Any Lucid owners who are previously Tesla owners? Curious about your thoughts on your experience and if you prefer Lucid

I guess this is a matter of personal preference.

We had a 2015 Model S P90D to which I quickly adjusted. Our 2021 Model S Plaid is a different story entirely, starting with the annoying yoke and moving on to the bizarre (and often confused) gear selection method. Then there are the turn signal buttons which are difficult to locate when the yoke is off center and the tiny horn button that is never ready to hand when needed. If Tesla was going to use turn signal buttons on the yoke, at least they could have followed Ferrari's rational lead and put each button on its respective side of the yoke. Stacking the two buttons on the left side is both counterintuitive and inexplicable.

Then there is the issue of having to go into a menu in the Tesla to change headlight settings, to adjust wiper functions, and to redirect A/C vent flow in the Tesla, all of which functions are directly accessible in the Lucid.

Yes, Lucid's software is still plagued by glitches, but the user accessibility of basic operational features is much superior in the Air. Based on our experience in transitioning from a 2015 to a 2021 Model S, Tesla actually seems to be going backward in user friendliness.

As for Lucid's being different to be different, what do you think of a family vehicle without a second row center armrest or any storage bins or pockets? That is certainly a unique approach to passenger utility in the Model X.
It sounds like you really don't like Tesla, or it could be your preference, maybe.

I'm a tech junkie kind of person, and I enjoy something that's different. This is exactly why I bought the two cars I own.

I don't often activate turn signals when turning, so I have not encountered that problem. I have had a problem turning off the Lucid's turn signals after turning, or changing lanes.

I like the yoke, the unrestricted view it provides, and I like the extra space I have without a shifter involved. I do not like not having a central horn button on my yoke.

The Tesla does not have issues requiring one to go into menus to adjust any of the things you mentioned. This seems to be user error. One can simply press the wiper or headlight button on the wheel, select what you want with the control roller, and confirm with the roller button.

I like the 6 seat configuration. We found a cooler that fits perfectly between the seats with exterior cup holders, and we take it out when we need more space for the dog. Ideally, I would have opted for the 5 seat configuration, but it was not an option.

Thanks for the good questions and comments.

I don't often activate turn signals when turning, so I have not encountered that problem. I have had a problem turning off the Lucid's turn signals after turning, or changing lanes.
You… don’t use turn signals?

You… don’t use turn signals?
LOL - I use them, but in general, I turn them on before I turn, not AS I am turning! 😅

Poor grammar on my part - 🤡

I should have written, "I don't use turn signals in the middle of when I am turning... I activate them prior to making a turn or changing lanes"

Thank you for the correction! 👌

I have had a problem turning off the Lucid's turn signals after turning, or changing lanes.

??? Lucid's turn signals are self-cancelling upon completion of a turn. It also has the same lane change feature as most cars, whereby a gentle push on the stalk causes the signal to pulse a few times and self-cancel. In short, the turn signals operate the same as every car I've owned over the past decades (except the new Model S).

On the other hand, I can't count the times I've hit the wrong turn signal button on the Model S Plaid when the yoke was off center. I, too, activate the signal well before a turn, but local roads have many long sweepers which begin well before you reach the point for signaling a turn, thus causing one to search for the correct button to push.

Last edited:
It sounds like you really don't like Tesla, or it could be your preference, maybe.

We're on our second Tesla, and I bought my brother a Model 3 which he loves. It was that first 2015 Tesla that turned me into an EV addict.

However, the Lucid Air has shown me that a high-performance EV sedan can also handle precisely without a harsh ride, remain free of groans and creaks as the odometer climbs, and offer a roomy cabin with incredible rear seat room for given exterior dimensions.

I don't dislike Tesla. I just find that Lucid has moved the needle in chassis, drivetrain, and cabin engineering in ways that Tesla hasn't.

I just came out a restaurant tonight. The owner couple followed me to my AGT with the wife led the way and did most of talking.
“Is that your Lucid?”
“Look over there, that is our Model X.”
“I never seen this car in person before, you mind we go in take a look?”
“I always want this car, but there is no studio in Houston for us to check it out first.”
“Wow!”
“Wow!”
“Wow!”

Then I hear all the comparisons these couple made with their Model-X… The most standing out comment was “I don’t feel our car should be priced at $100k+, your Lucid warrant that price.”

Just another day of being a Lucid owner, I never had any car in the past get more attention than this car, even 5 months after delivery…🥴😬😯

I’ve found this to be the case near Miami where people apparently dont understand driving…
I thought it’s only in BMW drivers culture…
(Blinker Means What?)

??? Lucid's turn signals are self-cancelling upon completion of a turn. It also has the same lane change feature as most cars, whereby a gentle push on the stalk causes the signal to pulse a few times and self-cancel. In short, the turn signals operate the same as every car I've owned over the past decades (except the new Model S).

On the other hand, I can't count the times I've hit the wrong turn signal button on the Model S Plaid when the yoke was off center. I, too, activate the signal well before a turn, but local roads have many long sweepers which begin well before you reach the point for signaling a turn, thus causing one to search for the correct button to push.
They cancel after a turn, they do the half-press-blink-a-few-times thing, but if you go too far when lane changing and press too much, it activates the lock and it doesn't turn off unless, as astutely posted, you press the opposite direction...

Nice, well I'm spoiled in my area with the Tesla turn signals working for me, and not so spoiled with the Lucid ones. Maybe it's the omission of the mechanical catch part that's not clicking with my brain. Oh well... I will figure it out I guess.

Hope that Lucid can make some meaningful changes to the UI to get the car a more fitting solution for such a nifty beast. This car deserves better.

They cancel after a turn, they do the half-press-blink-a-few-times thing, but if you go too far when lane changing and press too much, it activates the lock and it doesn't turn off unless, as astutely posted, you press the opposite direction...

Nice, well I'm spoiled in my area with the Tesla turn signals working for me, and not so spoiled with the Lucid ones. Maybe it's the omission of the mechanical catch part that's not clicking with my brain. Oh well... I will figure it out I guess.

Hope that Lucid can make some meaningful changes to the UI to get the car a more fitting solution for such a nifty beast. This car deserves better.
It did take me a week or two to get used to the lack of a mechanical catch.

You’ll like 2.0, I’m certain.

Specs on paper aside, I am curious about the actual day to day experience. From what I gathered, Lucid's software is clunky.

How are people's user experience with the app?

Do people generally prefer Tesla over Lucid? Anyone who has much better experience owning Lucid over Tesla?
Not to sound rude, but why are you comparing Apples (Lucid) to Lemons (not oranges)? Later is 14 years in making and other is 1 years in production. Just for the sake of credibility I just sold new Model X (new yoke steering edition) and still own M3, don't like to compare Apples and Lemons, they are Class apart.

I just came out a restaurant tonight. The owner couple followed me to my AGT with the wife led the way and did most of talking.
“Is that your Lucid?”
“Look over there, that is our Model X.”
“I never seen this car in person before, you mind we go in take a look?”
“I always want this car, but there is no studio in Houston for us to check it out first.”
“Wow!”
“Wow!”
“Wow!”

Then I hear all the comparisons these couple made with their Model-X… The most standing out comment was “I don’t feel our car should be priced at $100k+, your Lucid warrant that price.”

Just another day of being a Lucid owner, I never had any car in the past get more attention than this car, even 5 months after delivery…🥴😬😯
I agree, I've owned AGT for 12-15 days and in this short duration people walked over to me, honked to grab my attention to praise and taken pictures of the car from all sides on highway as paparazzi.

If some of the above posters laud over the Tesla software so much, they should have just kept their Teslas and not purchased a Lucid. I definitely do not want Lucid's UX to turn into Tesla's UX.

I find the Lucid UX a lot more intuitive to use, albeit slow and laggy, compared to the Tesla UX. I also vastly prefer the aesthetic of the Lucid UX over the Tesla UX. I've said it before, but the Tesla interface had too many useless things to detract and distract the user from the stuff that's actually important.

I agree, I've owned AGT for 12-15 days and in this short duration people walked over to me, honked to grab my attention to praise and taken pictures of the car from all sides on highway as paparazzi.
lol .. you must live in a better part of Charlotte than I do.

Although one of my daughter's friends this past week dropped her off at the house and was excited to see the car, took photos, and told me he had purchased LUCID stock because he believes in the company's products .. 👍
My daughter later said to me, "Boy Dad, I didn't think anyone would even know what a Lucid Air was" .. 🙄

Even though our Model S Plaid has active noise cancellation and our Lucid Air doesn't, the Lucid is noticeably quieter on the same roads. (Both have 21" wheels.)
Active noise cancellation? What do you mean?
I'm pretty sure Lucid do something too, no? Even Honda Civics have some noise suppression.

Active noise cancellation? What do you mean?
I'm pretty sure Lucid do something too, no? Even Honda Civics have some noise suppression.
Active noise cancellation means using the speakers to attempt to compensate for outside noise. The Lucid is entirely passive.

Active noise cancellation means using the speakers to attempt to compensate for outside noise. The Lucid is entirely passive.
So that means the road noise itself is still there if you don't turn on the speakers?

Back