Auto Insurance using regen breaking

Perry

Cars
Lucid Air Pure
I currently use Progessive Insurance with an option called Snap Shot on my phone to reduce rate. I looked at my record and notice I only receive one star out of five stars because I had 15 hard breaks in one day. I hardly ever use my brakes due to the regen option. Found out if I continue my rates will increase a lot. Their algorithm is not compatible yet with electric car regen options. When I lift up on the gas pedal it shows up as a hard stop, Same problem May show up with other insurance companies.

Sounds to me that the problem is not the fact that you use regenerative braking, but rather you are releasing the accelerator too quickly which results in a hard braking event which, I would argue, is just as dangerous as a hard braking event with traditional brakes. The key is to refine the single pedal driving to be smooth.

I currently use Progessive Insurance with an option called Snap Shot on my phone to reduce rate. I looked at my record and notice I only receive one star out of five stars because I had 15 hard breaks in one day. I hardly ever use my brakes due to the regen option. Found out if I continue my rates will increase a lot. Their algorithm is not compatible yet with electric car regen options. When I lift up on the gas pedal it shows up as a hard stop, Same problem May show up with other insurance companies.
Is Snap Shot optional? What else does it report back to Progressive? Does it report your driving speed vs. speed limit as well? Since it's not compatible with the way an EV operates, it sounds like you shouldn't be using it.

Is Snap Shot optional? What else does it report back to Progressive? Does it report your driving speed vs. speed limit as well? Since it's not compatible with the way an EV operates, it sounds like you shouldn't be using it.
Yes, it’s optional and should not be enrolled to save a few bucks on insurance. They track everything including braking, aggressive turning, sudden acceleration and night time driving etc. totally takes out the joy of driving the car like normal people do. I had Tesla insurance for the first month and then switched to a regular insurance for my previous car.

Agreed, those driver tracking apps are a kind of disturbing scam. They don't really make your insurance cheaper because they're making sure you drive safely, they make your insurance cheaper because your insurance company is then selling your location history and other data to advertising companies. They'll likely only work against you if/when you actually file a claim, because the insurance company can say "but you were speeding! [by 2mph]" or whatever they'd like to avoid paying out.

Agreed, those driver tracking apps are a kind of disturbing scam. They don't really make your insurance cheaper because they're making sure you drive safely, they make your insurance cheaper because your insurance company is then selling your location history and other data to advertising companies. They'll likely only work against you if/when you actually file a claim, because the insurance company can say "but you were speeding! [by 2mph]" or whatever they'd like to avoid paying out.
Absolutely! In my brief experience with Tesla insurance which tracks all these things…found myself driving with extreme caution and always thinking about not getting the safety score dinged; which increases the premiums. Took me a couple of weeks to realize, that this not only ruins the whole purpose of spirited driving, but also posed a grave danger of getting in an accident by overthinking every move e.g. braking less to avoid hard braking, following not too closely with other vehicle etc.

I use Progressive but no way I would give them access to that info. It’s already pretty reasonably priced anyway, and that data only benefits the insurance company.

do yourself a favor and get that app off of your phone. they are too binary and not well suited to drivers of EVs

Actually, I suspect that in many instances they may cause accidents. If you see the TV commercials (I forget which company) some or many drivers will delay hard breaking or sudden speed increases needed to safely avoid an accident because they are monitoring and watching their scores. To paraphrase Adlai Stevenson: so long as it is optional hell will freeze over before I select the option.

Apps that allow insurance companies to monitor and judge one's driving are another step towards making 1984 a reality. They are not worth the loss of privacy - even if you drive like a grandma - no matter the discount they promise.

Tried that app with an un-named insurance company once. Drove slower and more carefully sure. The score improved, but insurance costs didn't. Felt like the cost only went up. Removed the app, they complained, then removed the insurance company. :)

Yeah, no way will I ever let an insurance company track everything i'm doing. You'll be screwed more than you're rewarded.

Back