• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Arizona

Last weekend we did our first EV road trip in the Lucid AT 19, going from Chandler to Kingman. Me, my wife, and our two college-age kids, a huge cooler in the frunk, a portable refrigerator/freezer and all the other weekend necessities in the trunk. Just enough cargo space for it all, and so much space for us! We headed out mid-afternoon on Friday, which means driving into a headwind and enduring 119-degree heat that only dropped to 108 by the time we arrived (and of course we're going through the mountains and gaining more than 2000 feet of elevation by our destination). We left with an indicated 410 miles of range (95% SOC) and our only stop was a restroom break in Wikieup. No charging along the way. We arrived with an indicated 65 miles remaining, using 70kWh to travel 219.2 miles, or 3.1mi/kWh. Not bad considering the conditions the car was facing. I don't believe there's another EV out there today that would have accommodated all our stuff and made the trip without charging along the way.
Charging at EA in Kingman would have been a disappointment had I been in a hurry. I went there right around sunrise since I figured that'd be easier on the battery. But the 350kW charger only dispensed 40kW, so it took a couple of hours. Probably better for the battery, though. I was the only one there, with an ID.4 arriving just as I was leaving.
The return trip was a lot easier. We departed around 5PM so we missed the worst of the heat, although it was still over 105 for the whole drive. More downhill than up, and a little tailwind. 53kWh to cover 216.9 miles, for 4.1mi/kWh. Round trip, it was just over 3.5mi/kWh. A far cry from the 4.6 that the car is rated for, but I think it's quite reasonable considering the conditions.
What a relaxing drive. I loved it, and I'll always remember my first EV road trip. But my wife hates the horizontal seam in the seat that hits her just under the shoulder blades, and my son thought the back seat was too firm on both the bottom and the backrest, creating pressure points. Anyone else have similar experiences and have suggestions?

But my wife hates the horizontal seam in the seat that hits her just under the shoulder blades
Play with the angle of the seat bottom and seat back and you should be able to eliminate this. I have noticed that same problem and have now found a very comfortable position.

Last weekend we did our first EV road trip in the Lucid AT 19, going from Chandler to Kingman. Me, my wife, and our two college-age kids, a huge cooler in the frunk, a portable refrigerator/freezer and all the other weekend necessities in the trunk. Just enough cargo space for it all, and so much space for us! We headed out mid-afternoon on Friday, which means driving into a headwind and enduring 119-degree heat that only dropped to 108 by the time we arrived (and of course we're going through the mountains and gaining more than 2000 feet of elevation by our destination). We left with an indicated 410 miles of range (95% SOC) and our only stop was a restroom break in Wikieup. No charging along the way. We arrived with an indicated 65 miles remaining, using 70kWh to travel 219.2 miles, or 3.1mi/kWh. Not bad considering the conditions the car was facing. I don't believe there's another EV out there today that would have accommodated all our stuff and made the trip without charging along the way.
Charging at EA in Kingman would have been a disappointment had I been in a hurry. I went there right around sunrise since I figured that'd be easier on the battery. But the 350kW charger only dispensed 40kW, so it took a couple of hours. Probably better for the battery, though. I was the only one there, with an ID.4 arriving just as I was leaving.
The return trip was a lot easier. We departed around 5PM so we missed the worst of the heat, although it was still over 105 for the whole drive. More downhill than up, and a little tailwind. 53kWh to cover 216.9 miles, for 4.1mi/kWh. Round trip, it was just over 3.5mi/kWh. A far cry from the 4.6 that the car is rated for, but I think it's quite reasonable considering the conditions.
What a relaxing drive. I loved it, and I'll always remember my first EV road trip. But my wife hates the horizontal seam in the seat that hits her just under the shoulder blades, and my son thought the back seat was too firm on both the bottom and the backrest, creating pressure points. Anyone else have similar experiences and have suggestions?

How fast were you driving? That is the other key variable.

Play with the angle of the seat bottom and seat back and you should be able to eliminate this. I have noticed that same problem and have now found a very comfortable position.
That might still be a possibility as she didn't recall it being a problem when we first got the car but it's been a problem ever since it came back from service, and the seat was definitely adjusted then. But she's been adjusting it a lot trying to find that right spot and so far not having any luck. Keeping fingers crossed.

That might still be a possibility as she didn't recall it being a problem when we first got the car but it's been a problem ever since it came back from service, and the seat was definitely adjusted then. But she's been adjusting it a lot trying to find that right spot and so far not having any luck. Keeping fingers crossed.
My wife is rather small. I picked up a few camping seat cushions that lift her up about an inch-and-a-half and it made a huge difference to her comfort.

How fast were you driving? That is the other key variable.
Not very. Twenty years ago, I was one of the faster drivers on the road, but traffic has gotten considerably faster in Arizona since then. I keep it less than five over when traffic is light, and less than ten over otherwise, unless traffic is moving so fast that going that slow would be a hazard. And the family would probably freak out if they discovered what this car is capable of.

My wife is rather small. I picked up a few camping seat cushions that lift her up about an inch-and-a-half and it made a huge difference to her comfort.
That might be just the ticket. Maybe for my son too... he doesn't so much need the lift, as the cush.

Not very. Twenty years ago, I was one of the faster drivers on the road, but traffic has gotten considerably faster in Arizona since then. I keep it less than five over when traffic is light, and less than ten over otherwise, unless traffic is moving so fast that going that slow would be a hazard. And the family would probably freak out if they discovered what this car is capable of.
I grew up on the East Coast, where 55 is still the max in most places. As a teen, I thought that was ridiculous. Still do.

Many tickets later, I never learned to slow down that much.

Now that I've lived on the West Coast and currently in the West, where speed limits are usually 75 or 80, the speed limit is just fine by me. Most of the time. I'll pass people faster than 80, but for hours on end during a road trip, I feel like 75-80 is perfectly reasonable.

So I drive pretty much the same as I always have, but it's costing me a lot less. :)

On the I10-i8 people are driving 100 mph I can do 90-95 usually just stay on left side :)

5 or 10 over the speed limit...your results are very good considering that the speed limit for most of that trip is either 75 or 65. So driving >70 and <85 is not the most efficient way to drive (but far more satisfying) and you still generated excellent results.

What type of tint did you have installed?

You'll want an IR (& UV) reducing tint, which works independently of the darkness factor (VLT). I have chosen XPEL Prime Plus. It will reduce rate of heat entering the interior of the car from the windows & canopy (only do the front half of the canopy).

The interior will still heat in the sun when temp is not being managed (e.g. remote pre-cooling or 45 min temperature maintain when exiting). However, it will heat more slowly and the surfaces, e.g. steering wheel, seats, will no longer get hot even when parked in the sun for long periods.
Honestly, I do not know. Mine was previously owned and it was already done. The steering wheel is fine but the seats get hot and it takes 20+ minutes to cool off when driving home from work. Looks like I may have to have it redone.

Honestly, I do not know. Mine was previously owned and it was already done. The steering wheel is fine but the seats get hot and it takes 20+ minutes to cool off when driving home from work. Looks like I may have to have it redone.
Just turn on the remote climate control 15-20 minutes before leaving work.

It would be great to get some Phoenix owners to join this event. Three Lucid's registered so far. Is anyone else interested in joining? I know that @Pwmac and I will be there. I also talked with the Scottsdale studio to see if they will join, I am fairly sure that they will. If people are interested, I will plan a lunch afterward.

National Drive Electric Week - Phoenix

Day:Saturday, September 30, 2023
Time:8:00 am - 12:00 pm MST
5757 North Central Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85012

Link for more information and to register.

It would be great to get some Phoenix owners to join this event. Three Lucid's registered so far. Is anyone else interested in joining? I know that @Pwmac and I will be there. I also talked with the Scottsdale studio to see if they will join, I am fairly sure that they will. If people are interested, I will plan a lunch afterward.

Phoenix, AZ 85012

FYI I was the 3rd Lucid or first :)
Lucid leading the pack

Phoenix, AZ 85012

I'm interested in lunch afterwards. Surprised, but happy to see, there are more Lucids registered than Teslas.

Back