Any Downside to Not Plugging In At Home Every Night?

Those friends are your best reference - ask them. Most likely they are part of a solar install? If yes, the "transfer switch" that everyone keeps mentioning is part of the solar inverter (I have that setup at my home).
Yes most of them have solar as do I. My solar array was installed five years ago and I had them add the 14-50 outlet at that time so I could charge the Panamera. I just left the charging cable (J1772) plugged in all the time because it wasn't worth it to try to charge the Panamera when traveling as it only had a 30 mile range.

I was referring to the plug into the 14-50 not the J1772. People have written here that it is not a good idea to plug and unplug from the 14-50.

I understood that was the plug to which you were referring. But I still don't understand why you need to take the charger cable with you so often. There's almost no amount of local driving you could squeeze into a day that would exhaust the range. And on most long trips, wouldn't you rely on DC fast chargers (which are much faster) unless you were parking at a campground or at someone's house where you were using their outlets? And how often do you take trips in those last two categories?

Yes I did see that post. I'm not sure what the restrictions are in Arizona but the local EV Expert electrician here has reviewed my electrical setup and told me the Lucid Home Charging Station for a V2H home power backup should not be an overwhelming installation. I have numerous friends who have the Tesla Battery backups installed for home power backup and they haven't had any unusual requirements for installation so I'm not sure why the Lucid option should be more complicated??
Do you already have an emergency shutoff switch, like in the picture? I would think that would be the only extra thing needed. We have one for our Tesla roof and powerwalls, but don't have it on our other house which just has regular solar panels and no backup storage.

Attachments

• 20220301_112219.jpg
    20220301_112219.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 128
Do you already have an emergency shutoff switch, like in the picture? I would think that would be the only extra thing needed. We have one for our Tesla roof and powerwalls, but don't have it on our other house which just has regular solar panels and no backup storage.
No not at this time.

I definitely do want the capability to have the power backup for my home so I will be purchasing the Lucid Home Charging Station. I already have an electrician lined up to do the installation and he has reviewed my electrical setup and has had some contact with Lucid. Based on his limited information at this point he is relatively confident he can get it done when it becomes available.
I understand the expectation. But, I wouldn't count the chickens yet.

Rearly? I thought every solar install required an emergency shutoff for the Fire department
I thought it was only needed if you can go into self powered mode during a power outage?

I thought it was only needed if you can go into self powered mode during a power outage?
My installer told me it was necessary and was labeled as the shutoff for the fire department to cut power completely if need be.

My installer told me it was necessary and was labeled as the shutoff for the fire department to cut power completely if need be.
I may be showing my ignorance but I don't recall any discussion about a shutoff for the fire department. Everything was permitted and inspected by the City. Here is a photo of my SunPower "control box" and perhaps there is a shutoff in that box??

Attachments

• IMG_3889.jpg
    IMG_3889.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 131
I may be showing my ignorance but I don't recall any discussion about a shutoff for the fire department. Everything was permitted and inspected by the City. Here is a photo of my SunPower "control box" and perhaps there is a shutoff in that box??
Okay so I just read the decal on the panel door. Now I really feel foolish. hydbob is right again!!
IMG_3892.jpg

My install was only a couple of years ago - and it was very clearly required by the city & fire dept - including large red labels.
I would be surprised it was inside the box (not an electrician) since for my install easy and rapid access was a key requirement.

This is my shutoff

20220319_125431.jpg

Also, electrician just finished installing our 100 amp. He ran a 100 amp then split it into 2 14-50 plugs for 2 chargers. Talked to him and we can have the Lucid Home Charger wired to 1 and then another charger wired to the other and just use 1 or the other as needed.

20220319_125303.jpg

This is my shutoff

View attachment 1107

Also, electrician just finished installing our 100 amp. He ran a 100 amp then split it into 2 14-50 plugs for 2 chargers. Talked to him and we can have the Lucid Home Charger wired to 1 and then another charger wired to the other and just use 1 or the other as needed.

View attachment 1108
Okay. Has your electrician had any contact with Lucid regarding the Home Charging Station? Our guy has only had very limited information up to this point and advised me to wait until it is released to do anything since we already have a 14-50 outlet.

Okay. Has your electrician had any contact with Lucid regarding the Home Charging Station? Our guy has only had very limited information up to this point and advised me to wait until it is released to do anything since we already have a 14-50 outlet.
Nope, just did what Lucid said and ran a 100amp line. Our setup was a little different, we have a 2 200 amp sub connections where we installed a 100amp breaker because our second line is used only for the pool equipment and a guest house.

This is my shutoff

View attachment 1107

View attachment 1108
In finally went to take a picture of my shutoff … which seems even more involved that yours @hydbob … damn city inspectors :)

37270C1C-39BB-45C6-89BC-735FE5D794BD.jpeg

@SaratogaLefty , when people advice against plugging-in and removing everyday, they are not talking about the J1772 connector that connects to your car. They are talking about the hefty NEMA 14-50/30 plug that you connect to the wall socket.
Why would you need to unplug from the wall socket if you leave the cable at home? I don't see a case when you need to travel with the cable daily since this cable is for the NEMA 14-50 plug?

Personally, I want to have a cord I leave in at my primary home and another to take with me for when we make trips to the beach or to our second home.

Yep, personal preference is always to have a charger in car at all times. Plus the Fed is helping with a 30% EV charger credit so why not!

Yep, personal preference is always to have a charger in car at all times. Plus the Fed is helping with a 30% EV charger credit so why not!
So keeping the charger in the car at all times helps/prevent what?

So keeping the charger in the car at all times helps/prevent what?
Peace of mind for whatever. Same reason people keep toilet paper, water, fix a flats, whatever emergency stuff is needed.

Let's say I run out of juice, I could find a generator to give me 220 but if I don't have a plug and cable then how do I charge up?

Back