Anyone install a Lucid home charger themselves?

mraschko

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring; Audi Q7
I'm curious if anyone has installed the Lucid home charger themselves.

I have a Tesla charger from my brief Tesla ownership, but all this talk of voiding warranties has me scared off of using it with an adaptor on my soon-to-be-delivered Touring. Since bi-directional requirements aren't out yet, I'd rather hold off on getting an electrician out until it's available (one truck roll rather than two). I'm thinking that it shouldn't be too difficult to swap the Tesla charger for a Lucid knowing that I won't be getting the full charging speed until I upgrade the wiring once bi-directional is ready.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
-Michael

Big nope.
  • That circuit will be just as happy sending the 240v/100A of sparky bois into your body instead of the battery.
  • installation by anyone other than a licensed electrician will waive claims under warranty for damage to the battery
  • your home insurance will be very angry at you

I'm thinking that it shouldn't be too difficult to swap the Tesla charger for a Lucid
meaning it won't be expensive to hire an electrician to do it.

Since all the wiring and the circuits are in place, you should be able to do it fairly easily. Hang a plate on the wall for the unit to attach to, open one of the knockout holes. Three wires to attach and a clip to attach the wiring to the front plate circuit board. Make sire the circuit is off before proceeding is a given ⚡

Im in the same situation. I'm switching from a Tesla to a Lucid charger. It is all wired and there is a cut off box next to the charger so I can easily cut off the electricity. I was thinking it shouldn't be that difficult but have yet to receive my Lucid Charger which I ordered early this week.

"I spent $160,000 on a car but can't afford an electrician for an hour or two."
iu

homeowner's will pay for it.... i think .... oops.

I did mine, but I've done electrical work before. It's not difficult if your existing conduit enters the Tesla charger through the bottom surface. You'll need appropriate chair lugs, heavy heatshrink tubing, and a torque screwdriver. If you have any doubt, an electrician is money well spent.

I did the work and then hired an electrician to get the inspection sticker / township code entry = resale of house.

Thank you all on the tips for how to DIY on this one, and smart to get the stamp of approval afterward.

I'm curious if anyone has installed the Lucid home charger themselves.

I have a Tesla charger from my brief Tesla ownership, but all this talk of voiding warranties has me scared off of using it with an adaptor on my soon-to-be-delivered Touring. Since bi-directional requirements aren't out yet, I'd rather hold off on getting an electrician out until it's available (one truck roll rather than two). I'm thinking that it shouldn't be too difficult to swap the Tesla charger for a Lucid knowing that I won't be getting the full charging speed until I upgrade the wiring once bi-directional is ready.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
-Michael
You could do it yourself if you are handy and comfortable with electrical work. I suspect that a Licensed electrician should be able to do it in less than 2 hrs. Maybe go back to the electrician who installed your Tesla charger?

Back