comments/suggestions welcome.
DreamPaloAlto is now joining us with a DEP 21". So now we have five!! Anybody else?

thanks for doing this. Will be interesting what you find since there is a good amount of elevation gained and lost on that route.

thanks for doing this. Will be interesting what you find since there is a good amount of elevation gained and lost on that route.
Here is the spread sheet I've put together to capture what I believe is the relevant information. If anybody thinks of something I've missed, please advise.
1652219946752.png

Three cheers for Science!

Perhaps add drive mode or are you dictating everyone be in the same drive mode from start to finish?
The intent is to try and maximize range. I'm not sure if there is a difference between the modes but I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that Smooth mode should give the best results. I'm open to other's thoughts on this?? Also, I just saw on another thread here that apparently the All Season tires are more efficient than the "sticky" PZero tires that come on the Dream Edition cars. We now have five cars and two of them have the 19" wheels which I believe come standard with the All Season tires, correct?

Perhaps it’s additional drain on the battery that affects range?

The intent is to try and maximize range. I'm not sure if there is a difference between the modes but I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that Smooth mode should give the best results. I'm open to other's thoughts on this?? Also, I just saw on another thread here that apparently the All Season tires are more efficient than the "sticky" PZero tires that come on the Dream Edition cars. We now have five cars and two of them have the 19" wheels which I believe come standard with the All Season tires, correct?
Smooth is definitely max range mode so do that in your testing or all do swift, but needs to be uniform.

Also the 21" are stickier summer tires which is also why the 21" spec gets lower mi/kwh.

Good testing group, only ones missing are DEP with 19" or a DER with 21"

Smooth is definitely max range mode so do that in your testing or all do swift, but needs to be uniform.

Also the 21" are stickier summer tires which is also why the 21" spec gets lower mi/kwh.

Good testing group, only ones missing are DEP with 19" or a DER with 21"
I'm thinking the missing DER with 21" is most likely pretty well covered by the AGT with 21" since we will not be accelerating aggressively. I'm going to try to drive the lead car very nicely like "driving Miss Daisy" even though it really goes against my nature in this car.

I'm thinking the missing DER with 21" is most likely pretty well covered by the AGT with 21" since we will not be accelerating aggressively. I'm going to try to drive the lead car very nicely like "driving Miss Daisy" even though it really goes against my nature in this car.
If Borski was back from his honeymoon he could have joined us with his DEP and put on his 19" wheels for the test, but he's still over in Europe having a blast!!

True, it's still a slight difference in battery pack and HP so that'd be interesting to see how much a difference it would make. I'm jealous of you guys!

True, it's still a slight difference in battery pack and HP so that'd be interesting to see how much a difference it would make. I'm jealous of you guys!
Yeah, so drive up and join us!! Only about 5-6 hours each way!!

Back