Average mi/kwh

It should hust be simple, but either way, is there another EV out there than can do 240 miles at 80mph on 64% SOC in 100 degree weather? Lucid is the range king

Absolutely. I never expected the Lucid as one would drive a $100+K car to meet the EPA numbers. But I never expected any of the other car makers BEVs to meet their number either. I have been monitoring the results that fellow members here have been posting. My off the cuff approach is to reduce the full range by 20% (for the 20-80% preferred charge) and then take another 25% off to account for driving style, weather, terrain, etc. But the number still beat everyone else.

Maybe the manufacturers should be made to publish results from both tests, effectively bracketing what range we can expect.

It would require some explaining to novice EV customers, but that ain't a bad idea.

Here’s a typical days driving for me, with a lot of freeway and up/down. No ACC and very little traffic, but a few steep grades (hwy 92) and rolling hills (280). I’m on the 19” wheels and was going usually >75mph with the flow of traffic.

Attachments

• 579C8535-B40B-4423-A717-FD59039A8D4B.jpeg
    579C8535-B40B-4423-A717-FD59039A8D4B.jpeg
    737.4 KB · Views: 159
How much of an efficiency improvement have folks seen if you change the smooth setting from standard regen to high regen ? I don’t like the feel of high regen but willing to take the hit of it’s a big improvement
Massive. This is the biggest help for range. Also, if you give it a few days you will get used to it and then the one-pedal driving is *really* nice.

That's a very practical distance to remember between charge stops on a long road trip - 80% charge down to 15%, at 82mph , at 100F = 240 miles between stops. Panoche Shell has to be the most armpit-like charging stop between Los Banos and San Diego on I-5. Six chargers shoehorned behind a gas station with an iffy restroom :oops: . At least it was last time we visited.

As long as you saw no young blonde in daisy dukes and bare feet, picking her way out of said iffy restroom…

The problem for me is
my car with VERY conservative driving can not get anywhere close to the EPA range in ideal conditions .:(....
did you have any luck with the service center?

Part of why we did the convoy test the other weekend here in Bay Area was because of the significant difference in mi/kwh we saw across some people in the same area/roads. The result showed that all of us could get better results.

If yours is SO far off, sounds like it is worth a conversation with the service center…. They should be able to get the telemetry and give some input.

How much of an efficiency improvement have folks seen if you change the smooth setting from standard regen to high regen ? I don’t like the feel of high regen but willing to take the hit of it’s a big improvement

For most drivers of long-range EVs such as Teslas and Lucids, range is not an issue for local driving . . . and it is in local stop-and-go driving that regenerative braking returns the most energy to the battery pack relative to miles driven. On long road trips where range is most important, regenerative braking comes into play less often, and then mostly in downhill driving where it helps offset the additional energy consumption of driving up the hill in the first place.

That being said, I still keep the car in high regen mode because I've been addicted to one-pedal driving ever since I encountered it in our first Tesla seven years ago. When switching back to our ICE vehicle, the absence of regen braking is the most annoying aspect of driving it.

Bill, I'm in the same situation. For whatever reason, this forum is unable to separate, "Lucid is incapable of hitting EPA" from "my car can't get anywhere close to EPA no matter what I do." I have given up looking for support on this issue here.

Hopefully this helps some: The tech that examined my car was very confident there is something wrong with how the software is calculating/displaying efficiency. He believes my car is working perfectly, and I am likely getting better range than any SOC or mi/kWh display would indicate. He said they verified this by comparing display values with numbers pulled from the actual batteries themselves.

I think the best thing to do right now is sit tight and wait for software updates. The reality is anyone talking about their efficiency (high or low) using SOC or any data from their car is likely wrong. That being said, you won't have to wait long for what I am saying to be completely ignored and someone reporting 4.1 on their latest road trip lol.
Yesterday I finally figured out a few things and for 20 miles mostly freeway got above the EPA.
1) These cars use ALOT of energy cooling the batteries down after super charging.
2) I think waiting to the last min to slow down and having a hard regen helps put more energy in the the battery then slowly slowing down?? Thoughts anyone

Attachments

• IMG_4211.jpg
    IMG_4211.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 110
did you have any luck with the service center?

Part of why we did the convoy test the other weekend here in Bay Area was because of the significant difference in mi/kwh we saw across some people in the same area/roads. The result showed that all of us could get better results.

If yours is SO far off, sounds like it is worth a conversation with the service center…. They should be able to get the telemetry and give some input.
I have spoken to them and took my car in for service it sounds like 2 things
One I've done at least 6000 miles of highway driving most of it using the CC and noticed if I don't use it i get 12-15% better mileage.
With all of the highway driving I'm always super charging and that may take the car up to an hour of driving to cool the battery down using lots of energy in the process.
Yesterday I finally exceeded the EPA Range with 4.6 mi/kw after 20 miles more down hill then up and a good tail wind LOL

You should see a big improvements with High regen

I have spoken to them and took my car in for service it sounds like 2 things
One I've done at least 6000 miles of highway driving most of it using the CC and noticed if I don't use it i get 12-15% better mileage.
With all of the highway driving I'm always super charging and that may take the car up to an hour of driving to cool the battery down using lots of energy in the process.
Yesterday I finally exceeded the EPA Range with 4.6 mi/kw after 20 miles more down hill then up and a good tail wind LOL
Yeah, I’ve noticed if level 2 charge instead of fast charge I can hit EPA. I haven’t gone more than 40 miles when doing so but I’ve gotten 4.6 mi/kWh.

Yesterday I finally figured out a few things and for 20 miles mostly freeway got above the EPA.
1) These cars use ALOT of energy cooling the batteries down after super charging.
2) I think waiting to the last min to slow down and having a hard regen helps put more energy in the the battery then slowly slowing down?? Thoughts anyone
1. Yes! There is significant range loss after using the EA chargers. And it messes with your average if you are looking at "since last charge". It does not seem to have the same affect on trip numbers.
2. I drive the exact opposite way. I lightly bring my foot off and get the longest regen time that I can. I get much better results that way.

1. Yes! There is significant range loss after using the EA chargers. And it messes with your average if you are looking at "since last charge". It does not seem to have the same affect on trip numbers.
2. I drive the exact opposite way. I lightly bring my foot off and get the longest regen time that I can. I get much better results that way.

As regeneration can put out current faster than the battery cells can take it, you're likely capturing more of the regeneration energy by deploying it more gently.

As regeneration can put out current faster than the battery cells can take it, you're likely capturing more of the regeneration energy by deploying it more gently.
This would seem to argue for usage of the lighter regen setting...
and the post-DCFC cooling energy usage would seem to argue for using 150kw stations over 350kw ones...

This would seem to argue for usage of the lighter regen setting...
and the post-DCFC cooling energy usage would seem to argue for using 150kw stations over 350kw ones...
No, because then you simply would not be capturing that energy.
I have only used 150 stations and my home charger. I get losses for both but significantly more than with the 150. What I want to play around with now is if there is more benefit to charging only as needed as opposed to topping up to 80% every day. I also wonder if there is less loss if you charge and then drive for the day as opposed to charging and then just driving home for the evening, like I did.

Last edited:
... With all of the highway driving I'm always super charging and that may take the car up to an hour of driving to cool the battery down using lots of energy in the process. ...
This has me wondering what SOC you stop at using the DCFC... The chart at https://insideevs.com/news/555634/lucid-air-fast-charging-analysis/ indicates that the Air tails off its charging speed as a higher SOC is reached... but we don't know what happens to the temperature of the battery during that time (i.e. is it also cooling down, or is it still at the target temperature... would some of that energy cost to cool the battery come from the charger if you took it to a higher SOC or not, etc).

This has me wondering what SOC you stop at using the DCFC... The chart at https://insideevs.com/news/555634/lucid-air-fast-charging-analysis/ indicates that the Air tails off its charging speed as a higher SOC is reached... but we don't know what happens to the temperature of the battery during that time (i.e. is it also cooling down, or is it still at the target temperature... would some of that energy cost to cool the battery come from the charger if you took it to a higher SOC or not, etc).
Personally, I stop when the charging speed is anything less than 100 kwh

No, because then you simply would not be capturing that energy. ...
I'm not talking about resorting to the resistive brakes... if you are still in regen (just lighter), then the total amount of energy being converted from momentum is still the same, be it done "fast" or "slow"... indeed, one would think that a lower regen would reduce the loss from not being able to recapture the energy (e.g. because the battery isn't warm enough, etc).

Back