Anyone know of bidirectional charging status?

austinlucid

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT
Installed the Lucid Connected Home Charging Station a couple weeks ago - still need to hook up the WiFi but charging has been super fast.

Was curious if anyone has heard any info about the planned bidirectional charging capability? As temps plummet in Texas, still have some PTSD from last year's ice storm Uri when the Texas grid basically failed.

Installed the Lucid Connected Home Charging Station a couple weeks ago - still need to hook up the WiFi but charging has been super fast.

Was curious if anyone has heard any info about the planned bidirectional charging capability? As temps plummet in Texas, still have some PTSD from last year's ice storm Uri when the Texas grid basically failed.
No announcements yet.

Man, really wish we had that bi-di charging! Tons of power outages in Austin from the ice storm, temperature dropping fast in my house, and feeling Winter Storm Uri deja vu.

Sorry, CarPlay is priority. 😂

Jokes aside, definitely interesting to put things into perspective. Given what happened in the past the bi directional charging and V2H should have been on the top of the list. That stuff can save lives.

Sorry, CarPlay is priority. 😂

Jokes aside, definitely interesting to put things into perspective. Given what happened in the past the bi directional charging and V2H should have been on the top of the list. That stuff can save lives.
My guess is two different teams are working on bi-directional charging vs. CarPlay. So priorities are likely not the issue. At least, I'd say it's unlikely any work on CarPlay is holding up bi-directional charging. There could be something else power-related that's getting the attention of that team.

Best guess is the thing holding bi-directional back is regulations and utility companies.

Man, really wish we had that bi-di charging! Tons of power outages in Austin from the ice storm, temperature dropping fast in my house, and feeling Winter Storm Uri deja vu.
I agree. Lots of downed trees near us at this point, which is the real cause of the outages. Ercot dashboard shows plenty of power in the grid assuming local power companies can get lines back up.

Best guess is the thing holding bi-directional back is regulations and utility companies.
Why? Standard backup generator transfer switch technology unless Lucid wants to send power back to the grid, which I doubt.

This is my understanding as well. Several conversations with home charge electrician installers. They say it's coming in Nevada "soon" but they can't say when.

And city permits and home owners insurance and battery warranty issues on the car too I would imagine.

Isnt Ford’s bi-directional charging already working or is that in the same state as Lucid?

I think @thecodingart said it was not yet operational?
Ford's bi-directional charging is functional and can be purchased/used today! It is proprietary though and was released before the ISO standard became official as a global V2X standard (Ford was lobbying for it to be released earlier but... yeah).

If you're curious about installation/costs, we partnered with SunRun for installs. I would just reach out to them.

Mind you, in the future, it wouldn't be unreasonable and it would be quite pragmatic to think that Ford would release a non-proprietary version of V2X chargers (and whatnot) with the ISO standard now out in the wild.

Regarding Lucid though, I’m honestly wondering if their challenges have been oriented around the ISO standardization delays and ensuring they’re aligned with industry standards.

Rivian recently had some announcements planning to support open standards and add V2X through a software update. Lucid’s pure silence on promises like this and CarPlay is infuriating.

What did your electrician charge to make the modifications necessary to enable bi-directional charging (once the software necessary to be directional exists) ? I got an estimate from someone I reached thru Qmerit (Lucid's recommended partner) for over $5k !!! What the f--k ???? Anyone else get a quote that was not in the stratosphere?

Back