Any Lucid owners who are previously Tesla owners? Curious about your thoughts on your experience and if you prefer Lucid

Active noise cancellation? What do you mean?
I'm pretty sure Lucid do something too, no? Even Honda Civics have some noise suppression.
Software enhancement to implement speaker instead of hardware enhancement to save $$$, sort of like ditching radar and sonar to strictly relying on camera vision.

Do you mean, Lucid will see Tesla in its rear view mirror? 😁

But to answer the OP's question, I would never trade my day to day in the Lucid for the Tesla. Older software might be clunky but it does everything you need. A lot of the Tesla features are just fluff and unnecessary.
Disagreed with this statement. Most of Tesla’s features are well engineered and needed. They keep looking for customers feedbacks for software improvements. Lucid software is still not there yet but it’s improving very fast.
I wish if they included the highway assist and adaptive control in their Dream Drive and leave the advanced autonomous features for the Pro to compete with Tesla AutoPilot.

There are more than ....20 Teslas in our extended family (pix of when we gather at our grandma's house - sometimes it looks like a Tesla SC !!). We all got Teslas because it was the best (if not the only) EV on the market at the time.

But of the year, we're all getting tired of Tesla's low build quality, features that never delivered as promised, rough rides, cheap material, elimination of features in our cars without our consent (i.e radar, ultrasonic sensor...) - and recently, horrible customer service experience. On my sister's Tesla, the car just slammed on the brake by itself several times within one week (she's not even on AP), and cars behind almost rear-ended her yet Tesla scheduled 4 weeks out just to take a look at it !!!

So we're all switching to Rivian and Lucid.... Knowing several people who work at Lucid, to see how they work and hearing about the the mindset Peter and Eric set on the employees to strike for the best for customers, also gives us enough confidence to migrate to the brand.

tqg3Ut9.jpg
You nailed it here. I experienced the same things exact the brake issue you mentioned.

Disagreed with this statement. Most of Tesla’s features are well engineered and needed. They keep looking for customers feedbacks for software improvements. Lucid software is still not there yet but it’s improving very fast.
I wish if they included the highway assist and adaptive control in their Dream Drive and leave the advanced autonomous features for the Pro to compete with Tesla AutoPilot.
I guess I must respectfully disagree with the "needed" part of your statement. I ordered a Model Y in 2021 and the month before I received my car, the chip which would have provided lumbar support for the passenger (which was included at the time I ordered) disappeared to be used to make more cars with driver's side lumbar support (direct requests to Tesla for an exception for medical reasons were ignored). Then the radar disappeared. When I was not driving, it was a painful trip. The amount of time to introduce waypoints was ridiculous, but I could turn on "Santa Mode", and sometimes I could even turn it off. I could avoid ferries, but not highways (it would be interesting to see how many ferries are actually in the US). The final software update sent out before I ditched the car did me in.... yet another shuffle of functions and needing to remember where things were buried. I took a road trip shortly thereafter and being in the car for 6-8 hours on highways and needing to dig for functions was a pain. In daily driving where you make frequent stops, it was not as noticeable how inconvenient (and sometimes dangerous) that could be.

I hope the connectivity of the Tesla migrates over to the Lucid, but the superior ride of the Lucid (yes, I know I did not have the high-end Tesla) highlighted that I would rather enjoy the comfort, excellent handling, and easily accessible critical functions in silence in the Lucid than listen to entertainment with a crappy ride (IMO) in the Tesla. I had to drive five and a half hours to NJ for a test drive in the Model Y, and I have to say that after a half hour in the Lucid, the 7-hour drive home (traffic) was a trial. All hail to Elon for his groundbreaking work in making EVs finally break into our driving culture and show what is possible, but I question his long-term focus.

That being said

They cancel after a turn, they do the half-press-blink-a-few-times thing, but if you go too far when lane changing and press too much, it activates the lock and it doesn't turn off unless, as astutely posted, you press the opposite direction.

I'm just not getting this. The lane-change signal in our Air operates the same way as in our 2018 Honda Odyssey and, as far as I can remember, in every other car I've owned that had a lane-change signal function (except for the new Model S). If you push too far, the signal locks and has to be disengaged manually.

That sounds like the wrong way to do things...
It's like using software to cover up the bad build quality.

Our 2021 Model S Plaid was delivered in August 2021 without active noise cancellation enabled. It arrived via OTA update a couple of months later, and we detected absolutely no difference in interior noise levels afterward.

What we have detected is a gradual increase in creaks and groans in the rear quarters of the car as the mileage climbs. When sitting in the back seat there are noises that sound like panels rubbing together when the car goes over rough patches in the road.

Both our Lucid and our Tesla have now topped 11,000 miles. The Air, which was delivered the last day of 2021 -- a couple of months after Tesla noise cancellation was activated -- was quieter than the Tesla from day one, and it remains free of creaks, groans, and rattles today.

Lucid will be able to address its many software glitches through continuing updates. We're on our second Model S, and ten years since production started and one major body update later, Tesla still has not addressed the abnormally low torsional stiffness of the Model S structure.

Active noise cancellation? What do you mean?
I'm pretty sure Lucid do something too, no? Even Honda Civics have some noise suppression.

Lucid had originally planned to use full-spectrum active noise cancellation in the Air. However, months of work with microphones, sound meters, and software programming found that active noise cancellation over the full sound spectrum was impossible to attain in an automotive environment without headphones, as the heads of passengers just moved too much to maintain the required precise ear positioning relative to speakers producing the cancellation wave. Also, they found that effective reduction of tire noise in the cabin via software required microphones to be placed near the point of origin -- i. e., at the tires, which was impractical.

Sound cancellation can be used successfully in vehicles for certain purposes at limited frequencies. For instance, our 2011 and 2018 Honda Odysseys have narrow-band active noise cancellation to counter the noise generated by cylinder deactivation in the engine. As we've never heard the cylinders deactivate, I assume it works as intended.

However, as Tesla has shown with its utterly ineffective attempt to reduce cabin noise in the new Model S with software, it's just not feasible with current technology in a car environment.

Lucid was also planning to use acoustic glass in the Air, another sound-reduction approach that Tesla uses in the new Model S but was abandoned by Lucid for reasons unclear to me (but that might have been related to weight reduction).

At the end of the day, though, the Air without active noise cancellation and acoustic glass is noticeably quieter than the new Model S with both -- a testament to just how incredibly well-engineered the body shell of the Air is.

I own a 2022 Model X Plaid
I own a 2022 Lucid Air GT

Tesla maps, controls, snappiness, responsiveness, and software make the current Lucid software seem like a very bad Atari 2600 game that keeps crashing.
Tesla stereo, creature comforts, control layout, screen placement, yoke, are intuitive if you use a smartphone... Most people use smartphones, and Tesla played off that perfectly with their UI.

Lucid wanted to be different instead of doing what works. In doing so, they made a clunky, confusing UI with severe connectivity issues and confusing dynamics. I still can't figure out how to turn off the turn signals, and it consistently tries to crush me into my wife's seat settings when I am in the driver's seat.

Driving the Lucid is incredible.

Both vehicles are amazing in their own way.

Both vehicles have quality issues.

My Tesla is much easier to live with for day to day use.

If Lucid can stay afloat, I hope they will move in a different UI placement and direction with the Gravity.
Very good comparison. Refresh X/S is the only thing from Tesla that is even worth discussing when comparing to Lucid Air. Nothing else Tesla sells is even similar.

Two other things Tesla does way better that are both so simple. The trunk is miles better than Lucid (really not sure what Lucid was thinking with that boxy trunk). And Tesla wireless charging for phones is just awesome. Not sure why Lucid did not do something similar, very outdated.

I guess this is a matter of personal preference.

We had a 2015 Model S P90D to which I quickly adjusted. Our 2021 Model S Plaid is a different story entirely, starting with the annoying yoke and moving on to the bizarre (and often confused) gear selection method. Then there are the turn signal buttons which are difficult to locate when the yoke is off center and the tiny horn button that is never ready to hand when needed. If Tesla was going to use turn signal buttons on the yoke, at least they could have followed Ferrari's rational lead and put each button on its respective side of the yoke. Stacking the two buttons on the left side is both counterintuitive and inexplicable.

Then there is the issue of having to go into a menu in the Tesla to change headlight settings, to adjust wiper functions, and to redirect A/C vent flow in the Tesla, all of which functions are directly accessible in the Lucid.

Yes, Lucid's software is still plagued by glitches, but the user accessibility of basic operational features is much superior in the Air. Based on our experience in transitioning from a 2015 to a 2021 Model S, Tesla actually seems to be going backward in user friendliness.

As for Lucid's being different to be different, what do you think of a family vehicle without a second row center armrest or any storage bins or pockets? That is certainly a unique approach to passenger utility in the Model X.
I and everyone that drives my Model S love the Yoke and the capacitive controls. Becomes second nature if you are into tech/mobile phones and anything else seems outdated. :)

I agree, I've owned AGT for 12-15 days and in this short duration people walked over to me, honked to grab my attention to praise and taken pictures of the car from all sides on highway as paparazzi.
I definitely don’t buy a car to have people praise or take pics of it. I buy it because I like the car. Really could care less what others think.

Two other things Tesla does way better that are both so simple. The trunk is miles better than Lucid (really not sure what Lucid was thinking with that boxy trunk). And Tesla wireless charging for phones is just awesome. Not sure why Lucid did not do something similar, very outdated.

In several interviews Peter Rawlinson explained the reason for the trunk design. When he joined Tesla, the engineering of the body shell had already been locked in. He always felt the Model S' torsional stiffness suffered from the hatchback design. Consequently, he dealt with this issue in the Air by using a conventional trunk with a stiff cross beam connecting the C-pillars.

If you read my above posts about the creaks and groans and excess cabin noise in our Model S Plaid that are absent from our Lucid Air, you'll perhaps see why I much prefer the Lucid trunk to the Tesla hatchback.

Since its inception and even with the body update, the Model S has had abnormally low torsional stiffness compared to other sedans of similar size. (I've actually looked up the available figures.) A flexing car body acts as a spring, and chassis engineers counter this effect by stiffening the suspension to maintain precise handling. The stiffer the car body, the more compliant the suspension can be to maintain the same level of handling precision.

I think Lucid's superb torsional stiffness has a lot to do with why it out-handles our Plaid even with a more compliant -- and comfortable -- suspension.

I and everyone that drives my Model S love the Yoke and the capacitive controls. Becomes second nature if you are into tech/mobile phones and anything else seems outdated. :)

We have had a different experience. My partner has adapted to the yoke and now finds it just okay. (He does like the clear view to the driver's binnacle, though.) I have never come to like it and was much relieved to return to a steering wheel when our Air was delivered four months after our Plaid.

And numerous reviewers, from Kyle Conner of "Out of Spec Motoring" to the "Throttle House" boys, have found the yoke cumbersome and even dangerous when trying to catch a spin-out on a track. In fact, Conner is planning to swap out the yoke in his new personal Model S Plaid with an aftermarket wheel that is in the works.

My brother owns a 2018 Model 3, which he loves. He's a techie and pores over every development in the EV space. He house sat for us for three weeks during a recent trip and drove both our Plaid and our Lucid during that time. He hated the yoke to the point that he said he would not get another Tesla if a yoke was all that was available.

We have had a different experience. My partner has adapted to the yoke and now finds it just okay. (He does like the clear view to the driver's binnacle, though.) I have never come to like it and was much relieved to return to a steering wheel when our Air was delivered four months after our Plaid.

And numerous reviewers, from Kyle Conner of "Out of Spec Motoring" to the "Throttle House" boys, have found the yoke cumbersome and even dangerous when trying to catch a spin-out on a track. In fact, Conner is planning to swap out the yoke in his new personal Model S Plaid with an aftermarket wheel that is in the works.

My brother owns a 2018 Model 3, which he loves. He's a techie and pores over every development in the EV space. He house sat for us for three weeks during a recent trip and drove both our Plaid and our Lucid during that time. He hated the yoke to the point that he said he would not get another Tesla if a yoke was all that was available.
I guess everyone is different. Though, until someone has driven a Tesla with a yoke more than just a test drive really has not experienced the yoke. When I first got the Model S, I thought I would hate the yoke. I wish the Model Y had the option of getting the yoke, as the non yoke Tesla just look ancient. It took me about a little while to adapt and now that I have I just love it. Even my wife loves and my 80 year old Dad. LOL.

Live in a snow climate too and had not limitations during snow season, parking, etc…. I don’t track, so not sure about that.

And Tesla wireless charging for phones is just awesome. Not sure why Lucid did not do something similar, very outdated.

On this we agree. I am mystified by Lucid's approach to wireless (non)charging. Our Plaid has four wireless charging pads, all of which work reliably, are easily accessible, and keep the phone in ready view.

Though, until someone has driven a Tesla with a yoke more than just a test drive really has not experienced the yoke.

Kyle Conner owns a Model S Plaid as a personal car, and he has road-tripped it from California to Colorado twice. My brother spent three weeks with the yoke. I have been driving it for over a year. These are more than brief first impressions.

It sounds like you really don't like Tesla, or it could be your preference, maybe.

I'm a tech junkie kind of person, and I enjoy something that's different. This is exactly why I bought the two cars I own.

I don't often activate turn signals when turning, so I have not encountered that problem. I have had a problem turning off the Lucid's turn signals after turning, or changing lanes.

I like the yoke, the unrestricted view it provides, and I like the extra space I have without a shifter involved. I do not like not having a central horn button on my yoke.

The Tesla does not have issues requiring one to go into menus to adjust any of the things you mentioned. This seems to be user error. One can simply press the wiper or headlight button on the wheel, select what you want with the control roller, and confirm with the roller button.

I like the 6 seat configuration. We found a cooler that fits perfectly between the seats with exterior cup holders, and we take it out when we need more space for the dog. Ideally, I would have opted for the 5 seat configuration, but it was not an option.

Thanks for the good questions and comments.
Why don't you use your turn signals? It annoys me constantly when drivers don't use their turn signals and I end up stranded behind someone turning who didn't give me notice!

On this we agree. I am mystified by Lucid's approach to wireless (non)charging. Our Plaid has four wireless charging pads, all of which work reliably, are easily accessible, and keep the phone in ready view.
I actually like that Lucid keeps the phone out of view. I think that will make even more sense once CarPlay/Android Auto ships. But the design of the charger itself is a real head scratcher. Given how many different phone sizes there are, and how often they change, large pads with magnets seem to be the optimal design at this point. I suppose they just didn't want to give up so much surface area?

I'm hoping the charger is one of the first "minor" interior hardware changes they have on their list of improvements for future models.

I actually like that Lucid keeps the phone out of view. I think that will make even more sense once CarPlay/Android Auto ships. But the design of the charger itself is a real head scratcher. Given how many different phone sizes there are, and how often they change, large pads with magnets seem to be the optimal design at this point. I suppose they just didn't want to give up so much surface area?

I'm hoping the charger is one of the first "minor" interior hardware changes they have on their list of improvements for future models.
The odd part to me is that the Model S had this exact design flaw. It isn’t like this was unknown to Lucid. Sort of seems like it was introduced out of stubbornness rather practicality.

Back