Arizona

My advice ... whatever you do, don't stop at Quartzsite to charge (unless it's an emergency). Horrible experience at EA both times I've been there. Rate was 5 kW for 10 minutes, then switched it another charging station and it was 5 kW to 40 kW bouncing between the two. Both times long lines. Avoid
Quartzsite heard many horror stories, heard anything about Yuma?

I really wouldn’t call hypermiling, I think 70 mph is a relaxed pace.
But in practice close to it. In Arizona, I put my car in ACC mode at 75 mph (to avoid speeding tickets) where the speed limit is 65 and I am passed by far more cars than I pass. But for most of the trip in Arizona, on I-10, the speed limit will be 75 so most cars will be going more than 85. Therefore, in practice on Arizona interstates outside the metro areas, going 70 mph will be like hypermiling.

Anyone from AZ make the trip out to San Diego I see one main electrify America chargers in Yuma at half way point. Thinking about making trip there for July 4 in Lucid or possibly Tesla. Wanted to know if any gotchas or tips also it’s a busy holidays week that one
I have done the San Diego trip a couple of times. Used the EA chargers in Dateland with decent success. Certainly could have made it without stopping but the need for clean bathrooms and a stretch. Date Shake if you want. 😎🧋

It’s like 111 degrees today but I am freezing in my car 🚘:) tint is working, how you all doing in this heat ??

IMG_8459.jpeg

I just went to SmartFilm and got XPEL XR Plus. Since I have the metal roof, I didn't want my windows dark, so I went with 70% VLT. What a difference! The AC doesn't have to work nearly so much now. But my daily driver is my bicycle, and the AC doesn't seem to work so well on that today :)

Keeping my cool! 😎 The tint film does indeed work!
We've been lucky in LV, as temps in the 90's. On Friday, we'll finally get into the 3 digits for the summer. So far, the XPEL has been working very well.

It's really easy to see what happens without it (regarding UV)- just open your window and let the sun hit your arm - you'll feel it burning right away. Also, an easy test with the steering wheel. If you open your window and let the sun shine in while driving, the wheel will start heating up. Just roll-up your window and both both issues go away immediately.

For heat/IR, there's no question at all it is working well. If you leave the car in the sun, you'll want to pre-cool the interior about 10 minutes before re-entering.

As @blueice89 likes to point out, it is hot here in Phoenix. In addiiton, I-17 is a mess with widening all of the way to Sunset Point. Hence, there is only one good thing to do and that is a Saturday drive to Payson. @Pwmac and I are going to drive up to Payson on Saturday July 8 to have lunch at Macky's Grill and cool off. The plan is to meet up at the Wendy's in Fountain Hills at Shea and SR87 at about 10:30 in the morning and then drive to Payson. GT's have plenty of range for up and back Touring may need a short top off at the EA in Payson. Please let us know if you would like to join.

As @blueice89 likes to point out, it is hot here in Phoenix. In addiiton, I-17 is a mess with widening all of the way to Sunset Point. Hence, there is only one good thing to do and that is a Saturday drive to Payson. @Pwmac and I are going to drive up to Payson on Saturday July 8 to have lunch at Macky's Grill and cool off. The plan is to meet up at the Wendy's in Fountain Hills at Shea and SR87 at about 10:30 in the morning and then drive to Payson. GT's have plenty of range for up and back Touring may need a short top off at the EA in Payson. Please let us know if you would like to join.
You always choose days I am not here :( , I would say if you go to Surprise AZ and you can then navigate to Prescott it’s a really wicked twisty drive and will push your Lucid limits. And you get a secret passage to Prescott

Not sure if the Touring would need a top off. I think I got 5.5 downhill from Payson last time I went, at least until I hit Shea.

You always choose days I am not here :( , I would say if you go to Surprise AZ and you can then navigate to Prescott it’s a really wicked twisty drive and will push your Lucid limits. And you get a secret passage to Prescott
The back way up to Prescott is a great drive.

ADOT to host virtual public meeting July 18 on the Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure Deployment Plan 2023 Update

The Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) will host a virtual public meeting July 18 on the 2023 Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure Deployment Plan Update. The update will include information about the additional highways being added as alternative fuel corridors (AFC) as part of the 2023 plan update.

The virtual meeting will be held:

Tuesday, July 18, from 6-7:30 p.m
Visit azdot.gov/AZEVJuly18 to register for the meeting and receive your link to attend.
Project staff will be available to answer questions.
Spanish and Diné (Navajo) interpreters will be available.

Funded by the federal National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) Program and guided by significant stakeholder and public input, the ongoing goal of the plan is to build a resilient, equitable, accessible and reliable network statewide.

For more information about the EV plan visit AZDOT.gov/EVPlan.

Reactions: DTA
As @blueice89 likes to point out, it is hot here in Phoenix. In addition, I-17 is a mess with widening all of the way to Sunset Point. Hence, there is only one good thing to do and that is a Saturday drive to Payson. @Pwmac and I are going to drive up to Payson on Saturday July 8 to have lunch at Macky's Grill and cool off. The plan is to meet up at the Wendy's in Fountain Hills at Shea and SR87 at about 10:30 in the morning and then drive to Payson. GT's have plenty of range for up and back Touring may need a short top off at the EA in Payson. Please let us know if you would like to join.
It is not too late in case anyone is interested in joining us on Saturday. Please respond here to let us know.

It is not too late in case anyone is interested in joining us on Saturday. Please respond here to let us know.
Speaking of Payson, I was traveling Friday to Pinetop from Tucson via Globe. The car rerouted me due to the road closure past Globe. Road was closed due to fire. The car estimated I would arrive with 68 miles remaining.

I decided to top off from 65-80% in Globe. The EA station is run by APS and is very convenient, right behind a Mexican restaurant, although I was there for only 10-15 min and didn’t need to eat.

The rest of the route to Payson was on HWY 188 which runs by Rosevelt lake. I stopped in Payson for a quick 10min charge while I went to the bathroom at Basha’s. Payson was crowded, and a lot of traffic approaching the city. There was a F150 Lightning charging at EA. It was hauling a large Motor Home. They left right before me on to the road to Pinetop, which also had a lot of traffic and much road construction.

Hopefully HWY 60 will reopen when I head back to Tucson on Monday. I would hate to drive through Payson again.

Holiday traffic is why I am little cautious and use Tesla for really long trips cause I want to know where next charger and it’s free to use capacity wise

Holiday traffic is why I am little cautious and use Tesla for really long trips cause I want to know where next charger and it’s free to use capacity wise
I am not sure what prompts this comment. The EA/APS chargers in Globe and Payson have high PlugShare scores. I also have not had any issues with two locations. I get it if you are talking Quartzsite, but it is misleading to assume that all EA sites are bad because that is simply not true.

I am not sure what prompts this comment. The EA/APS chargers in Globe and Payson have high PlugShare scores. I also have not had any issues with two locations. I get it if you are talking Quartzsite, but it is misleading to assume that all EA sites are bad because that is simply not true.
Really long trips was more or less referencing road trips like to San Diego where I am now

I went from Santa Clara to Scottsdale and Tucson and the only issue I had was at Quartzsite.

I went from Santa Clara to Scottsdale and Tucson and the only issue I had was at Quartzsite.
You would think, since this is such a strategic site, they would at least keep the chargers operational and at high capacity — not to mention adding some more chargers. The Rivian Adventure network has six stalls on the other side of the freeway (200kW).

Back